Transitional/Prelim Year vs. Research fellowship for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Opout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an IMG currently in my 4th year (5 year program) of medical school in Pakistan. I've yet to take any of my Steps, but I hope to get it done in the next year or so. My question was, which would be more beneficial for me in pursuing a residency in ophthalmology, a transitional/prelim year completed before applying to an ophtho residency or a year spent doing research before my intern year? I'm leaning towards research because it's a great chance to network while getting published, and I know there are fellowships that let you do some clinical stuff too. But then again, completing my intern year while doing research on the side is also appealing. It may not get me the same number of publications, but I'll be working in the US system and improving my clinical acumen while also doing a bit of networking.

The way I see it, the research route is just an extra year which I really don't mind much. I'm just curious which route you guys think will better my chances in the eyes of program directors. I know getting a spot is a long shot; I just want to make sure I give every effort in achieving my goal. Any input, positive or otherwise, is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First focus on the USMLE Steps (Step 1 especially) as this will determine your competitiveness and which residencies are attainable. Ophtho is very competitive, for American Grads and even more so for IMG. I am an IMG and did a Prelim year in IM.

First focus on the USMLE Steps (Step 1 especially) as this will determine your competitiveness and which residencies are attainable. Ophtho is very competitive, for American Grads and even more so for IMG. I am an IMG and did a Prelim year in IM.
Thanks for your post DrRama. Yes, I fully understand the importance of Step 1, along with USCE/LORs, research, time since graduation, etc. But I'm just asking about those 2 particular routes, and which one is more likely to result in a successful Match.
Also, congrats on matching! Where did you do your ophtho training, if you don't mind my asking? You can PM me if you'd rather not disclose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research year, or two, or three. What ever it takes, in addition to the things you mention above. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Research year, or two, or three. What ever it takes, in addition to the things you mention above. Best of luck.
I figured the research route would be better as you can spend multiple years doing it. I appreciate it 100D, thanks so much.

I figured the research route would be better as you can spend multiple years doing it. I appreciate it 100D, thanks so much.