TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hooooray first interview invite!!!!
maybe i'll see you guys in sept! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite! Yay!

Anyone know what's a good hotel to stay at?? (I think were gonna go the weekend before my interview, since I've never been to NYC before..)

Thanks!

Hi Guys,
Since I am seeing a lot of the same questions that popped up on last years thread, I am giving you the link.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=452627

Since I live in the area I can not comment on the hotels. As for the airports, LGA (LaGuadia) is the closest but DO NOT PLAN ON FLYING IN ON THE DAY OF INTERVIEW. There are always delays and LGA usually has to many flights going in and out leading to delays!

If you are in town for a few days, get a guide book on NYC. There are a million things to do and you can get around on subway alone for many of them.

Good Luck!

I got my secondary.... filling it out right now i'm so excited..... this may be a dumb question but did you all type ur application?

Members don't see this ad :)
redrumi - you already scheduled your interview, right? did you catch mr sow on the phone or schedule via email?

*bump*

where are all the Touro-NYers at??

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio and you?

ohhh yeah I remember now from the OU thread, from Ohio but despises OSU! :p
I'm from Ohio but will be coming up from Philly so it's just a Chinatown bus ride away!

Gold5 - what year are you?

so i got my interview offer but can not go till oct due to other interviews... hopefully scheduling it for oct 21st or something around there

Got mine today, trying to figure out how to schedule it around the TUCOM NV one. As well as convincing work to let me take more time off hah

Got mine today, trying to figure out how to schedule it around the TUCOM NV one. As well as convincing work to let me take more time off hah

i hear ya with that.... for those that interviewed already where did u stay and did u fly into Newark NJ airport or la guardia and how did u get around town? what was the cost of the hotel?

thanks

i hear ya with that.... for those that interviewed already where did u stay and did u fly into Newark NJ airport or la guardia and how did u get around town? what was the cost of the hotel?

thanks

I'm flying into La guardia and then using cabs. There's a ton of hotels. I would call and find one that gives discounts to interviewers. I was lucky enough to have points to stay at the Fairfield for free.

LGA tends to have a lot more delays than JFK. I try to avoid LGA like the plague when I fly into NY. Sometimes it is unavoidable though. :cool:

I got rejected??? :confused:

What the hell, they don't even have my MCAT yet!!

After a thorough review of your AACOMAS-application, the Admissions and Standards Committee has concluded that we will not be able to offer you a place in the Fall 2009 entering class. Unfortunately, your credentials did not appropriately match the Admissions Committee’s criteria in selecting our class.

Man shot down without even a chance. Better get used to the rejections I guess.

I got rejected??? :confused:

What the hell, they don't even have my MCAT yet!!

Man shot down without even a chance. Better get used to the rejections I guess.
that's crazy! you should give them a call or something.. you're GPA is not even bad.. what are they basing this rejection on!? They should at least put you on hold until your MCAT scores come in.

EDIT: i guess its based on your AACOMAS-- as you boldly noted

that's crazy! you should give them a call or something.. you're GPA is not even bad.. what are they basing this rejection on!? They should at least put you on hold until your MCAT scores come in.

EDIT: i guess its based on your AACOMAS-- as you boldly noted

Lol, the e-mail had AACOMAS bolded, I just copied and pasted.

Anyway I called the admissions office today. Turns out there was a computer glitch. The email I should have recieved was one simply stating that they had not yet recieved my MCAT scores, so I had to get myself un-rejected. Crazyness.

Now I gotta go call LECOM because its another school that seems to have rejected me prematurely.

Lol, the e-mail had AACOMAS bolded, I just copied and pasted.

Anyway I called the admissions office today. Turns out there was a computer glitch. The email I should have recieved was one simply stating that they had not yet recieved my MCAT scores, so I had to get myself un-rejected. Crazyness.

Now I gotta go call LECOM because its another school that seems to have rejected me prematurely.
wow that is some glitch!

