Trauma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
which residency programs out there see the most trauma? Would a program such as Carl T. Hayden see much trauma? Thanks.

Oncogene

Members don't see this ad.

which residency programs out there see the most trauma? Would a program such as Carl T. Hayden see much trauma? Thanks.

Oncogene

UMDNJ in NJ sees lots of trauma. The residents are on call every other day (ortho has the other days for foot and ankle). The days that pod is on call they get called for all the foot and ankle cases. Newark NJ has one of the highest crime rates so there is lots of trauma and UMDNJ university hospital is the state trauma center.

U of F Shand's Hospital in Jacksonville Florida has lots of trauma as well but the orthopods get all the foot and ankle cases and the pod residents only spend a few months out of the entire 3 years with truama.

Ohio state sees trauma but I do not know how they split there call with the orthos.

UMDNJ in NJ sees lots of trauma. The residents are on call every other day (ortho has the other days for foot and ankle). The days that pod is on call they get called for all the foot and ankle cases. Newark NJ has one of the highest crime rates so there is lots of trauma and UMDNJ university hospital is the state trauma center.

U of F Shand's Hospital in Jacksonville Florida has lots of trauma as well but the orthopods get all the foot and ankle cases and the pod residents only spend a few months out of the entire 3 years with truama.

Ohio state sees trauma but I do not know how they split there call with the orthos.

Detroit Medical Center - Wayne State U is the trauma king! They cover 3 level one trauma centers and one level two. They have foot trauma all of the time and rotate ankle trauma weekly. John Peter Smith in Texas sees a lot. I don't think any of the three programs in Arizona see a lot of trauma or are known for trauma though I'm sure they get some. On AACPM.org in the residency directory, programs will sometimes list a "program emphasis". You may want to look there as some programs have a trauma emphasis listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is still around Broadlawns sees a lot of trauma too.

If it is still around Broadlawns sees a lot of trauma too.

Comparatively speaking, they get more trauma than anything. However, after spending time at other programs, I have to say that I'm not real impressed with their volume, nor was the CPME :laugh:

Some of the NYC programs are pretty intense and are level I trauma.

I also heard the Tucker program in Georgia is up there as well (not 100 percent sure on that one though). And also, the residency programs with Yale and West Penn as well.

Krabmas, The Ohio State program gives both the ortho and DPM residents opportunities for trauma. It is actually a pretty neat program because they have 5 ortho spots and foot and ankle fellowships (which always go filled by their residents) and they scrub in with the DPMs. I was very impressed when I visited them - the only thing that we disagreed upon was the fact that I'm a Michigan native and would never cave in to the buckeye pressure lol

Oncogene

Since I have some time to kill before my fellowship starts on Monday, I figured I will add to this thread. Temple University program in Philadelphia see a lot of trauma. They alternate foot and ankle trauma call with the orthopedic guys every other day. Temple University program is also open to students from all schools now.

Some of the NYC programs are pretty intense and are level I trauma.

I also heard the Tucker program in Georgia is up there as well (not 100 percent sure on that one though). And also, the residency programs with Yale and West Penn as well.

Krabmas, The Ohio State program gives both the ortho and DPM residents opportunities for trauma. It is actually a pretty neat program because they have 5 ortho spots and foot and ankle fellowships (which always go filled by their residents) and they scrub in with the DPMs. I was very impressed when I visited them - the only thing that we disagreed upon was the fact that I'm a Michigan native and would never cave in to the buckeye pressure lol

Be very weary of any NYC program. The scope of practice is limited and you must scrub with ortho to get any ankle cases. The other docs in the hospital are also unsure of what podiatry does most of the time, more so than what happens in other places.

The information posted here regarding the OSU program is somewhat confusing to students considering programs. As a graduate of the OSU residency I feel it necessary to clear this up. There are no "fellowships" in foot and ankle surgery that "always go filled by their residents". There has been a 6 month foot and ankle fellowship completed by a Grant resident. There has been one OSU podiatry resident complete 1 year of residency training with the ortho foot and ankle group affiliated with OSU, and 1 Pod resident that completed 1 year fellowship after graduation with that same group. This has been over a 6 year period, the total time that the OSU Podiatry program has been in existance.

Secondly, the response left me with the impression that the ortho residents scrub in with the podiatry staff. If my impression is correct, this is absolutely not the case. The orthopaedic residents do NOT scrub into cases done by podiatrist. There have been a couple of cases where ortho fellows have scrubbed to harvest graft for an OATS procedure, but they do not scrub in as a part of their training.

Lastly, there is no division of trauma call at the U. Ortho takes all trauma call other than patients that they do not want to deal with. In fact, there is no attending call schedule at OSU for podiatry.

