Transitional Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nice_vip

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good transitional year programs?

Members don't see this ad.

nice_vip said:
Does anyone know of any good transitional year programs?

It's probably not a good idea to post this thread in 6 different forums.

Agreed. Not only not a good idea, but a violation of the SDN TOS agreement. Since the post seems most appropriate here, I'll leave it open here and close the others (as I find them).

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, the ones that give you the most elective time, have the best ancillary services, and call free months are the best.

Some good ones in the northeast:

Christiana care
Alber Einstein, philadelphia
Atlantic health system in NJ

Add for Pennsylvania
York Hospital transitional year (one of the highest paying in PA)
Lehigh Hospital prelim
Abington Prelim

For NY
St. Vincents hospital

axm397 said:
Add for Pennsylvania
York Hospital transitional year (one of the highest paying in PA)
Lehigh Hospital prelim
Abington Prelim

For NY
St. Vincents hospital

I'll add a second vote for the York Hospital Transitional Program. I think it's now THE highest paying in PA, as we just got a hefty raise this summer (we make $10+k more than some of the transitional programs at which I interviewed in California). If you are planning on doing a residency in the Baltimore, DC, or Philly areas, or if you are finishing up at a nearby med. school or you just want to chill in the PA countryside, you'd be a selling yourself short not to interview here.

Five months of electives (very flexible, even an away elective can be arranged), 2 months floors & peds, 1 month family, 1 month ED, 1 ICU. The prog. directors in the Dept. of Medicine are stellar educators and very dedicated to residents, the administration is excellent, the upper levels go out of their way to be kind and helpful. The plentiful lectures vary on a scale from useful to most excellent and are always worthwhile , even if just to have lunch and socialize with the other residents. The morning report is invariably impressive (esp. w/ Dr. Francois or Dr. Blotzer (now how did they memorize Harrison's and the last 20 years of NEJM?)) The cafeteria food is free anytime, the educational stipend for books, PDAs, etc. would make Donald Trump envious, and the cost of living compared to nearby cities is minimal. I happened to interview here on whim and was very impressed, and continue to be even more so. So far I've done a floor month (phew!) , an ICU month (wow!), and a rads month (aahh!).

In fact, if I had only matched here for a trans/prelim. year and didn't match in my categorical residency, I would be more than happy to continue here in internal medicine if offered a categorical spot. (Realize that this is coming from a med. student that could barely stand internal medicine during my third and fourth year rotations!) Also, if you interview for a transitional residency, you'll also be ranked on their prelim. list so your chances to match here are increased.

As a final note, just to give you a feel for the place, I recently had a death in the family and had to take 3 days off without notice to travel to attend the funeral. Not only was the Department accommodating, but when I returned there was a basket of flowers waiting for me at my apartment from the Dept. of Medicine.

In short, this is the type of well run hospital that I'd look forward to working in a few years as an attending.

Click the box on ERAS and come for an interview; I doubt that you'll be disappointed. Also, they are building a huge new wing on the hospital, which I think will be opening sometime next year.

An ideal transitional or prelim year allows you to become proficient in general medical care and gives you elective time to tailor your education towards your future career. Goals: Become efficient with gathering H+P info, writing orders, admitting, and discharge dictations. You can really do this anywhere but ideally a place with moderate turnover has some advantages. A year of brutal 80+ hour work weeks every month can make one efficient but may cause early burnout, cynical attitude, and no time to read. You may learn how to function in a hospital but likely will not be as well-versed overall. A very slow-moving year will not provide the incentive to develop efficiency. The more electives, the better, as you can push yourself or focus on an area of interest or even slack off and do some reading in your future field.

Good Transitional years include:
Christiana Care (also prelim med)
Lehigh Valley Medical Center
Carilion-Roanoke, VA
Mercy Pittsburgh
(also prelim med)

Purulent DC said:
I'll add a second vote for the York Hospital Transitional Program. I think it's now THE highest paying in PA, as we just got a hefty raise this summer (we make $10+k more than some of the transitional programs at which I interviewed in California). If you are planning on doing a residency in the Baltimore, DC, or Philly areas, or if you are finishing up at a nearby med. school or you just want to chill in the PA countryside, you'd be a selling yourself short not to interview here.

Five months of electives (very flexible, even an away elective can be arranged), 2 months floors & peds, 1 month family, 1 month ED, 1 ICU. The prog. directors in the Dept. of Medicine are stellar educators and very dedicated to residents, the administration is excellent, the upper levels go out of their way to be kind and helpful. The plentiful lectures vary on a scale from useful to most excellent and are always worthwhile , even if just to have lunch and socialize with the other residents. The morning report is invariably impressive (esp. w/ Dr. Francois or Dr. Blotzer (now how did they memorize Harrison's and the last 20 years of NEJM?)) The cafeteria food is free anytime, the educational stipend for books, PDAs, etc. would make Donald Trump envious, and the cost of living compared to nearby cities is minimal. I happened to interview here on whim and was very impressed, and continue to be even more so. So far I've done a floor month (phew!) , an ICU month (wow!), and a rads month (aahh!).

In fact, if I had only matched here for a trans/prelim. year and didn't match in my categorical residency, I would be more than happy to continue here in internal medicine if offered a categorical spot. (Realize that this is coming from a med. student that could barely stand internal medicine during my third and fourth year rotations!) Also, if you interview for a transitional residency, you'll also be ranked on their prelim. list so your chances to match here are increased.

As a final note, just to give you a feel for the place, I recently had a death in the family and had to take 3 days off without notice to travel to attend the funeral. Not only was the Department accommodating, but when I returned there was a basket of flowers waiting for me at my apartment from the Dept. of Medicine.

In short, this is the type of well run hospital that I'd look forward to working in a few years as an attending.

Click the box on ERAS and come for an interview; I doubt that you'll be disappointed. Also, they are building a huge new wing on the hospital, which I think will be opening sometime next year.

legacy emanuel in portland, ore.

not the cushiest place, but a lot of variety and good teaaching. transitionals arre folded into the medicine program pretty well, so you never feel like an outsider. excellent electives in cardiology, GI, ICU and onc. no OB, no peds. the surgery rotation is excellent. trauma is tough, but good. great preparation for anesthesia as the best teaching is in the icu. plus, portland is sweet and the cheapest city on the west coast.

Do you go back through the match when you are done with a transitional year, i.e., are you thrown back in with all the 4th years, or is there another application process?

Specifically, I am considering an osteopathic internship year then transferring to the allo program back in my hometown.

Any disadvantages to this?

have heard bad things about Mercy in Pittsburgh (above)
St. Vincent's in NY is great

sophiejane said:
Do you go back through the match when you are done with a transitional year, i.e., are you thrown back in with all the 4th years, or is there another application process?

Specifically, I am considering an osteopathic internship year then transferring to the allo program back in my hometown.

Any disadvantages to this?

Depends on your field. If you are doing an advanced specialty that requires a seperate pgy1 year (anesth, pmr,surgical subspecialties) you can go thru both matches your 4th year. match aoa pgy1 and then acgme 2-4. If you are doing fp,medicine, peds etc then as it stands now yes you would have to go thru the match again after your pgy1 year. Traditional rotating internships are useless and should be avoided especially if you are going to an aacgme program later.