Hey guys,

I saw some people used the same PS from their primary and some people rewrote theirs.

What do you guys who r students think about just adding some stuff to the original. I really like my personal statement and it seems like most of the stuff they ask for on the secondary can be found on the primary, just a quick way to make $200.

what do u think?

ok, silly question...for the personal statement part of the secondary, do they want us to include why Touro-NY as well? It's not explicitly stated, but I wanted to see if other people are including that info.

ok, silly question...for the personal statement part of the secondary, do they want us to include why Touro-NY as well? It's not explicitly stated, but I wanted to see if other people are including that info.

i wasnt going to

Hey guys,

I saw some people used the same PS from their primary and some people rewrote theirs.

What do you guys who r students think about just adding some stuff to the original. I really like my personal statement and it seems like most of the stuff they ask for on the secondary can be found on the primary, just a quick way to make $200.

what do u think?

i just added why touro-ny, why osteo and then more about what i am doing this year - so not a whole lot more, but i wanted to use the space to address additional things on top of my primary statement.

so far, has anyone that has received a secondary, been rejected for an interview this year? curious since i just received my secondary.

it says something about getting an interview if u get the secondary in the email they send u

it doesn't explicitly say that for me

alright, dumb question alert:

for "employment history/health care experience" do they mean employment and/or health care experience, or only employment that was health care related?

Just received an interview invite! This going to be my first time in NY!:)

Anyone know how long it will take to get from the school to LaGuardia airport via train/subway? I'm trying to schedule flights out for after my interview. I've never been to NY so I'm clueless...

You can't get to LaGuardia by subway. If you want to take public transportation there is a bus that runs there, but it takes forever and I wouldn't recommend it.

I would really suggest taking a cab. Depending on the time of day (rush hour) it can take a little longer, but it usually is about 20 minutes and will cost like $15-20.

Anyone know how long it will take to get from the school to LaGuardia airport via train/subway? I'm trying to schedule flights out for after my interview. I've never been to NY so I'm clueless...

You can't get to LaGuardia by subway. If you want to take public transportation there is a bus that runs there, but it takes forever and I wouldn't recommend it.

I would really suggest taking a cab. Depending on the time of day (rush hour) it can take a little longer, but it usually is about 20 minutes and will cost like $15-20.

Awesome. That is even better. I don't mind paying $15-20 bucks for a cab. :thumbup:

Hey all! I'm one of the new students at Touro (MS-1) and just wanted to introduce myself. Can't wait to meet some of you during your interviews hopefully! Good luck to everyone. Just an added note, I moved here from Michigan, really didn't think I'd ever want to live in NYC before... and I'm totally loving it (when I have time to anyway, hehe).

I hope things went well for you guys today

alright, dumb question alert:

for "employment history/health care experience" do they mean employment and/or health care experience, or only employment that was health care related?

Either or anything you think is relevant I would put down. The trick is to try and sell yourself to the admissions committee.

Hey all! I'm one of the new students at Touro (MS-1) and just wanted to introduce myself. Can't wait to meet some of you during your interviews hopefully! Good luck to everyone. Just an added note, I moved here from Michigan, really didn't think I'd ever want to live in NYC before... and I'm totally loving it (when I have time to anyway, hehe).

Hey Stormcrow501, I think you need to change your status to medical student. Congratulations and keep us informed about your experiences!

Can someone tell me where exactly we are supposed to report to on interview day? And do they need us to bring anything like passport etc? Thanks in advance!

Can someone tell me where exactly we are supposed to report to on interview day? And do they need us to bring anything like passport etc? Thanks in advance!

haha good thinking...see you on wednesday!

I sent in my secondary a while ago, but haven't heard anything. Is it better to call or email?

BTW, good luck to you interviewees!

I would just call them. I received an interview invite the day they received my secondary.

countdown to two weeks begins! I'm hoping for some great news for all of us!! :D

Anyone interviewing on 9/23??!

Status
Not open for further replies.