Transfer to Cairo, Egypt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Asalamu Alaykum ya Basha !!!!

What a nice suprise !!! You guys , this is my brother I told you about who referred me to SDN ! Please put your hands together for this gentleman who just got accepted into Pacific's postgraduate program !!! YAAAAY ! :thumbup:

Really proud of you , did it all on your own , like a MAN ! What a great example of a muslim/arab/egyptian/american fil ghurba ! Rabina yahfazak yabni !

Mabruuuuk bigad & good luck with your studies isA .........

ps ; Mama bitsallim 3leek ! :laugh:

older sisters ; a great source of encouragement & a major source of embarrassment ; comes with the package !

Members don't see this ad.

yesmeena said:
Asalamu Alaykum ya Basha !!!!

What a nice suprise !!! You guys , this is my brother I told you about who referred me to SDN ! Please put your hands together for this gentleman who just got accepted into Pacific's postgraduate program !!! YAAAAY ! :thumbup:

Really proud of you , did it all on your own , like a MAN ! What a great example of a muslim/arab/egyptian/american fil ghurba ! Rabina yahfazak yabni !

Mabruuuuk bigad & good luck with your studies isA .........

ps ; Mama bitsallim 3leek ! :laugh:
Hey SimSima (Yasmeena is my sister ya gama3a).
Yabintee leih kiddah bass il fadayi7 dee ... lol :laugh: ... just kidding tab3an.
Il nass dilwa2tee zamanhom bey2ooloo inn i7na mosh binit2abil gheir 3ala SDN !! :)
Thank you giddan giddan for the very sincere words of encouragement, and endless da3awat ! Bigad, I would have never made it without your help il 7amdulilah. Honestly !
Anyways, I came acorss this thread, and thought that I had to be part of it, and try and help DUSTY out with his decision. I hope it was of any help to him.
By the way ya Yasmeena, I loved your posting on the other thread (I think it was Ishta 3al 3arab). It had some really nice links, specially the sultan.org one.
Ok ya Yasmeena ... salam mo2akat !
I'll see everyone else around.
Salam ya gam3a.

Alf mabrook!
I got to know yasmeena from this thread and got to know NILEBDS from the internation dentist forum. And i thought you both wrote interesting and usefull threads. I especially liked the website links that you introduced us to.
Thank you both!

Members don't see this ad :)
futurdentist said:
Alf mabrook!
I got to know yasmeena from this thread and got to know NILEBDS from the internation dentist forum. And i thought you both wrote interesting and usefull threads. I especially liked the website links that you introduced us to.
Thank you both!
Hey Future ... are you Egyptian/Arabic ?
I never knew ...
I've seen some of your postings too.
What have you been upto lately ?

Hey Elf Mabrouuuuuuuuk NileBDS!!!!!! Ma sha allah! I'm Yasmeena's friend, and we're all really proud of you!!!!!!!! Wow, what an achievement! Faith in Allah and hard work pays off. You've made it! And may this be for you a "fathan mubeenan" in sha allah!

hzma said:
Hey Elf Mabrouuuuuuuuk NileBDS!!!!!! Ma sha allah! I'm Yasmeena's friend, and we're all really proud of you!!!!!!!! Wow, what an achievement! Faith in Allah and hard work pays off. You've made it! And may this be for you a "fathan mubeenan" in sha allah!
Salam HZMA !
Yeah, I have received a couple of e-mails from you before (aren't you in the states too?) ... thank you very very much for the sincere wishes. Rabbina yifta7 3aleena gamee3an isA.
I wish you the best of success and prosperity in your career too.
Il Salmo 3aleekom :)

Wow, MashaAllah. Congrats!!!!!!! :) So how does it feel?

NileBDS said:
Hey Future ... are you Egyptian/Arabic ?
I never knew ...
I've seen some of your postings too.
What have you been upto lately ?
Hi,
e4na welad kar bass i graduated from cairo university 98.
I will be taking the bench exam in exactly 2 weeks enshaala. It's my first time. Rabena yostor!!!

futurdentist said:
Hi,
e4na welad kar bass i graduated from cairo university 98.
I will be taking the bench exam in exactly 2 weeks enshaala. It's my first time. Rabena yostor!!!
Hey future.
Sounds good.
If you are a '98er, do you know Mohammed El Mofty, Shahwan and those guys ? I think they were '97. I am good friends with Mofty. He was appointed to Perio Teacher Assistant (modarris mosa3id) 3andina fee 3ein Shams, although he might be a Teacher by now. He is here in the states now finishing up some of his PhD research.
Anyways, GOOD LUCK !
I hope you do great. I know a guy (dof3itee) who just passed the bench, although I must say (and by no means do I intend to discourage you) he passed on his 4th attepmt.
If you need any assistance, please let me know, and i'll try to hook you guys up.
Biltawfee2 ya zameel ... ana dof3it 2001 by the way.

~Rana said:
Wow, MashaAllah. Congrats!!!!!!! :) So how does it feel?
Thanks Rana.
It feels like a million dollars. Bigad. I have been waiting for this acceptance letter since the day I started dental school in Egypt.
Good luck to you too ( are you Dalias sister? If not, ignore what I just said :) )

NileBDS said:
Hey future.
Sounds good.
If you are a '98er, do you know Mohammed El Mofty, Shahwan and those guys ? I think they were '97. I am good friends with Mofty. He was appointed to Perio Teacher Assistant (modarris mosa3id) 3andina fee 3ein Shams, although he might be a Teacher by now. He is here in the states now finishing up some of his PhD research.
Anyways, GOOD LUCK !
I hope you do great. I know a guy (dof3itee) who just passed the bench, although I must say (and by no means do I intend to discourage you) he passed on his 4th attepmt.
If you need any assistance, please let me know, and i'll try to hook you guys up.
Biltawfee2 ya zameel ... ana dof3it 2001 by the way.
Hi,
Yes I know Mofty ,but I don't know shahwan or maybe I know him (shaklan ) bass. I was among the first dof3et emteyaz that they take to work in ein shams university. I think I started my emtiaz there Feb 99 and stayed for about 5 months. WOW, It feels like a liftime ago! :rolleyes:
About the bench exam , I don't have high expectations anyways . I don't know anybody who passed it the first time .And it's even more difficult now since they made the new changes.

