To enter the match or not for a CA1 position???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a foreign medical graduate and I have done 2 years of general surgery. I want to switch to anesthesia and I have been looking for a CA1 position around the country. I would like to know if I need to go thru the match to help me secure a CA1 position for July 2008 or earlier???

I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help me with some suggestions regarding entering the match or not..... thanks:confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can match for an anesthesia residency starting in 2008 unless its a 4 year program. The 3 year programs will all likely start 2009 so if your looking for an advanced spot your best bet is to go outside the match

Apply through the match right now, and in addition, send a CV and cover letter to every program director. Again, do this NOW. The info is on FREIDA. Many programs have positions they fill outside the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing.

Is there a website or database for available advanced anesthesia spots.

Specifically for CA-1 for 2008 or now.

hey guys...i'm in the middle of my prelim med year with no 2nd year anesthesia yet. i have sent a packet (cover letter, letters transcripts and that stuff) i have heard back from 2 program that said that they will conduct interviews for the outside the match spo with the regular match...does anyone know if that is the norm. also what else can i do. I really want anesthesia....even considering redoin intern year for possible cat postions if advanced is filled.

any thoughts

Can you use LORs from last year's Match?

Can you use LORs from last year's Match?

Whether or not you can, it's inadvisable. Programs want to know about what your current performance is like, and what your current attendings have to say about you.