MD Too much for rent and utilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Gamer

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is 1400 dollars too much for rent and utilities including rent, utilities, gas, internet, and parking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I pay a $1000 for everything and literally everyone I know says I'm being ripped off.

Is 1400 dollars too much for rent and utilities including rent, utilities, gas, internet, and parking?

In Manhatten? No
In the normal universe for 1 bedroom? Yes

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All depends on where you live and what type of place you are renting.

Sharing a 2 bedroom apt with a roommate, in the southern or midwestern states? Then yes, you're getting ripped off.

Renting your own place in a trendy urban downtown area? Pretty reasonable to me.

Reactions: 1 users
All depends on where you live and what type of place you are renting.

Sharing a 2 bedroom apt with a roommate, in the southern or midwestern states? Then yes, you're getting ripped off.

Renting your own place in a trendy urban downtown area? Pretty reasonable to me.

How about living by yourself in the south? It seems high to me...

How about living by yourself in the south? It seems high to me...

Way too many variables to say. As was @sb247 's point, I believe. There are expensive places down south (Miami), just like anywhere. Yeah, in general it'd be cheaper than NE or Western US, but no way for us to say definitively. I live in a midwestern city (that isn't Chicago), and near campus and in nice parts of town a single bedroom could easily run $1200-$1400 (without utilities). Other parts of the city could be $750 or less. There is huge polarity even within a single city. Also we don't know how big or how nice the place is. Probably easiest for you to check on NeighborhoodScout

Reactions: 1 user
I pay $150 a month for mortgage and ~$100 for water/utilities. But I also make $650/month on rent. I also live in the middle of nowhere and spend $4/day on gas though, which is somewhat offset by Ubering someone on the way.

$1000/month is too expensive unless you're in San Francisco or New York City.

I pay more than that as a fellow living in one of the trendier neighborhoods in a big city... but that's because I want to. Outside of SF/Manhattan, you should be able to live cheaper than that. Or just find a roommate (very reasonable as a medical student if you're single).

Do you come to sdn for all your problems now?

I paid $3600/month back in the day, and that was just rent, though it came with a private garage spot and storage, and a sweet patio. The cost is relative. Are you in Manhattan or SF? You can't compare that to smaller cities or more rural locations.

--
Il Destriero

I recently found a 2000 sq. ft. house for rent for $900/month. 3 bed, 3 bath, all utilities included. 6 minute drive from the hospital...Looked gorgeous on the inside too. I thought it was too good to be true. It was real though. Unfortunately, owner wanted someone to move in immediately, but my current lease continues until August :( It would have been amazing.

I recently found a 2000 sq. ft. house for rent for $900/month. 3 bed, 3 bath, all utilities included. 6 minute drive from the hospital...Looked gorgeous on the inside too. I thought it was too good to be true. It was real though. Unfortunately, owner wanted someone to move in immediately, but my current lease continues until August :( It would have been amazing.
Big house = lots of cleaning though! So consider it lucky and continue to the search. For me, a 1 or 2 bedroom is perfect.