NileBDS said:
Thanks Rana.
It feels like a million dollars. Bigad. I have been waiting for this acceptance letter since the day I started dental school in Egypt.
Good luck to you too ( are you Dalias sister? If not, ignore what I just said :) )

Nope, I know Dalia but I'm not her sister. :)

hi guys, i am graduated from alexandria uni 2003 and i need help regarding ndb part one please help me! how to apply, what to do and these stuffs u know

Members don't see this ad :)
Asalamu Alaykum ,

Ma3lish , I forgot to post a follow-up ; Bridges Foundation replied the next day saying if people outside Cairo could form a small group interested in taking the course , they would happily travel to their destination to train them.

For those outside of Egypt altogether , they have branches over the world , you can check out their website if you need further information.

(By the way , the link I had posted earlier http://www.jimas.org/event.htm has 5 downloadable sessions & the presentation they used which is also downloadable .)

want to do something positive ? http://www.euromedalex.org/En/dialogue21.htm

yesmeena said:
W 3laykum Assalam ,

Believe it or not , I logged in today makhsus to delete my last post because since then the website's links haven't been working !! Talk about suffering from a "conspiracey theory" complex !! :rolleyes:

I was considering maybe we should take this elsewhere , out of sensitivity to others , but then thought , it's all about educating & relaying a message , cuz after all " IGNORANCE IS THE ENEMY " !!! It's what's causing all the phobia about Islam & Muslims & nurturing the stereotyping & misconceptions .

Tolerance , acceptance , understanding , humanity , co-existence ; things we all need to work on & spread around . No one can be offended by that , right ?! I was pleased to learn our moderator leorl , studied at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland & is showing tolerance like ALL religions encourage !

Regarding your point , there's a great website that might help you ; http://www.bridges-foundation.org/
I took level 1 of the IITP course & benefited immensely alhamdullilah . I just wrote to them inquiring if they will be giving these workshops outside of Cairo & if they'd mind if I share their material ( 3 Adobe PDF files).

I thought these links may be interesting too ;
http://video.google.com/videoplaydocid=8596690458731858361&q=30+muslims+days
http://taqwatv.blip.tv/file/18075

Hope you had a productive internship , good luck with your quest !

NileBDS said:
Salam Dusty ... how are you ?
I will weigh in with my experience on this touchy issue and I just hope it helps ...
Ok ya seedy, first things first. I personally think that if you are in the healthcare field in general (medicine ba2a wala dentistry) solely for the money, than I guess you are missing the whole point of medicine. Don't get me wrong, there is TONS of money in the healthcare industry, specially here in the states, but having such a mind set will not get you much of it. You have to love what you do ... mosh kalam aflam walahy ... it is very true. If you love making money, than go into business ... in all honesty ... get an MBA or something.
Anyways, moving on now. I graduated Ain Shams University School of Dentistry, and I can tell you first hand that it is easier than medicine. My older sister and younger brother both went through Ain Shams medical school, so I know. The challenge with dentistry is the clinical work. There is no way to say this without sounding biased to my own career, but dentistry does involve more clinical work, specially in school. Your first and second years (after i3dady) are constantly infiltrated with hands on clinical work and exams. On your 3rd year, you are in the clinics, and you are getting work done ! You have to manage your own patients, buy your supplies, follow up with the dental lab for your cases, etc ... Fourth year and imtiyaz are no different, you just get a little bit more efficient. And believe me, if you don't like dentistry BEFORE you get into it, you will not like it anymore later on. You might just end up in an acedemic position (oral pathology or histology ... il 7agat il gameela dee). Don't forget that the highest suicide rates among professionals belongs to non other than dentists (surprise), and it's for good reasons.
You must also note that once you get into dentistry, there is no way out. It is the same specialty over and over again. On the other hand, medicine offers you plenty of options upon graduation, in pursuing your lifetime career. I'm not trying to compare medicine to dentistry, I am sure you know what you like, but I'm just saying that some of the people switching might not know what they are getting into. In my case, I knew right from start that out of all of the medical specialities, the only one I was interested in was dentistry. And now I can say that I made a safe call. I have seen very very smart people wasted in dentistry, and wanting to switch to medicine. There is also a classmate of mine who decided to switch to pharmacy after struggling for a couple of years aftre graduating dental school !
Now, just for the purpose of the discussion, let's explore the yearly earnings of both careers. I can tell you right now just off the bat that medical doctors make significantly more money here in the US. I think the starting salary for a general dentist is in the neighborhood of the $100K, while physicians can start at $140K easy. Ofcourse you will hear stories of general dentists pulling in $200k+/year, but don't judge the book by it's cover. There is more to it.
Anyways, check these links out, and let me know what you think ...
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos074.htm#earnings
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos072.htm#earnings
I should also note that MBA's start at the same annual salaries as general dentists ... with just a 2-3 year (maybe even online) degree ... bala mo3adla bala bita3 ba2a ... :laugh:
If you like medicine, go to medical school.
If you like money, get an MBA or something.
If you like bad breath and slober, get into dentistry.

thxx NileBDS 3al post el lazeeez da
we mabrooooooook ya man
can u plzz share ur story with us including all the little details?! i just love to know more & more about u guys!
i think we shud start a thread with all the success stories of u guys for all the others to look up to you!
thxxx man we mabroooook...

