Touro University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone have any chemistry classes in progress but still was able to receive an interview - or maybe even get accepted???:luck:

BTW...

Good LUCK to everyone applying!!! Especially to applicants who were wait listed...I know your pain - I was originally a pre nursing student! 5 year wait lists are not a myth ;)

As far as you show in your plan that you are done with your prerequisites by the end of spring semester of 2010, having in progress courses would not be a problem for getting an interview.

Goodluck! :luck::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I didn't ask for an email status report because I was too nervous and didn't want to ruin my weekend. But I just got my acceptance letter today, (yay!) and I had my interview oct 21. I am so beyond excited. I had to call all of my family and friends from college today. I also want to say that I think everyone in my interview did awesome and everyone had really strong answers. I don't know how they chose who to accept but it must have been on the interviewer personal perceptions of each person, which is hard to predict. So everyone don't get too down, especially if you are on the wait list. I know that lots of people on the wait list end up getting in and it is still very early in this years application cycle.

For those of you who have not had your interview yet, I do have some advice. Definitely check out the interview feed back on SDN, it gives a great picture of what the interview will be like. Also I was able to talk to a friend who had an interview there last year. She was able to give me a good description of the entire day which made me feel more comfortable and confident about the day since I knew what to expect. Also I think it is very important to dress professional. I think this means wearing a full suit for guys and girls. I also think girls should wear there hair up and out of their face... but it is up to you, and maybe the interviews don't really care.. I don't know. Stay composed in your interview... One of the interviewers in my group kept picking at people's answers. It kind of threw people off their points ( myself included). Do not under any circumstances interupt someone's answer.

Just stay calm and don't stress too much! Everyone was super super nice and they want us to like the school and feel comfortable there. Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I didn't ask for an email status report because I was too nervous and didn't want to ruin my weekend. But I just got my acceptance letter today, (yay!) and I had my interview oct 21. I am so beyond excited. I had to call all of my family and friends from college today. I also want to say that I think everyone in my interview did awesome and everyone had really strong answers. I don't know how they chose who to accept but it must have been on the interviewer personal perceptions of each person, which is hard to predict. So everyone don't get too down, especially if you are on the wait list. I know that lots of people on the wait list end up getting in and it is still very early in this years application cycle.

Congratulations! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Chromatography and to everyone else who interviewed! I LOVE reading this thread because it gives me *hope* since everyone's story seems to be a success story! I'm still working on my supplemental app... Did anyone else find the personal statement difficult??? Any pointers/suggestions you have would be great! Thanks! :cool:

Thanks guys! =) As far as the supplemental essay goes, you need to focus some positive characteristics about yourself that make you stand out. Just got to tough it up and finish it. Good luck!

Can anyone tell me about the interview? Also is it usually on Wed and Thursday? I haven't call Julie to schedule an interview yet. I would just like to get an idea on what classes I might need to skip...Thanks

Thanks guys! =) As far as the supplemental essay goes, you need to focus some positive characteristics about yourself that make you stand out. Just got to tough it up and finish it. Good luck!

Can anyone tell me about the interview? Also is it usually on Wed and Thursday? I haven't call Julie to schedule an interview yet. I would just like to get an idea on what classes I might need to skip...Thanks

Interviews are held Wednesdays and Thursdays. My interview day started at 9 a.m., with presentations by Mr. Davis and a financial aid person. Then we wrote the essay (approx. 45 minutes -- there were two questions to choose from), then we walked to the lower part of campus where we had Q&A with the dean (very cool!). After that, we were split into two groups of 5-6 for interviews. My group had five interviewees and three interviewers (two faculty and one student). The whole interview lasted about an hour. They give everyone a chance to answer the questions, but I heard in the other group the interviewers actually called on particular people to answer questions. So I think it all depends on the interviewers.

Some tips: don't interrupt other people's answers, and try not to hog the "air time." Be real, too. It was obvious when someone was just reciting something from memory. Have some general "talking points" in mind but don't memorize your answers. And stay calm! The interview was fairly relaxed -- it's not as stressful as you might think.

After the interview, we went on a tour and had a quick lunch, during which we got to ask two faculty members some questions. After that, we were done. A well-organized day overall. I was in my car headed back to school by 1:45 p.m.

