Top 25 IM Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satdixon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you consider to be the 25 IM programs?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
There's a yearly IM residency spreadsheet that floats around, which includes rough rankings -- screenshot below through their T40 list

IMG_2210.png

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what you would need for the top 20 or 30 programs?
No clue tbh, I'm just an M0 with too much free time and an interest in IM. Here is a link to the spreadsheet, which I'm sure has enough applicant data for you to get a rough idea for the types of people applying to these programs.

Just mind the tiers here. There are plenty of people who would choose say Northwestern over Hopkins, or Sinai over Michigan, and it'll have zero to no impact on their career trajectory.

As for matching at these programs, you need what you'd need for everything else - clerkship honors, high step 2, AOA, research, ECs/leadership, school name. You don't need all these things, but the more you have the better.

Reactions: 2 users
Just mind the tiers here. There are plenty of people who would choose say Northwestern over Hopkins, or Sinai over Michigan, and it'll have zero to no impact on their career trajectory.

As for matching at these programs, you need what you'd need for everything else - clerkship honors, high step 2, AOA, research, ECs/leadership, school name. You don't need all these things, but the more you have the better.
Do you think AOA is necessary for top 30 or 40 IM programs? I have heard it is necessary to be even looked at if you are coming from a mid tier school for top 10

Last edited:
Do you think AOA is necessary for top 30 or 40 IM programs? I have heard it is necessary to be even looked at if you are coming from a mid tier school for top 10
No. AOA is simply a quick way to summarize a student's clinical clerkship grades for the most part; it is not required, but points to factors that are very important. Performing well on clinical clerkships (particularly medicine) is important, as well as research, getting good letters, etc. They all contribute to your application.

Is there something similar to this for emergency medicine?
Academic reputation of the residency program is less prevalent/important for EM, but there are well-known programs where you are exposed to a greater diversity of cases and training. They tend to be urban - i.e., USC/LAC, UCLA-Harbor, Alameda-Highlands, Denver Health, UMaryland, NYU, Montefiore-Jacobi, etc.

Definitely not necessary, but some programs seem to care about it more than others.

For example, at my low-ranked school, only people with AOA got IIs for BIDMC despite those who got other T20 IIs with high Steps/high grades with no AOA were glossed over. Could it be coincidence? Perhaps but :shrug:

Definitely not necessary, but some programs seem to care about it more than others.

For example, at my low-ranked school, only people with AOA got IIs for BIDMC despite those who got other T20 IIs with high Steps/high grades with no AOA were glossed over. Could it be coincidence? Perhaps but :shrug:
This kind of made me chuckle since a girl in my class this year (mid-tier T50) matched BIDMC without AOA (of course, n=1 but it's kind of a funny coincidence that you specifically mentioned that program).

For reference, at my school (once again, mid-tier T50):
- 4/9 people who matched T20 IM programs were AOA
- 1/4 people who matched 20-50 ranked IM programs were AOA

My analysis: it's certainly not necessary, but it helps. Like others mentioned, it's one of a handful of important factors.

This kind of made me chuckle since a girl in my class this year (mid-tier T50) matched BIDMC without AOA (of course, n=1 but it's kind of a funny coincidence that you specifically mentioned that program).

My analysis: it's certainly not necessary, but it helps. Like others mentioned, it's one of a handful of important factors.
Do you know much connections helps in matching at a program of your choice?

Do you know much connections helps in matching at a program of your choice?

No idea. I didn’t apply IM, but I don’t think connections matter as much in IM where the field is so big. There were a few people who matched T20 back in their home state, so I guess you could call that a connection to the area, but it’s not like anyone did aways, and I doubt people were making phone calls like they do in small surgical sub fields.

The majority of T10 (several MGH) and T20 matches at my school have AOA, and a number of them also have GHHS. Just one line of evidence.

Mid tier makes sense, IDT people realize that T50 is pretty golden, it's no T20 but really it's the "t100+" that suffers from lack of name

At my school in particular, one of our advising Deans mentioned no one has gotten an interview at BIDMC without AOA in the last 4-5 years (according to my friend who was gunning for Boston and asked in his advisory meeting) Ofc, the way AOA works at our school is really towards well rounded people so it's also probably self selective.

Does doing research at a particular program you are interested in help with matching there?