DustyDog said:
thxx NileBDS 3al post el lazeeez da
we mabrooooooook ya man
can u plzz share ur story with us including all the little details?! i just love to know more & more about u guys!
i think we shud start a thread with all the success stories of u guys for all the others to look up to you!
thxxx man we mabroooook...
Hey Dusty ... no problem ya za3eem. That's what we're here for.
Anyways, what exactly would you like to hear about ? I mean this a story 3 years in the making ... inta fadee shewaya ? :D
Private message me 3ashan man sadda3sh il naas ille hinnah ma3ana, and let me know what details you would like to learn about ...
Ok ya Dusty, see you around.
Salam ;)

Hello everyone,
m Nour Eddine, a new member to this form, m a medical student in MUST university medical school in ma 3rd year.i have some questions for all of ya out there,u know i've been wonderin bout da level of ma university if anyone have any information bout that concernin medical education of course,i've also heard that 6 october medical college has recently ranked 3rd best medical school in egypt,is that true? n another question for dr mohamed ali, how did u find preparin to usmle step 1? is it hard? i mean since ur studyin in a private uni,n wot advice do u have for me as m plannin to take it soon.
findally i'd like to thank u all :)
Regards,
Nour Eddine

drmohamedali said:
Dears,
Firstly, I am a recent member and this subject is the first that I read so I have an interposition.
Medicine is staying alive by keeping in a touch with tomorrow so, every thing becomes easy for achieving this goal.so Rana has the right to be extremely anxious beside the bureauracy in Egypt increses troubles and a little despondence, you have Rana.
When I was in the third secondary school , I lost ( temporarily ) my goal to join a medical school for less than 4 marks due to waves of pschyic stress. and the only alternative way in Egypt to be a doctor is joining a private uni. Firstly I refuse this idea but I decide entering it and become in the top to be at least the lowerest one among public uni graduates.
After four years as I am now a medical student in the fourth year in Misr Uni for Science and Technology ( MUST ) I find that the subject is different completely.
I have the chance to study from textbooks , learn by credit hours, doctors deal us kindly to prove ourselves and now I am nearly finish studying for USMLE step 1.
So I think if you have a goal , nothing is better than achieving it. and I alsp defend about privte uni.
Rana, if you want to tell the courses in first year which they similar to that in USA, I will do it.

Sorry, I keep you waiting a long time but I am sorry and I hope that5 you accept me as a newly friend in your wonderful community.

M. Ali

Dr. Nour Eddine said:
Hello everyone,
m Nour Eddine, a new member to this form, m a medical student in MUST university medical school in ma 3rd year.i have some questions for all of ya out there,u know i've been wonderin bout da level of ma university if anyone have any information bout that concernin medical education of course,i've also heard that 6 october medical college has recently ranked 3rd best medical school in egypt,is that true? n another question for dr mohamed ali, how did u find preparin to usmle step 1? is it hard? i mean since ur studyin in a private uni,n wot advice do u have for me as m plannin to take it soon.
findally i'd like to thank u all :)
Regards,
Nour Eddine

Hey Dr. Nour, welcome to the forum! I know ppl who are planning on Med school but might not get accepted in Cairo/ Ain Shams. So is MUST a good alternative? What about 6th October?
thanks!

Asalamu Alaykum ,

Great website , thought you might want to have a look ;

www.zero-net.net

If it's not totally functioning yet , try in a couple of days , they're adding the final touches isA .

salaam to all,
im new to this forum and hoping someone could fill in my knowledge gap. currently im a RN (registered nurse) male and am interested in attending med school in egypt. im an african american muslim and due to many factors, med school here is not feasible for me. quick and short, does anyone have suggestions, comments, information or general advice about the different schools particularly in cairo(cairo U, Ain Shams) or the 2 privates (Must and 6 october). specific questions i have are tuition costs, requirements to enter, general feel for the system, and impotantly which school(s) have the most graduates doing
residency here in the states

thanks in advance for your replies:

your brother in humanity,

btw, i have visited the country and speak a little arabiyya(learning more) if this helps in your respones

Knight_MD said:
there's ur link buddy:

http://www.valuemd.com/asian-medical-schools/83863-why-hasnt-anybody-looked-egypt-3.html

Read the long post I wrote in the middle.

Best of luck man ;)

Dear Knight MD,

I was just reading thru your post that u referred brother Abu Junayd to. I donno but I felt u were exaggerating about the exams being the most difficult anywhere on the planet and the quality of graduates being one of the best. E7na dafneeno sawa ya m3allem ;)

I will post a longer reply but I'm busy right now. No hard feelings, huh??

Salam

thanks for the link and advice Knight_MD. Comments, advice, "2-cents" are welcome from all

Salaam

Fascia Lata said:
Dear Knight MD,

I was just reading thru your post that u referred brother Abu Junayd to. I donno but I felt u were exaggerating about the exams being the most difficult anywhere on the planet and the quality of graduates being one of the best. E7na dafneeno sawa ya m3allem ;)

I will post a longer reply but I'm busy right now. No hard feelings, huh??

Salam

Well Fascia Lata :) I was talking about Ain Shams tab3an, that's for a starter. And this came out only by comparing our cirriculum with the other medical school cirriculae. I'm half Canadian, so I easily know many med students in Toronto Uni and the differences are staggering. We study too deep and too detailed into the subject given not all will choose this speciality.

If u will, u can call our undergraduate studies, their post graduate studies.

And I made similar comparisons with Harvard Uni we keda. No other college on Earth studies Internal Medicine alone in a period of 12 months.... And Surgery and Gyna alone, in an 11-month long year?

Our MCQs come straight out of Davidson MCQs (we witnessed them 1st hand last year), whereas Davidson MCQs is a material for many MRCP exams abroad.

The worst thing is, with a single phone call, you can get fullmarks in all these mind twisting exams all year long, regardless ur studying. This 'recommendation' system is what throws the entire University credibility down the drain, in international eyes.

Check out other prestigious med school cirriculae's in the US/Canada, and u'll know what I mean :)

EDIT: Plus, in Egypt, med school is almost free. So the only deciding factor for joining med school is ur results in high school. The result is that all med school students range between 97% and 99% students. So the exams have to be suitably made difficult for this group of people. On the other hand, in the US, finance and other factors other than ur results play a big role.

EDIT 2: Having another read, I was exaggerating! We're far from the most powerful undergrads, but not so far though. Lotsa info we study is obsolete, a lot is useless, and many questions we're asked are meaningless.
There is a huge gap between clinical knowledge and studying el-nazary. We do have our good share of Cons I suppose.

Take care

Hello Rana and all of u.
I cant believe u r coming back to egypt.
My dads biggest mistake in life is coming back to egypt.
If u r not a "kosa person" u will become as poor as ever, and despised in the country.
My family and i r trying to get out of here ASAP and return to the US
I was talking to a taxi driver about the robbery in the country. I told him the plumber comes and robs me so does the carpenter so does tradesman...imagine what he told me???!!....."yabta3'oona min fadl-illah" meaning they want Gods Rizk and blessings....i told him by stealing???...he didnt answer.