Good luck! :)

Thanks AntiViral...I am just kinda nervous about the group interview...English is my second language, I talk weird whenever I am stressed out...hopefully I'll be alright. Also after looking at the interview feedback, I think CNCP has way easier interview questions

Thanks AntiViral...I am just kinda nervous about the group interview...English is my second language, I talk weird whenever I am stressed out...hopefully I'll be alright. Also after looking at the interview feedback, I think CNCP has way easier interview questions

Don't worry Chromatography. When I was being interviewed, in our group of 5 applicants, 3 of us were not native English speakers. The atmosphere was so relaxing and all of did well... Just relax and be confident... And you will make it...

Goodluck! :luck:

Don't worry Chromatography. When I was being interviewed, in our group of 5 applicants, 3 of us were not native English speakers. The atmosphere was so relaxing and all of did well... Just relax and be confident... And you will make it...

Goodluck! :luck:

Thanks Hedieh! I will do my best! My interview is scheduled 12/16!

how long did it take you guys to get the supplemental? i submitted pharmCAS on nov 2nd and haven't heard anything from them at all :(

It took about 6 weeks for me. But its probably going to take a lot less shorter time for your's. On the other hand, I submitted my supplemental app about a month ago and I have yet to get an interview invite!

Members don't see this ad :)
It took about 6 weeks for me. But its probably going to take a lot less shorter time for your's. On the other hand, I submitted my supplemental app about a month ago and I have yet to get an interview invite!

Same here :( I haven't heard anything from them yet :confused:

Hi everyone,

For those who made their $2000 deposit, I was wondering if you received any sort of confirmation from the office of admission?

I want to know your ideas about MPH programm. Do you want to take your MPH at the same time, too? Would you please share your ideas about this option? I personally haven't decided to register for MPH or not.

Goodluck for everyone! :thumbup:

I am very interested in getting an MPH at the same time as my PharmD. But I am kind of confused... the paper that we got during the interview about the program says you get a GCPH: graduate certificate in public health.. Is this the same as an MPH.. I don't really think so... I think the guy talking about it at the interview said they were trying to turn it into a masters, but I'm not sure. I don't really know how having this GCPH would help for a career in the future and if it would be worth having the stress of extra course work during Pharm school... What do you guys think? Do you know the status of the certification awarded for the program? why are you guys interested in it?

I am very interested in getting an MPH at the same time as my PharmD. But I am kind of confused... the paper that we got during the interview about the program says you get a GCPH: graduate certificate in public health.. Is this the same as an MPH.. I don't really think so... I think the guy talking about it at the interview said they were trying to turn it into a masters, but I'm not sure. I don't really know how having this GCPH would help for a career in the future and if it would be worth having the stress of extra course work during Pharm school... What do you guys think? Do you know the status of the certification awarded for the program? why are you guys interested in it?

If you do decide to pursue a dual degree, you will graduate with a PharmD and a MPH. The GCPH is an option, but no one ever chooses that option. Be assure that both the College of Health Science and the College of Pharmacy are fully accredited. In terms of work load, it is very manageable. Since the MPH courses are held at night, they will not interfere with your Pharmacy courses. Also, many elective courses required as part of the MPH program can be satisfy by courses required in the Pharmacy program. The benefit of pursuing a dual degree is that you are only required to do a 200 hours field study rather than the 400 required of a solo MPH student. Hopes that help.

If anyone has any question regarding the MPH program, feel free to message me.

Thanks researchpharmd and sunnyeyedme for your feedback. :)

ResearchPharmd, thanks for sharing the information.

Sunny, I haven't decided yet but I am more willing to take MPH than not to take. Let's share the information whenever we found out about something new in this regard.

The papers they gave at the interview clearly state it's a graduate certificate and not a Master's degree. I would call the school if you're still not sure on what you'll end up with. I have declined my acceptance, but have all the papers here that show it's not a Master's. They are trying to get the Master's in at some point, and that may happen within the 4 years you're attending. If that happens, they said that all the courses for the grad certificate will transfer into the Master's program. My two cents.

