Touro (New Mexico for clinical) vs Rutgers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Touro (New Mexico for clinical) vs Rutgers

• Total voters

Dent on the Head

Reaction score
If money wasn't a thing, which school would you choose? Both are out-of-state, and I'll have to rent near campus.
-I was impressed by Touro's facility, but I feel like they're expanding their class size quite rapidly. The facility didn't seem large enough to accommodate this increase in the number of students. Also, moving to New Mexico, even though I'm cool with the location, would that potentially put me at a disadvantage for making new connections and opportunities? I'm thinking about specializing in the future, but I'm not sure what's available in Albuquerque. Plus, reaching out to anyone is tricky since the clinic is still under construction for the next 2 years. (Correct me if I'm overthinking this.)
-Rutgers seemed great as well, but the area seemed less safe during my short visit. They offer many outreach opportunities that interest me, but I don't have many other thoughts about this school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If money wasn't a thing, which school would you choose? Both are out-of-state, and I'll have to rent near campus.
-I was impressed by Touro's facility, but I feel like they're expanding their class size quite rapidly. The facility didn't seem large enough to accommodate this increase in the number of students. Also, moving to New Mexico, even though I'm cool with the location, would that potentially put me at a disadvantage for making new connections and opportunities? I'm thinking about specializing in the future, but I'm not sure what's available in Albuquerque. Plus, reaching out to anyone is tricky since the clinic is still under construction for the next 2 years. (Correct me if I'm overthinking this.)
-Rutgers seemed great as well, but the area seemed less safe during my short visit. I don't have many other thoughts about this school.
cheaper
and more established
plus, touro took facilities that used to have to accommodate 100 students per class and then suddenly added 100 more...

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m bit of an expert about Newark. I grew up in Newark until I graduated from HS in areas where I would not even think about going back to…not even to hang for 1 minute (thank God my parents were able to finally move out of NJ…lol)! But, if you decide to go to Rutgers, like most places, just stay in certain areas of the city and you will be absolutely fine and as Ivy said you can have a lot of fun. I would go to Rutgers for the reasons that macsak mentioned.

Last edited:
I’m bit of an expert about Newark. I grew up in Newark until I graduated from HS in areas where I would not even think about going back to…not even to hang for 1 minute (thank God my parents were able to finally move out of NJ…lol)! But, if you decide to go to Rutgers, like most places, just stay in certain areas of the city and you will be absolutely fine and as Ivy said you can have a lot of fun. I would go to Rutgers for the reasons that macsak mentioned.
I lived right in the middle of Newark, rode my bike around at night, when to parts I was told to avoid. Never had an issue, neither did my roommates. The only issue in Newark at the time was car-break-ins.

I lived right in the middle of Newark, rode my bike around at night, when to parts I was told to avoid. Never had an issue, neither did my roommates. The only issue in Newark at the time was car-break-ins.
Lucky! : ) But, seriously, I’m guessing you are not talking about areas where I lived…unfortunately, that bike would not belong to you anymore. Downtown Newark (e.g., middle of downtown…iron bound section next to the Penn Station) is not what I’m talking about. Obviously, property crime is the most prevalent type of crime in any city…but, let’s not kid ourselves, Newark’s violent crime per rate of population is very high. Newark is similar to any city with a lot of violent crime…in that, crime concentrates within small geographic areas and is static year-after-year. Just go online and look at a density map of violent crime in Newark. More specifically, use variables like, robbery, aggravated assault (that will include shootings), and homicide…UCR data is the most accurate data source collected in the United States which is tracked for decades and allows you to see trends. Obviously, not all crimes are reported and UCR data collects reported crimes…thus, the variables I mentioned are most accurate…homicides being the most and property being the least. Example, theft from auto (that particular crime is often referred to car-break-ins) (not to be confused with theft of auto…the actual car being stolen) would be one of the least accurate because less than 50% of that crime is even reported to the police. Again, Newark can be a cool city just know the city well and you will be more than fine.

Lucky! : ) But, seriously, I’m guessing you are not talking about areas where I lived…unfortunately, that bike would not belong to you anymore. Downtown Newark (e.g., middle of downtown…iron bound section next to the Penn Station) is not what I’m talking about. Obviously, property crime is the most prevalent type of crime in any city…but, let’s not kid ourselves, Newark’s violent crime per rate of population is very high. Newark is similar to any city with a lot of violent crime…in that, crime concentrates within small geographic areas and is static year-after-year. Just go online and look at a density map of violent crime in Newark. More specifically, use variables like, robbery, aggravated assault (that will include shootings), and homicide…UCR data is the most accurate data source collected in the United States which is tracked for decades and allows you to see trends. Obviously, not all crimes are reported and UCR data collects reported crimes…thus, the variables I mentioned are most accurate…homicides being the most and property being the least. Example, theft from auto (that particular crime is often referred to car-break-ins) (not to be confused with theft of auto…the actual car being stolen) would be one of the least accurate because less than 50% of that crime is even reported to the police. Again, Newark can be a cool city just know the city well and you will be more than fine.
I lost 3 bikes there. Not bad for spending 4 years there. Agreed, certain parts were really bad, but there’s no reason to go there as a student.

Reactions: 1 users