~Rana said:
Ahhh Egypt, u gotta love it but sometimes...times like right now it drives me absolutely crazy! I totally agree with u about the financial relationship between the doctor and the patient, it's just so sad. On one side of the spectrum I've seen the Kasr El Aini Cancer Ward and then on the other side I've also seen El Salam Hospital, Cleopatra, and Dar El Fouad. :eek: But u know what? The truth is that the prob is just like the traffic problems, bribes, etc. etc., it's gonna take years and a heck of a lot of patient ppl to solve it all. I think u should travel to work abroad to achieve ur own financial goals (which isn't at all selfish, u deserve it) and help out ppl in Egypt (in whatever way) when ur back on vacation or when u come back for good.

And no ur not bothering us with ne of this! Trust me I can imagine how frustrating and depressing it is, and I'm only just starting! That’s why Kosa is the perfect description for all of this. I just don't think u should step down after u've come so far, especially when ur sure that u love what u do. Good luck and congrats on finishing!

Asalamu Alaykum All ,

I would like to draw everyone's attention that "generalizatons" are the biggest mistake anyone could ever make !!!

Even if it's about which Medical school has a stronger reputation or that someone just decided that their own country is not worth living in .....

To the former ; each has it's strengths & weaknesses ! To the latter ; the grass always seems greener on the other side !

Let's all agree on the positives & focus our energy on something more productive .

Peace y'all ! :thumbup:

PS ; Ironically , when finally crossing over , this will be their "new" reactions ;

Eih dah ? Masry ?! Izayyak ya za3eem w izzay Masr w ahlaha ? Qahira walla 3in Shams , MISH MUHIM ! Egyptian Doctors RULE !! :cool:

Allah yirham ayam Masr , zalamtaha . Fakkir lamma rikibna taxi w iktashaft inni niseet elmahfaza fil beit ? Elsawa2 elgada3 allina khalle 3anak khallis , ihna willad balad barduh !! :)

Hello Rana and all of u.
I cant believe u r coming back to egypt.
My dads biggest mistake in life is coming back to egypt.
If u r not a "kosa person" u will become as poor as ever, and despised in the country.
My family and i r trying to get out of here ASAP and return to the US
I was talking to a taxi driver about the robbery in the country. I told him the plumber comes and robs me so does the carpenter so does tradesman...imagine what he told me???!!....."yabta3'oona min fadl-illah" meaning they want Gods Rizk and blessings....i told him by stealing???...he didnt answer.

My dad also made the decision to go back to masr, many yrs ago. But i am thankful, and alh i have no regrets. I met the most beautiful of ppl and friends, and the spirit of life in Egypt, no matter how bad it is these days economically, is still special and unique. Living abroad isn't perfect either, and has a lot of emotional challenges and insecurities. In fact, Arabamericans esp nowadays have a very high level of anxiety and depression.

I would be thankful of where you are today and enjoy it while it lasts. Eventually you will leave, and then Egypt will only be a memory.

Same story here :) Dad was a Professor in Canada and Kuwait, we came back to Egypt and... same story. My Dad is FAR from a "koosa" (wasta/7adaa2a/faqaaqa) person. He's more of a research/publications/results man.... And this country is definetly NOT the place for a non-koosa person like him.... So same story, same regrets, same results.

However, I myself don't regret the fact I came back AT ALL. I loved being rasied here. And God knows how I could have turned out elsewhere. The friends, school, university... I cherish each and every day of the whole package. I would like my children to be raised here too, someday. It's just like Fascia Lata said before, the post-graduate life that is terrible. If only there were a way for a non-koosa scientific person to fit in... and feel appreciated.

Sounds like yr talking about my family's story! Only we were in Saudi, then Egypt. My Dad also had such a difficult time with the Egyptian system when we moved there, and so decided to come back to the US. I'm thankful we had the option i'm sure, but sometimes i do wish things could have ended up differently- alh. I think I too would want to go back to the middle east someday though, maybe sometime after residency, i don't know... But, I'm glad i'm not alone in all this!!!
:thumbup:

Same story here :) Dad was a Professor in Canada and Kuwait, we came back to Egypt and... same story. My Dad is FAR from a "koosa" (wasta/7adaa2a/faqaaqa) person. He's more of a research/publications/results man.... And this country is definetly NOT the place for a non-koosa person like him.... So same story, same regrets, same results.

However, I myself don't regret the fact I came back AT ALL. I loved being rasied here. And God knows how I could have turned out elsewhere. The friends, school, university... I cherish each and every day of the whole package. I would like my children to be raised here too, someday. It's just like Fascia Lata said before, the post-graduate life that is terrible. If only there were a way for a non-koosa scientific person to fit in... and feel appreciated.

Wow I've missed a lot...but inshAllah I promise as soon as a get some time I'll catch up and reply to everything. But keep the posts coming. I'm in Egypt alhamdulilah but I'm seriously busy...dude you would never believe what can happen in a few months...more later. Ramadan Kareem.
~Rana

hey rana ;)

i spoke to u a while back regarding this same subject...didn't i? ;)...

well as u know i was in the same boat & IT IS DOABLE!!!...i graduated with a b.s. in biology (pre-med) & was able to get into kasr el aini med...so i know first-hand that it can be done...

now how it's done...that 7abibtee is ANOTHER BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG MOSHKILA!!!!...a whole lot of paperwork & a whole lot of SODA3!...bas in the end it was worth it...even though i didn't finish med school, i was able to transfer to dent school ;) & am now a dentist...so if u'd like the exact steps of making the big transfer...let me know & i'll try & guide u thru it...

oh! & a big shout out to all the asnan ppl out there! ;)

best of luck to u all ;)

dalia

salaam, egyptianeyes77

i know you were speaking to Rana , but i was wondering if you could lay out the steps for me and the group. currently i am a RN in the USA , and for 2 years i have been trying to get information about medical schools in egypt-about tuition, admissions for americans(non-egyptions) etc.