The papers they gave at the interview clearly state it's a graduate certificate and not a Master's degree. I would call the school if you're still not sure on what you'll end up with. I have declined my acceptance, but have all the papers here that show it's not a Master's. They are trying to get the Master's in at some point, and that may happen within the 4 years you're attending. If that happens, they said that all the courses for the grad certificate will transfer into the Master's program. My two cents.

That's interesting. I sure the certificate is an option. However, specify that you would like to pursue a dual degree and they will set that up. From my experiences, I have never heard of anyone graduating with a certification rather than a master. The dual degree program will give you a PharmD/MPH. This link should provide you guys with more details on all your options: http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=48&page=594#Dual Degree

That's interesting. I sure the certificate is an option. However, specify that you would like to pursue a dual degree and they will set that up. From my experiences, I have never heard of anyone graduating with a certification rather than a master. The dual degree program will give you a PharmD/MPH. This link should provide you guys with more details on all your options: http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=48&page=594#Dual Degree

Hi,

Coastygirl, I think you are correct. I remember Steve Davis said it was a certificate program and not a master's program. It is also indicated on the acceptance letter.

medium alternative equal rejection?

Congrat to those who got accepted.
I have my interview on Dec 2nd, and I am very nervous....Any advice?
What are the essay quetions? Is it really hard? Please if possible post them.. Thanks

Congrat to those who got accepted.
I have my interview on Dec 2nd, and I am very nervous....Any advice?
What are the essay quetions? Is it really hard? Please if possible post them.. Thanks

Its a group interview, so you have plenty of time to think before answering. The interviewers I had were super nice and asked really straight forward questions. Every has different essay questions and you have 2 to choose from. I got essay questions regarding dedication and work ethics while other people got it on education and such. They are open-ended questions and nothing to worry about. Don't stress! Enjoy your interview because everyone there is really nice :) Good luck!

I e-mailed the Public Health department at Touro to get a better answer to my questions. Here is the response:

Congratulations on your admittance to the Touro University College of Pharmacy! Thank you for your interest in the Touro University Public Health Program. To answer your question: Currently, there is no official PharmD/MPH dual degree program offered at Touro University. The GCPH (Graduate Certificate in Public Health )and the MPH (Master of Public Health) are not the same. Please see the following details:

The GCPH is a 16-unit course of study that provides general public health instruction geared to the unique interests of individual students in either Community Health or Global Health. It's an opportunity for those working professionals and/or graduate students currently enrolled at Touro University-California wishing to increase their employability by gaining additional exposure to public health. Students who complete the Graduate Certificate and later wish to enter the MPH Degree Program will be granted full credit for coursework completed as part of the GCPH.

Our Public Health Program offers an MPH degree with two distinctive tracks: Community Health and Global Health preparing graduates to assume leadership roles in managing the needs of populations in developing countries working in international health agencies, such as WHO, UNHCR, PAHO, federal agencies such as the CDC, USAID, non-governmental agencies, immigrant and migrant health services, philanthropic organizations, research institutions and academia, the private sector, and voluntary organizations. MPH students are required to complete a total of 42 units, 400 contact hours of field experience, and a capstone research project to culminate their learning experience.

Background: The College of Pharmacy (COP) previously decided to hold off on offering the PharmD/MPH dual degree until after they had received accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. However, there have been many Touro University PharmD students who have expressed desire to enroll in MPH courses concurrently. As a result, COP and the Public Health Program have allowed these students to enroll in the GCPH. All PharmD students who complete the GCPH and later wish to enter the MPH Degree Program will be granted full credit for coursework completed as part of the GCPH.

Good News: COP received accreditation earlier this year; the PharmD/MPH dual degree program is currently being developed. In addition, the MPH Program has also received accreditation from the Council on Education for Public Health as of October 2009.

If you are inquiring about the Public Health Program’s summer start, it is usually the first week in June. The summer schedule hasn’t yet been published; I can email you the exact date sometime next week. To my knowledge, COP has two starts: fall and spring only.

I hope this helps. Although we cannot guarantee, we are optimistic that the PharmD/MPH dual degree program will be effective Fall 2010 and would think that you would be classified as a PharmD/MPH dual degree candidate, rather than a PharmD/GCPH candidate, if you were to apply. For information on the Public Health Program, please visit our webpage at http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=60&page=544.

