Transitioning OUT of medicine (veterinary).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvm02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of careers where a DVM degree is valued? I've found several biotech/pharma positions, either doing research or administration/management, where an MD degree is an asset...but not a DVM degree.

As for myself, I've finished veterinary school and spent some time travelling and recuperating from spending so much time in school. I have not worked in private/public practice and have absolutely zero desire to do so. I would like to find a job/career where my DVM degree is valued...as my other option is to return to school, maybe for an MBA. At least that would give me skills that are more transferrable.

Members don't see this ad.

My wife is about to start her 3rd year in vet school. She is doing a combined DVM/MPH program in order to broaden the opportunities when she graduates. She is considering working for the USDA or maybe FDA. You could also work for one of the pet food companies (Purina, Iams, etc.)

One of the most famous Drosophila researchers around, Hugo Bellen (@ Baylor) started life as a DVM. I think the research angle is a good place to start......@ an academic institution.

You might take a look at career opportunities through Novartis. I know they produce a lot of veterinary medicines, so they might be more open to a DVM!

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is the zoo. Or teaching...with a DVM, surely you could teach some biology/anatomy classes or something.

Good luck to you! It sucks to finish school and realize you don't know what to do!

Willow