thanks in advance, wasalaamu alaikum

Wow there is soo much to tell you guys about and a lot to reply too...I don't even know where to start. Hmm, well for starters let me update you a lil on what's been going on with me in the past few months. It's kinda crazy really...but...I'm a 1st year med student in El Minya right now. *sigh* Sad I know, but alhamdulilah. Well, I came back from the USA determined to find a way to stay here...and like I said before, credits that I had from over there don't count. So even tho I knew I'd be a 1st year student I still applied with the "Maktab El Tanseeq". Unfortunately tho my magmoo3 turned out to be a whooping 103.725%...and in 2005, the year I graduated from high school, which was apparently a really messed up year...that score would only be accepted at El Minya, Assuit or Sohag. Crazy enough?? Not only that, but after serious thinking and major hate for the stupid system I still agreed to go. I figured I can transfer to Cairo or Ain Shams next year. I mean it's been a really crazy year...moving, dealing with the ignorant mwazafeen, leaving my fam and living in a completely diff environment. And yeah I do sit back and think "Omg, what the hell am I doing with my life?" and "Will this really be worth it in the end?" and "Do I really love medicine this much?" and "Am I even good enough, will I succeed?" and "O-m-g I'm gonna be twenty frickin six when I'm done, that's sounds so old"....dude the questions are endless...but you know what? Alhamdulilah I'm pretty ok over there...getting used to the "system" and to my fellow Egyptians and their endless questions about why I have an accent in arabic, but I'm finally starting to feel content with my naseeb and even making friends. It's actually a little better than what I hear about Ain Shams and Cairo sometimes since there aren't as many students so you can get more personal attention from profs...and they're pretty organized. One more problem tho, which I'm still in the midst of figuring out...in El Minya we're gonna take the Upper Limb in Anatomy but at Ain Shams and Cairo they take the Lower Limb in the 1st year...so I'm still figuring out how I'm gonna transfer but inshAllah it should work because I just cannot imagine another year away from home. I've actually tried to apply to Cairo as an American citizen too and just pay the higher tuition but that doesn't work either since technically I was here at Cairo American College for my last year of high school, so I'd still have to deal with maktab el tanseeq and they'd still send me to El Minya. It's a long and confusing story I know, but inshAllah I'll be able to transfer and finally settle down and feel like this is going somewhere. Please remember me in your duaa.

Which brings me to what dr_mo2020 was saying...looks like this is gonna be a really long entry. First off let me remind you of what I've given up to be able to be in Egypt right now: a year away from my fam thinking I was gonna come back and be a 2nd year student and then realizing that it was pretty much "a year off" that wasn't gonna count, and now another year in Upper Egypt so far as the oldest student in our "doof3a", plus the stress, depression and exhaustion of fighting: the system, laziness of mwzafeen, ignorance of relatives whom also think I'm crazy for coming back btw, and going against my parents idea of “A doctora has to marry a doctor”… oh yeah plus the fact that I got $14,000 stolen from me (long story), other than the regular nostalgia and trying to adjust etc etc etc. Did you get all that? But after alllllll the crap I've been thru, I'll tell you that simply I think it's worth it. Yeah I wish it would be easier sometimes and I miss stuff back in the usa but I don't regret coming back. Why? Because I want to be an Egyptian. I want this experience. I've already lived in the USA for most of my life and inshAllah plan on going back to work... so this is my only chance to be able to live here...to interact with these people, to get to know what this place is all about, to understand where I come from. And from my point of view, if you can financially and socially afford it, coming back to Egypt for a while is a must...otherwise you'd be fooling yourself calling yourself Egyptian. I think after all that... the envious taxi driver, or the dishonest maid, or the robber, or the lazy mawazaf, or the dirty streets, or the stupid drivers n traffic problems, or the immature teenagers... (and I'll let you think of wat causes those ppl to act like that)...all sound like such superficial problems right? Especially when you're a person who can alhamdulilah afford to go back and forth whenever you want and to live a pretty luxurious life in Egypt (hmph at least much more luxuriously than you live in the usa). Cause I'm not saying everyone can do it, it just depends whether the reason is legitimate or not. Dude ur going to med school for free! Ppl who have no other choice but to spend at least 150 grand on their med education wish they could have this chance. Yeah I'm gonna admit it's not the picture my mom and dad have been painting in my mind for years... the whole "relatives and neighbors care about you" deal and "Islam is like everywhere" and stuff...but honestly it's not that bad. It's better than being an Egyptian by name living in the USA forever and then realizing that I might wanna come back when I'm 35 with kids... but not being able to because khalas I just can't adapt because it's too late. And don't try to tell me that I can adapt because that's just a fact..there are too many real life examples I've seen that just can't come back...khalas it's over for them really... they'll live, marry, have kids, and die in the usa. I'd rather be back now and go back and forth whenever I feel like it than my unconsciously forced to live in one place. I dunno if I confused you even more and I definitely don't mean to offend anyone...but it's just this feeling that I have that makes me feel like it's the right thing to do and it's really hard to explain especially online. Wow why am I telling you guys all this? Well, it's been a really long entry :eek: and I'll prob end up editing it like 17 times, but I hope you get what I'm saying. So please please don't generalize.

And yesmeena, I love this link: http://www.egyweb.com/guide/index.html.

Wishing you all a great Eid!! :)

Wow there is soo much to tell you guys about and a lot to reply too...I don't even know where to start. Hmm, well for starters let me update you a lil on what's been going on with me in the past few months. It's kinda crazy really...but...I'm a 1st year med student in El Minya right now. *sigh* Sad I know, but alhamdulilah. Well, I came back from the USA determined to find a way to stay here...and like I said before, credits that I had from over there don't count. So even tho I knew I'd be a 1st year student I still applied with the "Maktab El Tanseeq". Unfortunately tho my magmoo3 turned out to be a whooping 103.725%...and in 2005, the year I graduated from high school, which was apparently a really messed up year...that score would only be accepted at El Minya, Assuit or Sohag. Crazy enough?? Not only that, but after serious thinking and major hate for the stupid system I still agreed to go. I figured I can transfer to Cairo or Ain Shams next year. I mean it's been a really crazy year...moving, dealing with the ignorant mwazafeen, leaving my fam and living in a completely diff environment. And yeah I do sit back and think "Omg, what the hell am I doing with my life?" and "Will this really be worth it in the end?" and "Do I really love medicine this much?" and "Am I even good enough, will I succeed?" and "O-m-g I'm gonna be twenty frickin six when I'm done, that's sounds so old"....dude the questions are endless...but you know what? Alhamdulilah I'm pretty ok over there...getting used to the "system" and to my fellow Egyptians and their endless questions about why I have an accent in arabic, but I'm finally starting to feel content with my naseeb and even making friends. It's actually a little better than what I hear about Ain Shams and Cairo sometimes since there aren't as many students so you can get more personal attention from profs...and they're pretty organized. One more problem tho, which I'm still in the midst of figuring out...in El Minya we're gonna take the Upper Limb in Anatomy but at Ain Shams and Cairo they take the Lower Limb in the 1st year...so I'm still figuring out how I'm gonna transfer but inshAllah it should work because I just cannot imagine another year away from home. I've actually tried to apply to Cairo as an American citizen too and just pay the higher tuition but that doesn't work either since technically I was here at Cairo American College for my last year of high school, so I'd still have to deal with maktab el tanseeq and they'd still send me to El Minya. It's a long and confusing story I know, but inshAllah I'll be able to transfer and finally settle down and feel like this is going somewhere. Please remember me in your duaa.