Can you guys please please post your interview essay questions..English is not my first language and I have hard time writing essays, it would be good if I have some idea of what type of essay questions there is going be..so please post them
Thank you

Can you guys please please post your interview essay questions..English is not my first language and I have hard time writing essays, it would be good if I have some idea of what type of essay questions there is going be..so please post them
Thank you

Without giving the actual questions away, I will tell you that they are very broad questions -- and they're not necessarily related to health care. You get a choice of 2-3.

Hope that helps -- good luck! :D

I e-mailed the Public Health department at Touro to get a better answer to my questions. Here is the response:

Congratulations on your admittance to the Touro University College of Pharmacy! Thank you for your interest in the Touro University Public Health Program. To answer your question: Currently, there is no official PharmD/MPH dual degree program offered at Touro University. The GCPH (Graduate Certificate in Public Health )and the MPH (Master of Public Health) are not the same. Please see the following details:

The GCPH is a 16-unit course of study that provides general public health instruction geared to the unique interests of individual students in either Community Health or Global Health. It's an opportunity for those working professionals and/or graduate students currently enrolled at Touro University-California wishing to increase their employability by gaining additional exposure to public health. Students who complete the Graduate Certificate and later wish to enter the MPH Degree Program will be granted full credit for coursework completed as part of the GCPH.

Our Public Health Program offers an MPH degree with two distinctive tracks: Community Health and Global Health preparing graduates to assume leadership roles in managing the needs of populations in developing countries working in international health agencies, such as WHO, UNHCR, PAHO, federal agencies such as the CDC, USAID, non-governmental agencies, immigrant and migrant health services, philanthropic organizations, research institutions and academia, the private sector, and voluntary organizations. MPH students are required to complete a total of 42 units, 400 contact hours of field experience, and a capstone research project to culminate their learning experience.

Background: The College of Pharmacy (COP) previously decided to hold off on offering the PharmD/MPH dual degree until after they had received accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. However, there have been many Touro University PharmD students who have expressed desire to enroll in MPH courses concurrently. As a result, COP and the Public Health Program have allowed these students to enroll in the GCPH. All PharmD students who complete the GCPH and later wish to enter the MPH Degree Program will be granted full credit for coursework completed as part of the GCPH.

Good News: COP received accreditation earlier this year; the PharmD/MPH dual degree program is currently being developed. In addition, the MPH Program has also received accreditation from the Council on Education for Public Health as of October 2009.

If you are inquiring about the Public Health Program’s summer start, it is usually the first week in June. The summer schedule hasn’t yet been published; I can email you the exact date sometime next week. To my knowledge, COP has two starts: fall and spring only.

I hope this helps. Although we cannot guarantee, we are optimistic that the PharmD/MPH dual degree program will be effective Fall 2010 and would think that you would be classified as a PharmD/MPH dual degree candidate, rather than a PharmD/GCPH candidate, if you were to apply. For information on the Public Health Program, please visit our webpage at http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=60&page=544.

Thank sunny for sharing the information... It was so helpful! :thumbup: :)

First of all, congrats on your acceptance. Just a word of advice, since Touro pharm D is an accelerated program, you are taking 21-22 units per semester for 2 years. Trust me you won't have time to even sleep so I don't know how viable a dual PharmD/MPH will be. Besides, the public health course in the pharmacy program is already a complete waste of time for me (most people in the class agree with me btw) so I don't know how you can handle extra public health classes to satisfy the MPH degree.

Has anyone who interviewed on Oct. 28 or 29 heard back from the admissions office yet? I haven't heard a peep...

First of all, congrats on your acceptance. Just a word of advice, since Touro pharm D is an accelerated program, you are taking 21-22 units per semester for 2 years. Trust me you won't have time to even sleep so I don't know how viable a dual PharmD/MPH will be. Besides, the public health course in the pharmacy program is already a complete waste of time for me (most people in the class agree with me btw) so I don't know how you can handle extra public health classes to satisfy the MPH degree.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on the public health classes. A good friend of mine who also went to Touro told me the same thing. I was really considering it but think I will opt out of it now.

2 years of didactic instruction (I think this is very fast-paced).
2 years of Clinical experience.

Usually most schools do 3 years of didactic instruction and 1 year of Clinical experience/rotations.

I hope that helps..