And the only reason you didn't bend to the Buckeye pressure is because you weren't here long enough to experience our hospitality. LOL

The information posted here regarding the OSU program is somewhat confusing to students considering programs. As a graduate of the OSU residency I feel it necessary to clear this up. There are no "fellowships" in foot and ankle surgery that "always go filled by their residents". There has been a 6 month foot and ankle fellowship completed by a Grant resident. There has been one OSU podiatry resident complete 1 year of residency training with the ortho foot and ankle group affiliated with OSU, and 1 Pod resident that completed 1 year fellowship after graduation with that same group. This has been over a 6 year period, the total time that the OSU Podiatry program has been in existance.

Secondly, the response left me with the impression that the ortho residents scrub in with the podiatry staff. If my impression is correct, this is absolutely not the case. The orthopaedic residents do NOT scrub into cases done by podiatrist. There have been a couple of cases where ortho fellows have scrubbed to harvest graft for an OATS procedure, but they do not scrub in as a part of their training.

Lastly, there is no division of trauma call at the U. Ortho takes all trauma call other than patients that they do not want to deal with. In fact, there is no attending call schedule at OSU for podiatry.

And the only reason you didn't bend to the Buckeye pressure is because you weren't here long enough to experience our hospitality. LOL

Thank you for the clarification. We always appreciate input from practicing docs.

how do pods get trauma? If it is with ortho how long is the rotation? Are pods on call for podiatry?

It seems to me that at most of the programs ortho will pretty much get the trauma. That is a little discouraging because the programs that do get alot of trauma are so few. So, What happens if you don't match at DMC? Are there any good year long fellowships? Thanks.

oncogene

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to me that at most of the programs ortho will pretty much get the trauma. That is a little discouraging because the programs that do get alot of trauma are so few. So, What happens if you don't match at DMC? Are there any good year long fellowships? Thanks.

oncogene

No, you'd be suprised. There are actually a fair amount of hospitals out there where pods see trauma. DMC, John Peter Smith (Texas), JFK (Miami), Kaiser system in Cali, UMDNJ, etc. Don't get the wrong impression though. Even if a program isn't known for trauma per say, most residency programs will get sufficient trauma for training.

how do pods get trauma? If it is with ortho how long is the rotation? Are pods on call for podiatry?

Krabmas, I can't speak for other hospitals, but at OSU, the residents get enough trauma for their training. It is referred by FM doctors and urgent care facilities. Occasionally there will be a case by an Ortho doc at the hospitals and the podiatry residents will ask if they can scrub with them if there is no ortho resident with the doctor. There is no division of call between the two programs (pod/ortho), however. Residents of Podiatry will not be called to the ERs to see calcaneal, ankle, forefoot or any fracture of the lower extremity, except on rare occasions.

There are no rotations with ortho trauma. During the 1st year, the intern year, residents rotate with trauma surg. This rotation gives them the experience of handling trauma patients, but there is no lower extremity surgical care involved in this rotation.

There is no podiatry call schedules at either the OSU East or Main facilities. I recommend you discuss this as well with the current residents at any facility that you are considering for residency.

Krabmas, I can't speak for other hospitals, but at OSU, the residents get enough trauma for their training. It is referred by FM doctors and urgent care facilities. Occasionally there will be a case by an Ortho doc at the hospitals and the podiatry residents will ask if they can scrub with them if there is no ortho resident with the doctor. There is no division of call between the two programs (pod/ortho), however. Residents of Podiatry will not be called to the ERs to see calcaneal, ankle, forefoot or any fracture of the lower extremity, except on rare occasions.

There are no rotations with ortho trauma. During the 1st year, the intern year, residents rotate with trauma surg. This rotation gives them the experience of handling trauma patients, but there is no lower extremity surgical care involved in this rotation.

There is no podiatry call schedules at either the OSU East or Main facilities. I recommend you discuss this as well with the current residents at any facility that you are considering for residency.

thank you for the input, and i appologize if my previous post was not so clear - I simply put in my impression about the program after visiting it for a weekend - but obviously you've spent 3 years there so you have a great prespective. My understanding from the director is that the program gets alot of volume for surgical cases - is that true? or is this a "selling pitch"?

In the programs current status, I would classify is as "enough" cases.

Bully, I'm guessing that you graduated a little while ago. As you probably know, residency programs are constantly changing. After speaking with a good friend that was just there for a month, podiatry now takes foot and ankle trauma call at OSU East, which is apparently far less busy than main. They don't take any call at main. The F&A fellow there right now is a podiatrist as well. Anyway, my buddy really liked Dr. Block and the residents. He had a good experience at the program.

In my initial response to the trauma call rotation at OSU I stated that "There are no "fellowships" in foot and ankle surgery that "always go filled by their residents". " From your reply, I guess you are aware that there is a podiatrist that is doing a fellowship with the ortho foot and ankle group affiliated with OSU. However, I think he is from the Detroit program. I believe there may be a podiatrist next year as well, but am not certain at this point. I am fairly certain that he/she will not be from OSU either. One of our graduate is working for that group. He is not a fellow, not training with them, but is an independant doc in the group. Therefore I stand by the statement that no fellowships in foot and ankle ALWAYS go filled by OSU residents.

