***##@$()&%/=***Transplant Surgery 2016***##@$()&%/=***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedrjojo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably a little early, as we are >2 months before most places start taking applications, but if there is anyone else looking at transplant this year, we can track interview dates/offers or whatnot.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying this cycle. Mostly just have picked the places I want to apply and asked ppl to write LOR thus far

Members don't see this ad :)
PGY2 likely going into transplant, would be interested in any insight into the programs you guys interview at once the process starts.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably a little early, as we are >2 months before most places start taking applications, but if there is anyone else looking at transplant this year, we can track interview dates/offers or whatnot.
Aren't you on, like, your sixth year of surgical residency? And now you're looking to do a fellowship? :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
Aren't you on, like, your sixth year of surgical residency? And now you're looking to do a fellowship? :eek:
I'm a clinical 4, but yes, I did 2 years of research so i am a PGY6. Most residents in academic surgical residencies take 1-2 years for research and are thus PGY6 or 7 when they graduate, and most residents do a fellowship after graduation. Surgery isn't for the faint of heart... I'll be 35 when I'm all finished with formal training programs if all goes according to plan

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a clinical 4, but yes, I did 2 years of research so i am a PGY6. Most residents in academic surgical residencies take 1-2 years for research and are thus PGY6 or 7 when they graduate, and most residents do a fellowship after graduation. Surgery isn't for the faint of heart... I'll be 35 when I'm all finished with formal training programs if all goes according to plan
If I do everything right and do the shortest residency possible, I'll be 36 when I'm done, so I know your pain, but that's largely my fault for being a nontrad :p Can't imagine doing 9 years post-grad though, that's insane.

We keep things less formal in transplant
For some reason I thought you were a trauma surgeon. I must be thinking of someone else. Unless it's just becuase you keep things ambiguous in transplant lol.

I've been told that if you do a transplant fellowship you're able to then sit for your critical care boards as well (if you'd want to)...anybody know if there's any truth to that?

I've been told that if you do a transplant fellowship you're able to then sit for your critical care boards as well (if you'd want to)...anybody know if there's any truth to that?

I'm sure you could pass your critical care boards. Not sure you could practice good critical care.

To answer your question- I don't think you'd qualify to sit for CC boards. ABS requires 9 months of CC.

Not that many are following along, but this is what I know so far:

Henry Ford: April 26th, May 10th
Columbia: April 9th
MGH: date still to be determined
John Hopkins: date still to be determined
Penn: March 16th, April 13th
USC: Wednesdays in March
UCLA: April 1st-2nd (2 day event?)
Maryland: Feb 10th, May 11th

Last edited:
Ive sent all my applications except 1. Waiting to hear back from the program

USC Im doing in February
Georgetown is doing April 13

Pitt is also doing march/april dates forthcoming

Adding UCLA and Georgetown, updating USC

John Hopkins: date still to be determined
USC: Wednesdays in Feb/March
Georgetown: April 13
Pitt: date still to be determined

Updating Hopkins.

John Hopkins: Feb 12, Mar 8, Mar 15, Mar 25

Updating MGH, confirming upenn sent out their invites

MGH: March 9th, 30th, April 20th

Adding Northwestern

Northwestern: March 13-14, April 10th-11th, 17-18th, 24-25th

UMich added

UMich: March 21st, April 25th

I feel I'm talking to myself, not sure if I have any anonymous followers. Uwashington sent out their invites Friday.

University of Washington: Fridays in March/April/May

Duke just called (woke me up from my post call slumber) to invite me to interview "some time in March". Will update when I get dates.

Mount Sinai and Duke

Mount Sinai: March 3rd
Duke: March 10th

Last edited:
Signed up for the match... Learned about PRISM... Search app store/Google play... Such a useful app, totally nerding out

Hmm, so I rocked my absite... Best score I've ever gotten... The question is, do I update my application with my new score

Emory

Duke: March 10th, 24th
Emory: April 19th

Cleveland clinic hasn't even acknowledged my emails... I have too many lined up already, but those in future generations that are interested may want to make a call or something or risk not getting any notification

Cleveland Clinic finally sent out their stuff... Too little too late imo

Duke: March 10th, 24th
Emory: April 19th
Cleveland Clinic: April 21st, 28th

One week til rank lists need to be certified... I've had mine certified for like 2 weeks now, but still look at it like every other day...