Accelerated program??? But it's 4 years...

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. Touro has an "accelerated" pharmD program in a sense that they condense normal 3 years worth of in-class lecture into 2 years, and they extend the rotation part from 1 year (as most normal pharmacy programs have) to 2 years so that students can get 1 extra year of actual clinical experience comparing to other pharmacy programs.

Last edited:
Has anyone who interviewed on Oct. 28 or 29 heard back from the admissions office yet? I haven't heard a peep...

well, I had my interview on 11/5 and I got my acceptance email yesterday....did u send an email to Mr. Davis asking him to release your results to you via email?

well, I had my interview on 11/5 and I got my acceptance email yesterday....did u send an email to Mr. Davis asking him to release your results to you via email?

I received my acceptance letter in the mail today -- I'm thrilled! :D

I received my acceptance letter in the mail today -- I'm thrilled! :D

Hey AntiviralsRule, congrats! So now that you got accepted to both Touro and UOP, which school are you going to choose for now (until you hear from other schools)? I also got accepted to both and still debating where I'd like to go.

Received my acceptance on Friday 11/13..Friday 13 is not bad at all..yeahhhhh...2 acceptances in 1 day...:clap::soexcited:

------------------------
Sullivan University (interviewed 10/30)
Touro University - California (accepted 11/13) :soexcited:
USN (accepted 11/13) :banana::banana::banana:

Received my acceptance on Friday 11/13..Friday 13 is not bad at all..yeahhhhh...2 acceptances in 1 day...:clap::soexcited:

------------------------
Sullivan University (interviewed 10/30)
Touro University - California (accepted 11/13) :soexcited:
USN (accepted 11/13) :banana::banana::banana:

I seems that Friday the 13th was not bad at all for you!
Congrats! :thumbup:

Congratz to those who got accepted, and good luck to those getting an interview soon..
I just had my interview scheduled on 12/3. i'll definitely check out the touro interview feedbacks.
I just wanna ask for opinions on whether i should fly from lax to oakland, then take the shuttle to the marriott hotel, and so on.. OR drive from socal to davis to stay at a friend's place, then drive to touro on the interview day.

Congratz to those who got accepted, and good luck to those getting an interview soon..
I just had my interview scheduled on 12/3. i'll definitely check out the touro interview feedbacks.
I just wanna ask for opinions on whether i should fly from lax to oakland, then take the shuttle to the marriott hotel, and so on.. OR drive from socal to davis to stay at a friend's place, then drive to touro on the interview day.

I prefer the first choice, becuase the second one is more stressful, and I personally prefer to have more peace of mind on the interview day...

Goodluck! :)

I prefer the first choice, becuase the second one is more stressful, and I personally prefer to have more peace of mind on the interview day...

Goodluck! :)

Thanks Hadieh and congratz on ur acceptance :D,
i think i'll fly there and stay in the hotel. i dont mind driving ~6 hrs to davis, but yea, the less stress b4 the interview, the better it is.

Congrats Saks and everyone else who got accepted. I was debating if I should go to the 12/3 one, but I end up didn't it since I have final the following week. So Instead I schedule 12/16.

Also I don't know if they have tiers? But I got my invites about beginning of november

Waiting for interview invitations sucks. Just wondering how long did it take you guys to get your interview invite after submitting your supplemental.

Hello, I interviewed on Wed 11/18 and I just got emailed my unofficial decision from Mr. Davis. Unfortunately, it was not 'accepted' but 'High Alternate'. I wanted to ask anyone if they or someone you know was able to get into the class at 'high alternate'? Because I heard Mr Davis say at the interview that eventually, everyone from 'high alternate' gets in...Thanks.

Hello, I interviewed on Wed 11/18 and I just got emailed my unofficial decision from Mr. Davis. Unfortunately, it was not 'accepted' but 'High Alternate'. I wanted to ask anyone if they or someone you know was able to get into the class at 'high alternate'? Because I heard Mr Davis say at the interview that eventually, everyone from 'high alternate' gets in...Thanks.

why did you get waitlisted?
do you have lots of pharmacy experience?

Bump. I got the same notification, so I am quite curious as well. Anyone with insight into how the waitlist process works? Will we not officially know our admission status until June after they conduct all the interviews?