Which brings me to what dr_mo2020 was saying...looks like this is gonna be a really long entry. First off let me remind you of what I've given up to be able to be in Egypt right now: a year away from my fam thinking I was gonna come back and be a 2nd year student and then realizing that it was pretty much "a year off" that wasn't gonna count, and now another year in Upper Egypt so far as the oldest student in our "doof3a", plus the stress, depression and exhaustion of fighting: the system, laziness of mwzafeen, ignorance of relatives whom also think I'm crazy for coming back btw, and going against my parents idea of “A doctora has to marry a doctor”… oh yeah plus the fact that I got $14,000 stolen from me (long story), other than the regular nostalgia and trying to adjust etc etc etc. Did you get all that? But after alllllll the crap I've been thru, I'll tell you that simply I think it's worth it. Yeah I wish it would be easier sometimes and I miss stuff back in the usa but I don't regret coming back. Why? Because I want to be an Egyptian. I want this experience. I've already lived in the USA for most of my life and inshAllah plan on going back to work... so this is my only chance to be able to live here...to interact with these people, to get to know what this place is all about, to understand where I come from. And from my point of view, if you can financially and socially afford it, coming back to Egypt for a while is a must...otherwise you'd be fooling yourself calling yourself Egyptian. I think after all that... the envious taxi driver, or the dishonest maid, or the robber, or the lazy mawazaf, or the dirty streets, or the stupid drivers n traffic problems, or the immature teenagers... (and I'll let you think of wat causes those ppl to act like that)...all sound like such superficial problems right? Especially when you're a person who can alhamdulilah afford to go back and forth whenever you want and to live a pretty luxurious life in Egypt (hmph at least much more luxuriously than you live in the usa). Cause I'm not saying everyone can do it, it just depends whether the reason is legitimate or not. Dude ur going to med school for free! Ppl who have no other choice but to spend at least 150 grand on their med education wish they could have this chance. Yeah I'm gonna admit it's not the picture my mom and dad have been painting in my mind for years... the whole "relatives and neighbors care about you" deal and "Islam is like everywhere" and stuff...but honestly it's not that bad. It's better than being an Egyptian by name living in the USA forever and then realizing that I might wanna come back when I'm 35 with kids... but not being able to because khalas I just can't adapt because it's too late. And don't try to tell me that I can adapt because that's just a fact..there are too many real life examples I've seen that just can't come back...khalas it's over for them really... they'll live, marry, have kids, and die in the usa. I'd rather be back now and go back and forth whenever I feel like it than my unconsciously forced to live in one place. I dunno if I confused you even more and I definitely don't mean to offend anyone...but it's just this feeling that I have that makes me feel like it's the right thing to do and it's really hard to explain especially online. Wow why am I telling you guys all this? Well, it's been a really long entry :eek: and I'll prob end up editing it like 17 times, but I hope you get what I'm saying. So please please don't generalize.

And yesmeena, I love this link: http://www.egyweb.com/guide/index.html.

Wishing you all a great Eid!! :)
Asalamu Alaykum Rana ,

Welcome to good ol' Egypt !! We're all cheering for you & have you in our prayers . Please check your private messages & feel free to keep in touch . I'd love to help in any way I can , one Sister to another . I have a friend who took the same road , and is back practicing in the States . Maybe I could introduce you to her.

Akeed Ramadan in Egypt is different . Hope you enjoy it . Study hard & don't loose focus . I can tell you now , you have a very mature out-look regarding the future & the whole being American-Egyptian package . I know you won't regret the move isA in the long run.

Fi Aman Illah .

Hey Rana!

Nope! GENERALIZE it! at least on me. well here's my story! its pretty much as urs but with a sequel! it was August 2003, just got back from dubai, my magmoo3 got me into tanta! what a mess! i didnt even know where this place was untill i got there. my parents left back to emirates & im home-alone spending my very first year in egypt not even in cairo but in tanta. my uncle booked me a room in a hotel for a year. damn i get goosebumps whenever i remember it! u c i got robbed there: my t-shirts, cologne even my toothpaste. there was also this wacko next door who kept screaming all night long! not to mention the weddings they held downstairs...my room was in the 2nd floor. the bass out of the speakers wud knock you off ur bed!!! ma3aleina i only stayed there for 6months. and for the next 2 1/2years that i was travelling in trains back & forth between cairo & tanta. abt 1-3X a week (it was bless! far less straining)
i really didnt make alot of friends except for the 2guys who travelled wid me. eventho ppl there were very nice, i just cudnt relate to them. we wud chat in campus, might even go out but i never felt them as true friends. Sometimes (in my early days in egypt) more than a month cud pass by without goin out for even a single weekend! (i wud talk 2 myself!, sometimes even cry!) but al7amdullah that was over long ago. At this moment, all your questions started to pop in my head! is this how im spending the best years of my life, thats what you call a college experience?!, Education here even sucks! why didnt i get into AUD (AU of dubai) next to my friends & family?!
IS IT WORTH IT?! the answer is YESS

