Transferring to PGY2 Psych from IM categ chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdocmember

Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently a PGY1 IM resident but want to do Psych. I tried matching last cycle but got into IM and not Psych.. Wondering if anyone has advice about what to do and my chances if I want to go into a PGY2 Psych advanced position. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a number of threads on this and other forums about switching specialties and switching to psychiatry. Research and read through them, and if you have specific questions remaining then update your post with them.

I was in your position so I'll leave a few resources to find PGY2 spots:
APA clearinghouse for open positions, note that it tends not to update that a position has been filled: Psychiatry Residency Training Program Vacancies
List of programs that state on their site they take PGY2 applications as of 2019: List of Programs With PGY2 Positions
FindAResident requires a subscription but is a good resource and how I found my spot: FindAResident
InfoResidency requires a subscription but seemed to be the most comprehensive: https://www.inforesidency.com/

Also, a good question to ask yourself is "If psychiatry didn't exist, would I be happy in IM?"

Reactions: 1 user