One week til rank lists need to be certified... I've had mine certified for like 2 weeks now, but still look at it like every other day...
And it's now finalized. Just gotta sit back and relax? for 2 weeks.

No way it can take the computer 2 weeks to compute the match. Those ****ers has known where I matched since like 9:00:01 last night.

Incoming GS intern here, leaning towards transplant. Now that match results have been released, anyone care to share any advice on the Transplant surgery application process...strong/weak programs, interview experiences, need for research during residency, etc. ?

After falling in love with the field this year, I would definitely encourage you to consider transplant. It's a unique field with amazing operations, interesting medicine, and opportunities to really have meaningful patient interaction.

Transplant is competitive at the top places. I saw applicants from great institutions with transplant research at my interviews. Traditionally, it's not competitive.

I don't think you need research but it helps, along with a demonstrated interest in the field.

The best programs from my perspective as an applicant this year and from the thoughts of my transplant mentors are

(I didn't interview at all of these places, and Wash U didn't hold interviews this past year.)

UCSF- Balanced L/K/P, great reputation- didn't get an interview there
Columbia- Balanced L/K/HB, great HB and living liver donor experience, good autonomy and dedicated faculty
Wisconsin- Balanced L/K/P. Faculty seemed incredibly devoted to the fellowship. Fellows perform the operation. Great tradition.
UCLA- Liver heavy L/K/HB. Unique for having the sickest patients (50% of recipients come from their Liver ICU), and the most management of the pre-transplant Liver patients. Includes an ICU/donor rotation where you run the Liver ICU (24 beds?). Great HB experience. Perennial concern re: kidney exposure, but numbers are very high (>300/year). Good autonomy.
Toronto- Balanced and very high living liver donor numbers. Only heard great things but going to Canada wasn't feasible for me.
Wash U- Didn't interview this year, but supposedly a great L/HB component. Only HPB certification I saw. (A lot of programs give HB certification)
Penn- L/K. Most academic-centric place I interviewed- all the faculty do reseearch.
Baylor (Dallas)
Northwestern- Traditionally among the best, but the stories I kept hearing were about how malignant the program was ... Chicago wasn't a good place for me or family, so I didn't learn more. Hopefully, someone can shed more light on this one.

A lot of my co-applicants were impressed by UAB.

I wonder what folks thought about Mt. Siani?

I'm sure there are others. All the programs have their unique features and selling points.

And it's now finalized. Just gotta sit back and relax? for 2 weeks.

No way it can take the computer 2 weeks to compute the match. Those ****ers has known where I matched since like 9:00:01 last night.
Good luck!

Though poor luck would give you your life back... :p Addicted to the abuse?

After falling in love with the field this year, I would definitely encourage you to consider transplant. It's a unique field with amazing operations, interesting medicine, and opportunities to really have meaningful patient interaction.

Transplant is competitive at the top places. I saw applicants from great institutions with transplant research at my interviews. Traditionally, it's not competitive.

I don't think you need research but it helps, along with a demonstrated interest in the field.

The best programs from my perspective as an applicant this year and from the thoughts of my transplant mentors are

(I didn't interview at all of these places, and Wash U didn't hold interviews this past year.)