Transfering from akaleem to Ain Shams & Cairo Medical faculties is allowed after ur 2nd year but i actually stayed for 3years in tanta! Y???!!!
coz tanta = awanta!! indeed in akaleem, med skools in akaleem med skools just give away marks! we didnt study all year long accept for the month just before out finals & midterms. its super-easy to catch-up in akaleem. u dont even have to stay there, no attendence records in university unlike ain shams where u have to be in university every single day just pay em a visit once or twice a week. as for Minya, its like 400km away (im an expert wid all EGYPTs akaleem now hehe!) so u cant do wut i did. instead u can take private tuitions both (theory & practical) "there are complete bodies lying in these centers to study anatomy on" wid AinShamsians in NasrCity & heliopolis or in Tahrir & maadi if u live on the other side of the city & stay home-sweet-home. there r only minor differences in the cirricula & make sure u have a friend back in Minya who gives u all the news. + ur bonus: u get better grades + the same medical knowledge for less effort than any other med skool in the capital. u only have to be there for ur exams. i got gayid gedan all 3years in tanta, i also met a guy in ainShams who transfered from Minya. he got imtiyaz in all 3years! Unlike most of the guys in AinShams who struggled. just make sure not to live in Minya because all the guys i know from cairo & alexandria who lived in tanta thinking they'll save time & effort failed! & had to retake the exact same subjects for another year:(
DON'T STAY IN MINYA. i've been there, it will never work out!

As for the Lazy mowazafeen, when they r just laying there chattin, sipping their tea, eating their falafel b4 it goes cold & not giving u any attention & u wanna just choke them! draw an innocent lost look on ur face preferably like the cats look in shrek 2 & ull work ur way through them. it has never failed me! u might even throw out a joke but make sure they r in a good mood

So other than the easy grades are there any other advantages?
ofcourse, all the ones u just mentioned
1. FREE med skool!!! u r out of med skool DEBT-FREE!
2. Egyptian Experience: u can now tolerate all the dirt, laziness, stupidity & anger!! u now knw how to deal with all of this smoothly & calmly. i guess what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.
3. U r now more grateful & thankful to god than ever b4. u saw how other ppl lived. I once saw a lady picking up leftovers in a garbage dump in tanta. ppl sleeping in streets wid flies allover them. i can now say al7amdu lil alah & really mean it
4. even with the presence of outdated equipment & shortage of new tech, u still get the one advantage ull only find in Egypt: the best hands-on clinical experience ever
5. there's no such thing as Medical Malpractice in Egypt!
6. Finally, some Animal Planet: i saw RATS as big as cats in tanta! those well-fed field rats!!! Cows & donkeys in Campus!

But Most importantly always know that nothing else matters as long as you are doing what you love.:cool: Just think of all the future potential awaiting you & it'll pass by like a breeze inshallah
hope this helps
GOOD LUCK!!!;) & EID MUBARAK to all of u!
Ahmed

Asalamu Alaykum Rana ,

Welcome to good ol' Egypt !! We're all cheering for you & have you in our prayers . Please check your private messages & feel free to keep in touch . I'd love to help in any way I can , one Sister to another . I have a friend who took the same road , and is back practicing in the States . Maybe I could introduce you to her.

Akeed Ramadan in Egypt is different . Hope you enjoy it . Study hard & don't loose focus . I can tell you now , you have a very mature out-look regarding the future & the whole being American-Egyptian package . I know you won't regret the move isA in the long run.

Fi Aman Illah .

Aww thanks! I got your private message, thank you and yeah it'd be a good idea to get to know her inshAllah if you wanna send me her email address or have a MSN convo or something. I already consider you guys my big sisters. ;) Wallahi the smallest things really mean the most, and I really appreciate your support!

Hey Rana!

Nope! GENERALIZE it! at least on me. well here's my story! its pretty much as urs but with a sequel! it was August 2003, just got back from dubai, my magmoo3 got me into tanta! what a mess! i didnt even know where this place was untill i got there. my parents left back to emirates & im home-alone spending my very first year in egypt not even in cairo but in tanta. my uncle booked me a room in a hotel for a year. damn i get goosebumps whenever i remember it! u c i got robbed there: my t-shirts, cologne even my toothpaste. there was also this wacko next door who kept screaming all night long! not to mention the weddings they held downstairs...my room was in the 2nd floor. the bass out of the speakers wud knock you off ur bed!!! ma3aleina i only stayed there for 6months. and for the next 2 1/2years that i was travelling in trains back & forth between cairo & tanta. abt 1-3X a week (it was bless! far less straining)
i really didnt make alot of friends except for the 2guys who travelled wid me. eventho ppl there were very nice, i just cudnt relate to them. we wud chat in campus, might even go out but i never felt them as true friends. Sometimes (in my early days in egypt) more than a month cud pass by without goin out for even a single weekend! (i wud talk 2 myself!, sometimes even cry!) but al7amdullah that was over long ago. At this moment, all your questions started to pop in my head! is this how im spending the best years of my life, thats what you call a college experience?!, Education here even sucks! why didnt i get into AUD (AU of dubai) next to my friends & family?!
IS IT WORTH IT?! the answer is YESS

Transfering from akaleem to Ain Shams & Cairo Medical faculties is allowed after ur 2nd year but i actually stayed for 3years in tanta! Y???!!!
coz tanta = awanta!! indeed in akaleem, med skools in akaleem med skools just give away marks! we didnt study all year long accept for the month just before out finals & midterms. its super-easy to catch-up in akaleem. u dont even have to stay there, no attendence records in university unlike ain shams where u have to be in university every single day just pay em a visit once or twice a week. as for Minya, its like 400km away (im an expert wid all EGYPTs akaleem now hehe!) so u cant do wut i did. instead u can take private tuitions both (theory & practical) "there are complete bodies lying in these centers to study anatomy on" wid AinShamsians in NasrCity & heliopolis or in Tahrir & maadi if u live on the other side of the city & stay home-sweet-home. there r only minor differences in the cirricula & make sure u have a friend back in Minya who gives u all the news. + ur bonus: u get better grades + the same medical knowledge for less effort than any other med skool in the capital. u only have to be there for ur exams. i got gayid gedan all 3years in tanta, i also met a guy in ainShams who transfered from Minya. he got imtiyaz in all 3years! Unlike most of the guys in AinShams who struggled. just make sure not to live in Minya because all the guys i know from cairo & alexandria who lived in tanta thinking they'll save time & effort failed! & had to retake the exact same subjects for another year:(
DON'T STAY IN MINYA. i've been there, it will never work out!

