Traveling Physical Therapists (Outpatient)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderlustpt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Many of the traveling threads on this site are outdated so I wanted to start a new one. I’m a DPT with 1 year experience. I work in an outpatient, ortho setting and I make just under 65k. Salary wise, I that’s right on the mark for the location that I live in. I’m looking to boost my income a bit and have the opportunity to travel while I don’t have strict ties to my current location. I’m considering spending some time as a traveling PT. It’s a difficult decision for me because I really like the clinic I work at and I am nervous about making a decision I’ll regret.

I have a few questions for traveling PTs:

1. Is it difficult to find outpatient/ortho traveling assignments? I’m not opposed to doing inpatient PT but would like to primarily focus on developing my outpatient skills.

2. Do you find that there is much of a lapse in work between travel assignments? If so, does it get financially stressful? Or does the higher pay help to justify the extra time off?

3. How much vacation time do you usually take? Is it unpaid - in between assignments?

4. Are you happy with your decision to become a travel PT?

Thanks in advanced for any input you’re able to provide – happy holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Many of the traveling threads on this site are outdated so I wanted to start a new one. I’m a DPT with 1 year experience. I work in an outpatient, ortho setting and I make just under 65k. Salary wise, I that’s right on the mark for the location that I live in. I’m looking to boost my income a bit and have the opportunity to travel while I don’t have strict ties to my current location. I’m considering spending some time as a traveling PT. It’s a difficult decision for me because I really like the clinic I work at and I am nervous about making a decision I’ll regret.

1. Is it difficult to find outpatient/ortho traveling assignments? I’m not opposed to doing inpatient PT but would like to primarily focus on developing my outpatient skills.

2. Do you find that there is much of a lapse in work between travel assignments? If so, does it get financially stressful? Or does the higher pay help to justify the extra time off?

3. How much vacation time do you usually take? Is it unpaid - in between assignments?

Hi,
most travel agencies say it is difficult to find outpatient settings because they make more more from placing you in SNF. I am a PT going on 2 years of experience. One year fulltime outpatient and like you, I wanted to make more. I currently work fulltime as a contract PT and i make more per hour, weekly, and monthly than i did as a permanent fulltime PT. The longest lap between jobs for me was a day or two. Research Stambush Staffing. They offer local contract, travel, and permanent placement. They have been around since 1989. The owner is a lawyer and a veteran. He does things by the book.

Reactions: 1 user

1. Most travel assignments are not outpatient. Most are SNFs, home health, inpatient. I did however do one outpatient assignment in El Paso, TX. It was a great clinic with great staff. You will have to be flexible with location and most clinics want at least one year of experience.

2. There is only a lapse if you change recruiters, in which case the credentialing process can take 2-3 days. If you don't change recruiters, then you can start your next assignment the week after the previous assignment ended.

3. About 4 weeks a year. No it's not unpaid. One unfortunate benefit of travel is that you accrue very little PTO.

4. I'm glad I got to see new places and visit family, but there are some disadvantages: 1) short-term housing; 2) moving all your belongings; 3) no chance for overtime; 4) 1 day PTO per 12 weeks; 5) learning a new EMR every three months; 6) changing your address every three months; 7) inability to build a network; 8) saying goodbye to people you met; 9) living in bad locations- I've been lucky, however.

Reactions: 1 users