UCSF- Balanced L/K/P, great reputation- didn't get an interview there
Columbia- Balanced L/K/HB, great HB and living liver donor experience, good autonomy and dedicated faculty
Wisconsin- Balanced L/K/P. Faculty seemed incredibly devoted to the fellowship. Fellows perform the operation. Great tradition.
UCLA- Liver heavy L/K/HB. Unique for having the sickest patients (50% of recipients come from their Liver ICU), and the most management of the pre-transplant Liver patients. Includes an ICU/donor rotation where you run the Liver ICU (24 beds?). Great HB experience. Perennial concern re: kidney exposure, but numbers are very high (>300/year). Good autonomy.
Toronto- Balanced and very high living liver donor numbers. Only heard great things but going to Canada wasn't feasible for me.
Wash U- Didn't interview this year, but supposedly a great L/HB component. Only HPB certification I saw. (A lot of programs give HB certification)
Penn- L/K. Most academic-centric place I interviewed- all the faculty do reseearch.
Baylor (Dallas)
Northwestern- Traditionally among the best, but the stories I kept hearing were about how malignant the program was ... Chicago wasn't a good place for me or family, so I didn't learn more. Hopefully, someone can shed more light on this one.

A lot of my co-applicants were impressed by UAB.

I wonder what folks thought about Mt. Siani?

I'm sure there are others. All the programs have their unique features and selling points.
I'll give a long answer later and my impressions, but a few things, and I'll admit my bias cause I matched my #1 choice USC. In the LA market, it seems the tide has very much turned from UCLA to USC. I obviously liked them more, but most everyone else I talked to did as well. They rival the level of sick patients (quoted 60% of transplanted patients were icu prior to transplant), did 130 livers last year compared to UCLA's 170, and they have a living donor program. I can get into more of why I fell in love with the program if anyone is interested. That being said, UCLA is still a powerhouse and probably a top 5 program, especially if you are liver centric person.

To address your comment regarding Toronto, USC is also HPB certified and do roughly 300 hpb cases, pretty well split between hepatic, biliary, and pancreatic. WashU, which didn't interview because they did an accelerated 4+2 pilot program for this year, also has HPB certification. Emory does as well, but I cancelled my interview, and Georgetown, Kansas, Lahey clinic are all listed as HPB but I didn't interview at those.

UCLA didn't fill either. They matched 1 of 3 spots (ucla is the only 3 person a year program. A few like Columbia, Mt. Sinai, Northwestern, Georgetown, Miami do 2 each year, few like UCSF, USC, Hopkins, Upenn, Wisconsin alternate between 2 then 1). That was the only surprise, but they only interviewed 10 people. But they are, imo, better than many programs out there that did fill

UCSF only interviewed like 3 people because they had an internal candidate. I also heard it's a rough program that the fellows are busy, but it's a powerhouse in every sense of the term.

Northwestern does have a horrible reputation of being very hard on their fellows, and they even admit that they are very demanding and require excellence from them and would not be serving them well by sugar coating it. I heard they are more service and less operative as well. They are also probably the most academic center in the country (I'd argue with you regarding UPenn, and I'd place Hopkins as right up there as well, if for no other reason than Dorry Segev). I wanted to like it much more than I ended up doing. I loved Chicago too.

The knock on UPenn as well is concerns about surgical autonomy/attendings double Scrubbing. But I was super impressed with their program as well.

Mt. Sinai was an intriguing place, and my impression was everyone had mixed feelings. Definitely have donor autonomy, going out on them solo. Great HB experience with Myron Schwartz, just got intestinal approval. But I couldn't gauge it that well. And I think they play second fiddle to Columbia.

I agree everyone loved UAB, but I couldn't do Alabama.

Another great program you didn't mention is Hopkins. A little bit of staff turnover, but great group of surgeons good volume, hb surgery and may be hpb approved now that they set up that the transplant fellows spend a month or two with the surg onc attendings doing panc cases.

I'll have more thoughts later

Last edited:
I'll give a long answer later and my impressions, but a few things, and I'll admit my bias cause I matched my #1 choice USC. In the LA market, it seems the tide has very much turned from UCLA to USC. I obviously liked them more, but most everyone else I talked to did as well. They rival the level of sick patients (quoted 60% of transplanted patients were icu prior to transplant), did 130 livers last year compared to UCLA's 170, and they have a living donor program. I can get into more of why I fell in love with the program if anyone is interested. That being said, UCLA is still a powerhouse and probably a top 5 program, especially if you are liver centric person.

