TouroCOM- Harlem vs. PCOM- GA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thack20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been accepted to both schools and I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I liked both campuses and I feel like academically they are pretty similar. I'm from New York, but I want to live and work in the South eventually so I would feel comfortable in both settings. I'm coming straight from undergrad so I would want the school with a closer student community that like goes out together and does stuff. I feel like Suwanee may not have much to do even though living there would be cheaper. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some input that could help me choose. This can include like rotations, personal experience, life at both. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've recently been accepted to both schools and I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I liked both campuses and I feel like academically they are pretty similar. I'm from New York, but I want to live and work in the South eventually so I would feel comfortable in both settings. I'm coming straight from undergrad so I would want the school with a closer student community that like goes out together and does stuff. I feel like Suwanee may not have much to do even though living there would be cheaper. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some input that could help me choose. This can include like rotations, personal experience, life at both. Thanks!
Suwanee is a nice area and is 30-35 min from Atlanta. I don't know much about NY but I know the COL is probably much higher than in GA. I will be attending PCOM-GA this fall and chose it over other schools based on location and its affiliation with PCOM-PA. Not that it means much but the match list for 2016 was very impressive. It just shows that if you are a good student you will not be limited in deciding a specialty. Also, if you want to live and work in the south, it would probably benefit you to start making connections in the south. Best of luck to you.

Nothing against Touro as an institution, but the campus is in the middle of the slums. They tell you to be cautious when you walk around the area of the campus and "never carry around your laptop or iPad". Another drawback is that you share the building with pharmacy students, although they have their own floors. Plus like that above poster said, COL is ridiculously high compared to GA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Suwanee is a nice area and is 30-35 min from Atlanta. I don't know much about NY but I know the COL is probably much higher than in GA. I will be attending PCOM-GA this fall and chose it over other schools based on location and its affiliation with PCOM-PA. Not that it means much but the match list for 2016 was very impressive. It just shows that if you are a good student you will not be limited in deciding a specialty. Also, if you want to live and work in the south, it would probably benefit you to start making connections in the south. Best of luck to you.
Do you know how close the students are to each other and what they do for fun? Like I'm not going to med school to have a good time, but I would want a place where you can hit the bars or something after a big test once in a while. Also do you know anything about the rotations because I read that they got rid of the West Palm Beach one and there's just one ATL one and the rest are in smaller towns in Georgia.

Do you know how close the students are to each other and what they do for fun? Like I'm not going to med school to have a good time, but I would want a place where you can hit the bars or something after a big test once in a while. Also do you know anything about the rotations because I read that they got rid of the West Palm Beach one and there's just one ATL one and the rest are in smaller towns in Georgia.
We just had an orientation meeting today about the rotation sites. I've had several students PM me regarding this, so I figured I'd just post it here instead of making a new thread about it. This info is subject to change from year to year, so it may not be exactly the same for your cohort.

1. Where are the rotation sites?

a. Clerkships are mostly in Georgia, one site in Alabama, one site in Jacksonville, FL, couple sites in NJ and Penn​

b. The rotation map: View attachment 201964

2. How is it determined where students go?

a. Previously: LOTTERY EARLY IN SECOND YEAR (NOVEMBER/DECEMBER). ONLINE SYSTEM WHERE YOU INPUT RANKS OF ALL OF THE CHOICES ; System uses randomization with optimization based on rankings; students have 1 month after lottery where they may trade their slots. There is possibility of a new system this year based on survey results from DO1 students​

3. How many slots are there at each site?

a. Different per site, changes from year to year depending on the physicians and hospitals willing to teach. Everyone gets slotted, as there are always enough slots; Students train with other Georgia medical students who may also be at these slots​

4. How are the rotations set up? Do we have to call to set them up ourselves, or do faculty help?

a. You get a schedule with a report date + location the moment you finish second year. The physicians know to expect you and will help you out at your rotation site. Fourth year elective/selectives are determined by students.​

5. What will our 3rd/4th years look like in terms of what rotations we will do?

6. Will we be working with preceptors or interns?

a. Metro areas = typically work with residents​

b. Rural areas = typically work with attendings​

7. What is the schedule immediately after year two? When do clerkships begin?

a. First day of M2T3 (we are on a 13 week trimester system) you take COMATs > 0 stakes test that will help you determine how much you need to study for boards​

b. BOARDS NEED TO BE DONE BY AUGUST BUT SEE BELOW

c. View attachment 201966

d. M2T3 is now 6 weeks (WE UNOFFICIALLY HAVE 6 WEEKS TO STUDY FOR BOARDS SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

e. Week 7 classes finish​

f. ADVANCED CLINICAL SKILLS BEGINS IN JUNE/JULY DEPENDING ON WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR VACATION MONTH​

g. VACATION MONTH: this can be used immediately for more board study if needed, or can be taken any time during Yr 3​

h. Depending on when and if you took vacation months, rotations start in JULY/AUGUST​

8. Do we rotate at one or multiple hospitals at the region we are sent?

a. Multiple hospitals in each region; students are based in an area near one hospital with rotations occurring in both hospital AND community​

9. How can we determine which areas we would like to go to?

a. In October of M2 there are students who skype or google hangout in to classroom to educate students about the different sites (this occurs before students rank their preferred sides)​

10. Can you pick your physician who you would like to be trained under?

a. No.​

11. Do we need to organize our own living situation or do we get any help?

a. Rotations within 50 minutes of your site: you are on your own ; outside of that housing is provided with school assistance​

12. How is the rotation order determined?

a. Random. Order of rotations varies depending on student and site; students have some say, but once registrar enters the information in, there is no changing. Preceptors are informed if a student is on their first rotation, and they are graded with this in mind​

13. What is each rotation grade based on?

a. Shelf exam ; two STD DEVs within average = passing. Rotation performance indicated by your supervising physicians​

I'm an incoming student so I don't know much about the classes before me but when I asked about this at the interview I was told that the class of 2019 was very close knit. I know that there are a lot of restaurants/bars in the Suwannee area but if you are looking for a good bar scene you would probably need to go to Inman Park, Virginia Highlands, Grant Park, Decatur or West Midtown. All are about 30 min away.

Which school did you decide on?