Too Late for HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfitzpat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying for HPSP, but I know it is kind of late. Just wanted to see if anyone here had success applying around this time. I am most interested in the Air Force, but I know it is also the most competitive. Also, I am a little older (29) and left my job as an attorney to attend dental school. Any advice on my chances would be most appreciated.

Cum. GPA: 3.3
Prereqs (took this last year) GPA: 4.0
DAT: 19/20/21
BSBA in Marketing
JD, graduated Magna Cum Laude

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm 31, and I don't feel that old. Maybe I'm just kidding myself. I don't think that it is too late. You could always apply and see what they say as far as time. Don't count yourself short before you apply.

Sorry, I didn't notice that my message could be read two different ways (not a good thing when you're a lawyer). I'm not real concerned with my age being an issue. What I was meaning to ask was whether I had a shot at getting the scholarship for this fall because the boards have already met and made offers to some people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely it would depend on the branch you were applying to. If I remember right, the AF boards meet the least, while the Navy and Army boards both meet more frequently. Contrary to some other things military, this makes sense because both the Navy and Army have more slots to fill, especially the Army; it is the largest and oldest of all the services. The Navy has to fill slots to support sailors and the marines.

I would just shoot each prosepective recruiter an email and see what their answers are. Nothing wrong with asking questions.

I was told by a recruiter within the last few weeks that Army and Navy have open 4-year slots. AF, not so sure at this stage but it's worth checking. All branches have been having tougher time filling their HPSP slots the last few years... AF may have been the only one that made their quota last time around, possibly Navy also. Thus the authorization to dramatically raise the scholarship stipend levels -- which unfortunately cannot be carried until such time as additional funding is appropriated. (anybody's guess.)

HPSP is potentially a dubious proposition for the med students since it compromises their chances of getting into the specialty of their choice, but a very good opportunity for us DDS types if you are facing out-of-state or private tuition and comfortable with the idea of serving. I will be signing on the dotted line as soon as my name gets read off the scrolls.

I agree with bob. Very soon, I will be signing on the dotted line. It is just too big of a pain in the ass to go to dental school without a steady check, and I am not convinced I will be "work ready" when dental school is over. Also, I actually want to give back to some people (soldiers) who might actually appreciate what I have to offer. Just my two cents.

You have plenty of time for the Army. I started the process in late July/early August last year and got the 4 year scholarship. I got it after school started, the army paid the school the full tuition amount and the school returned my loans for me.

You're not too late for the Navy, either. ... My recruiter mentioned that they were unable to fill all of the available slots last year. I can only assume that the same will be true again for this year. If you contact a recruiter and get the ball rolling now, you should be set. ... It only took me two months from the date of application to recieve a commission.