I also stated "there is no division of trauma call at the U. Ortho takes all trauma call other than patients that they do not want to deal with. In fact, there is no attending call schedule at OSU for podiatry." Don't get me wrong. If podiatry happens to get a call, they will take it, and when they get it, it is stuff that ortho doesn't want. There is NO formal division of trauma call at the U. I would be curious to ask your friend how often he was called in during the month he spent here. This is a very busy trauma hospital and even though East is not as busy as main, there are lots of foot and ankle trauma that goes into that place.

I like Dr. Block and think the residents are the most fantastic group of guys to hang out with and teach. I don't think there are a better bunch of guys around.

You are correct. I do know that residency programs are constantly changing. I have been actively involved with the residency program since its inception. I have seen each and every change that the program has gone through.

In my initial response to the trauma call rotation at OSU I stated that "There are no "fellowships" in foot and ankle surgery that "always go filled by their residents". " From your reply, I guess you are aware that there is a podiatrist that is doing a fellowship with the ortho foot and ankle group affiliated with OSU. However, I think he is from the Detroit program. I believe there may be a podiatrist next year as well, but am not certain at this point. I am fairly certain that he/she will not be from OSU either. One of our graduate is working for that group. He is not a fellow, not training with them, but is an independant doc in the group. Therefore I stand by the statement that no fellowships in foot and ankle ALWAYS go filled by OSU residents.

I also stated "there is no division of trauma call at the U. Ortho takes all trauma call other than patients that they do not want to deal with. In fact, there is no attending call schedule at OSU for podiatry." Don't get me wrong. If podiatry happens to get a call, they will take it, and when they get it, it is stuff that ortho doesn't want. There is NO formal division of trauma call at the U. I would be curious to ask your friend how often he was called in during the month he spent here. This is a very busy trauma hospital and even though East is not as busy as main, there are lots of foot and ankle trauma that goes into that place.

I like Dr. Block and think the residents are the most fantastic group of guys to hang out with and teach. I don't think there are a better bunch of guys around.

You are correct. I do know that residency programs are constantly changing. I have been actively involved with the residency program since its inception. I have seen each and every change that the program has gone through.

You must be confusing me with one of the other posters. Yes, I am aware that the F&A fellow is from DMC (I was at DMC late last year). My friend didn't say how many times they went in but just said that they were called in a handfull of times.

You may be correct about me confusing posters. I have just recently signed up for this sight after a posting was made regarding the OSU residency program and still figuring out how it works. The posting was brought to my attention by one of our residents when he notices that the information posted was incorrect. Someone placed a posting on 1/06/2006 at 8:42a.m. that stated "they have 5 ortho spots and foot and ankle fellowships (which always go filled by their residents) and they scrub in with the DPMs." Since you stated in your, I guess it was your latest posting, that you were aware that the fellow was from DMC (I was at DMC late last year), then I must assume you were not the one making the 1/06/2006 posting that I cited above. I think the posting was by podman. I thought in my last reply that I was replying to jonwill's posting. That posting left me with the impression that some of the members may feel that I had graduated from the program a long time ago, left the area and that changes had been made to the program that I was not aware of. I'll figure this posting out eventually.

I'm not really concerned about who posted it in as much as I am that accurate information is presented so that students can make an informed decision regarding what residency to choose. It shouldn't be based on information that is incorrect. The information I provide is based on 6-1/2 years of active involvement with the program. And, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying OSU is not a good program. My comments are directed at specific inaccurate statements made in this forum.

You may be correct about me confusing posters. I have just recently signed up for this sight after a posting was made regarding the OSU residency program and still figuring out how it works. The posting was brought to my attention by one of our residents when he notices that the information posted was incorrect. Someone placed a posting on 1/06/2006 at 8:42a.m. that stated "they have 5 ortho spots and foot and ankle fellowships (which always go filled by their residents) and they scrub in with the DPMs." Since you stated in your, I guess it was your latest posting, that you were aware that the fellow was from DMC (I was at DMC late last year), then I must assume you were not the one making the 1/06/2006 posting that I cited above. I think the posting was by podman. I thought in my last reply that I was replying to jonwill's posting. That posting left me with the impression that some of the members may feel that I had graduated from the program a long time ago, left the area and that changes had been made to the program that I was not aware of. I'll figure this posting out eventually.

I'm not really concerned about who posted it in as much as I am that accurate information is presented so that students can make an informed decision regarding what residency to choose. It shouldn't be based on information that is incorrect. The information I provide is based on 6-1/2 years of active involvement with the program. And, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying OSU is not a good program. My comments are directed at specific inaccurate statements made in this forum.

Bully, would it be fair to say that podiatry at Grant Medical Center gets a lot more trauma than OSU?

I can only speculate that they probably do, but I really don't know how much trauma they get. My speculation is based on the number of attending community physicians that are involved in their program. There seems to be many more physicians actively involved in their program. This is only speculation and I can't state that this as fact. I don't know if they split any of the ER call with ortho or get none of it.