To address your comment regarding Toronto, USC is also HPB certified and do roughly 300 hpb cases, pretty well split between hepatic, biliary, and pancreatic. WashU, which didn't interview because they did an accelerated 4+2 pilot program for this year, also has HPB certification. Emory does as well, but I cancelled my interview, and Georgetown, Kansas, Lahey clinic are all listed as HPB but I didn't interview at those.

UCLA didn't fill either. They matched 1 of 3 spots (ucla is the only 3 person a year program. A few like Columbia, Mt. Sinai, Northwestern, Georgetown, Miami do 2 each year, few like UCSF, USC, Hopkins, Upenn, Wisconsin alternate between 2 then 1). That was the only surprise, but they only interviewed 10 people. But they are, imo, better than many programs out there that did fill

UCSF only interviewed like 3 people because they had an internal candidate. I also heard it's a rough program that the fellows are busy, but it's a powerhouse in every sense of the term.

Northwestern does have a horrible reputation of being very hard on their fellows, and they even admit that they are very demanding and require excellence from them and would not be serving them well by sugar coating it. I heard they are more service and less operative as well. They are also probably the most academic center in the country (I'd argue with you regarding UPenn, and I'd place Hopkins as right up there as well, if for no other reason than Dorry Segev). I wanted to like it much more than I ended up doing. I loved Chicago too.

The knock on UPenn as well is concerns about surgical autonomy/attendings double Scrubbing. But I was super impressed with their program as well.

Mt. Sinai was an intriguing place, and my impression was everyone had mixed feelings. Definitely have donor autonomy, going out on them solo. Great HB experience with Myron Schwartz, just got intestinal approval. But I couldn't gauge it that well. And I think they play second fiddle to Columbia.

I agree everyone loved UAB, but I couldn't do Alabama.

Another great program you didn't mention is Hopkins. A little bit of staff turnover, but great group of surgeons good volume, hb surgery and may be hpb approved now that they set up that the transplant fellows spend a month or two with the surg onc attendings doing panc cases.

I'll have more thoughts later
I forgot Michigan. Also a great program. Really treat the fellows good, great group of surgeons, decent volume, decent research. Henry Ford was also a sleeper program.

Incoming GS intern here, leaning towards transplant. Now that match results have been released, anyone care to share any advice on the Transplant surgery application process...strong/weak programs, interview experiences, need for research during residency, etc. ?
I did 2 years of research during residency, 4 first author pubs, ~10 presentations, got an MPH... Definitely worthwhile experience and glad I did it, but in no way needed to match and match well.

I think my letters and my mentor was more important than anything else on my pathway. They put a lot of weight in him saying I was going to be a good transplant surgeon. Sure, they liked my research, my absite scores, etc. But since my new PD to be was cofellows with my mentor, him calling her probably sealed the deal. But I did 2 years of research with him, and he knows my passion, abilities, my intellect, etc.

So, if you have transplant at your program, get to know the surgeons. Work with them, try to do some research (even chart review or lit review), get an abstract at the conferences (my oral presentation at the big transplant conference with the asts president of moderator, I had a few people on the trail say, oh yeah, I remember seeing that, etc...). If you aren't at a transplant center, research outside may help to really demonstrate your interest

Great insight everyone. Thanks so much. Any insight on the Boston programs (MGH)?

I think that's an overstatement re: UCLA/USC. None of my mentors, including one sitting on the fellowship council, included it in their list of programs. But clearly jojo heard good things from his mentors and really liked the place. I'm sure he'll get great training. True, UCLA didn't fill this year. Perhaps both are great programs... Regardless, all going on this forum should talk w their transplant faculty as they consider applying, instead of relying on random folks online, solely. (And I'm definitely not interested in arguing about it- so, I'll leave it at that.)

Re: MGH- I personally didn't hear it was a great program, despite the Harvard affiliation, but ask around and see what you hear.

One thing to keep in mind- some great transplant centers are not great transplant fellowships (e.g. Mayo).