As for the Lazy mowazafeen, when they r just laying there chattin, sipping their tea, eating their falafel b4 it goes cold & not giving u any attention & u wanna just choke them! draw an innocent lost look on ur face preferably like the cats look in shrek 2 & ull work ur way through them. it has never failed me! u might even throw out a joke but make sure they r in a good mood

So other than the easy grades are there any other advantages?
ofcourse, all the ones u just mentioned
1. FREE med skool!!! u r out of med skool DEBT-FREE!
2. Egyptian Experience: u can now tolerate all the dirt, laziness, stupidity & anger!! u now knw how to deal with all of this smoothly & calmly. i guess what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.
3. U r now more grateful & thankful to god than ever b4. u saw how other ppl lived. I once saw a lady picking up leftovers in a garbage dump in tanta. ppl sleeping in streets wid flies allover them. i can now say al7amdu lil alah & really mean it
4. even with the presence of outdated equipment & shortage of new tech, u still get the one advantage ull only find in Egypt: the best hands-on clinical experience ever
5. there's no such thing as Medical Malpractice in Egypt!
6. Finally, some Animal Planet: i saw RATS as big as cats in tanta! those well-fed field rats!!! Cows & donkeys in Campus!

But Most importantly always know that nothing else matters as long as you are doing what you love.:cool: Just think of all the future potential awaiting you & it'll pass by like a breeze inshallah
hope this helps
GOOD LUCK!!!;) & EID MUBARAK to all of u!
Ahmed

Thank you soooo much. Really...I truly appreciate it. So where are you now? Hopefully you’ll like it inshAllah and the 3 long years will be worth it. Wow it's so weird because your experience is almost exactly like mine...including the cows, donkeys and even cabbage fields that are on campus! Which they claim are only there for the agricultural students. Haha but you know El Minya actually isn't as "fala7hi" or "sa3eedy" as I imagined...I was surprised to find that it was pretty "city-like"....so far my apartment is pretty comfortable thank God. I don't think I can do what you did tho, and not live in El Minya because as ironic as it may sound, they are pretty strict about attendance and like ppl never miss lectures let alone sections so it's kinda crazy....but I figure maybe because it's just the beginning of the year. InshAllah I’m working on finding a way to transfer out next year so it shouldn't be too hard hopefully. Nehow, thanks again and Eid Mubarak...it's officially on Tuesday for us here is Egypt, I hope everyone else in the USA and everywhere else is on the same day but I haven't asked yet. :)

Asalamu Alaykum Dear Sister Rana ,

Please check your PM .

Eid Mubarak to all isA :clap:

( US is celebrating with Saudi Arabia ; Monday their time isA )

Rana- DustyDog, YOu guys are amazing, and when u get through all this u'll look back like WOW, YOU MADE IT!!! An experience that will get u through the world all over, if u can do Egypt, believe me, the rest of the world is nothing...
And i definately agree its so important for ppl to be exposed to the other world. I definately remember every little bit of working in Kasr el Aini with the poor ghalaba patients- how i learned from them, and not the other way around, subhannallah. my other classmates- from a different world that i knew. I'll tell u a story, one day a friend from my old school called me (I also went to CAiro American College- which is like a VIP school in Maadi), and she was in AUC, and she was crying b/c her parents were giving her a hard time for going out to discos- the same day, i met this girl, and she was crying b/c her father couldn't afford to pay the 50 pounds of tuitiion not to mention the books, and for some reason she was telling me, she didn't realize who i was, or maybe Allah wanted me to see the world as it truly is. My eyes opened.

Khilast al modu3, i learned so much about Life. About good ppl, bad ppl, residents and professors who yell at the poor, and residents and professors who buy their patients meds, and will even kiss them, with tears in their eyes.
What can i say?
Sometimes its hard to explain Y i went to Kasr el Aini, i just say its a long story. But i was given back Egypt, a whole country, with its good and bad. Even if at the end of the day its different for us since we always have the choice to leave, once the experience, it becomes a part of us, and all of a sudden we represent more sides of the world, and are a part of more ppl of the world. Its something u guys that is not calculated by money or degrees, but rather by emotions and what makes us real as human beings, and that is whats real in this world. :thumbup:

hey every one I'm Hany from Egypt I study in Alazhar university exactly in the 3rd year
I just want to say { Eid Saeed }

Rana- DustyDog, YOu guys are amazing, and when u get through all this u'll look back like WOW, YOU MADE IT!!! An experience that will get u through the world all over, if u can do Egypt, believe me, the rest of the world is nothing...
And i definately agree its so important for ppl to be exposed to the other world. I definately remember every little bit of working in Kasr el Aini with the poor ghalaba patients- how i learned from them, and not the other way around, subhannallah. my other classmates- from a different world that i knew. I'll tell u a story, one day a friend from my old school called me (I also went to CAiro American College- which is like a VIP school in Maadi), and she was in AUC, and she was crying b/c her parents were giving her a hard time for going out to discos- the same day, i met this girl, and she was crying b/c her father couldn't afford to pay the 50 pounds of tuitiion not to mention the books, and for some reason she was telling me, she didn't realize who i was, or maybe Allah wanted me to see the world as it truly is. My eyes opened.

Khilast al modu3, i learned so much about Life. About good ppl, bad ppl, residents and professors who yell at the poor, and residents and professors who buy their patients meds, and will even kiss them, with tears in their eyes.
What can i say?
Sometimes its hard to explain Y i went to Kasr el Aini, i just say its a long story. But i was given back Egypt, a whole country, with its good and bad. Even if at the end of the day its different for us since we always have the choice to leave, once the experience, it becomes a part of us, and all of a sudden we represent more sides of the world, and are a part of more ppl of the world. Its something u guys that is not calculated by money or degrees, but rather by emotions and what makes us real as human beings, and that is whats real in this world. :thumbup:

;)

masha2Allah , pretty inspiring stories ya gama3a , glad you chose to share it with us , it should really humble us & make us appreciate everything Allah swt has granted us .

Oh iam new in da forum and i've noticed this subject !! i guess dat me and rana should exchanges the places lol !! bs believe me rana u r nt totally doing da rite thing by trying 2 continue ur studies in egypt! am thinking of moving 2 da states n go there as a transfer student.. :)

What can i say?

touching!;)