to anyone,dr cuts jim...any img radio guy!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi ,
i am an img from india ..
doing residency in radiology..this is a three year course...at presently i am in second year...planning to come over post rsidebcy in india..
have score of 240 in step 1...planning to give step 2 in three months time..its very hectic to take time out from deptt duies..working on a research topic in MR..will have few lor's from radio prof"s out here(know it doesnt count much over in US..but better than nothing..),no publication as yet..some presentaions sure at national level conferences...
i checked out the discussion forum in auntminnie ..maan it sure seems tough to get a res in radio thes days..
frankly guys do i stand a chance..???
any feedback is welcome..
ps-hey cuts u can give a first hand info maan..wouyld appreciate a lot
take care

Members don't see this ad.

Well right now I'm pretty much in the same boat as you... doing whatever I can to match Rads, but uncertain of what the future holds. That said, I can offer my opinion...

It seems like you're doing all the right things right now. Your Step 1 score is competitive, but definitely try to score even higher on Step 2 (250+)--it can only help. The fact that you'll have already completed a Rads residency from India may or may not make a difference. I ran into a guy on my LSU-Shreveport interview who's situation was the same as your's... IMG from India, already completed a Rads residency there. He seemed bright, but I couldn't help but notice something about him... the guy never smiled. The whole time there, he was totally serious with a poker face... not at all personable to the PD or the other interviewers. Now I'm no expert, but if you were the PD, would you wanna rank a guy like that high? Is that the type of person you'd wanna work with for 4 years?

I'm sure you've noticed that a lot of Indian FMGs have great scores... bright people no doubt. Yet they still primarily go into IM or FP. IMHO one of the big reasons for that is medicore interviewing/interpersonal skills. So yes, absolutely do try and ace Step 2. After that, apply early and apply to every program out there. Then and most importantly, rock your interviews.

Good luck to you :).

Originally posted by Dr. Cuts
I'm sure you've noticed that a lot of Indian FMGs have great scores... bright people no doubt. Yet they still primarily go into IM or FP. IMHO one of the big reasons for that is medicore interviewing/interpersonal skills. So yes, absolutely do try and ace Step 2. After that, apply early and apply to every program out there. Then and most importantly, rock your interviews.
Good luck to you :).

I've noticed this too. Most of the Indian docs I've met have ridiculous scores (heaps with >260s). Their knowledge of 'classical' medicine is really pretty impressive. However, their communication skills generally leave much to be desired.

I don't know about that being the cause for high numbers in IM though. I think that's because of two main reasons:

1. IM has the reputation of being a more cerebral
2. IM IS EASIER TO GET INTO. I'm sure many of them tried applying to specialties they really wanted at first. But PDs in the competitive residencies dont give a sh** for MD degrees from developing countries, so these guys don't get a single interview call. So the next year,...

Members don't see this ad :)
hi..
i could get free time just today..
firstly thanx dr cuts for responding..yeah i too agree that the most important thing for me right now is to get a competetive score in step 2..
but i do have a difference of opinion with gen med regarding that most indian apllicants have poor interpersonal skills..and also how does he explains that good interpersonal skills aremore important in radiodiagnosis rather than internal medicine ..having worked in radiodiagnosis i can tell u one of the imoprtant perks in rdaiodiagnosis is lack of patient interaction...so how come those who are poorer these skills are preferred in med over radiodiagnosis in US ??..its imoprtant that people dont generalise..just becoz one has met a few indians with poor conversational skills it doesnt mean everybody is so..also yes many IMG's do have radio,derma and opthal as their first choices and still they take up medicine its for many other resaons than interpersonal resaons..its useless to crib about them one has to be in our shoes(IMG shoes) to realize this...
secondly also though medicine is cerebral take it from me...radio is equally so if not more....its one of the most vast subjects u can ever come across..and to be a real competent radiologist the amont of knowledge that has to be in ure fingertips is staggering...

also though PD's and amg's might think that MD degrees out in india are **** ..i must disagree...we read the same standard books ..rumack,haaga,cosgrove,osborne..grainger blah blah...we are doing work on the same machines as u..in out deptt we have a GE logic 700 series with color.power doppler..transrectal transvaginal convex and linera probes..we have a GE ct/E scanner..a .4T Mr machine.mammograpghy...as well as all the conventional stuff what we lack is proper guidance ,more funding and lack of time really to follow each and evry patient thoroughly..our patient load is staggering...i am pretty sure i can catch up with all guys in US who are post residency ..in lesss than 6 months time...i agree u might have abit more advanced machine say a 3 or 4 T MR scanner..but how long do u think it will take for a person to move on to a better more advanced technology...we also do all the routine usg and ct guided intervention..all the cases that are in auntminnie ..we also do solve them and get a healthy percentage correct..in this age of digital information i seriously doubt whthervplaces are reallt that much lagging behined as compared to previous years..what i mean to say is lets not take a biased view just becoz some one is not from the same background as u are...u guys are better off but we are not sh**...
these are just my views...no hard feelings..just wanted to put the record straight...
wishing everyone a very happy new year..

A radiologist of your stature should apply for the several chairmanships available in Academic Radiology in the states.

Originally posted by smrad
[our patient load is staggering...i am pretty sure i can catch up with all guys in US who are post residency ..in lesss than 6 months time... u might have abit more advanced machine... but how long do u think it will take for a person to move on to a better more advanced technology... all the cases that are in auntminnie ..we also do solve them and get a healthy percentage correct... [/B]

The hot air was too much to take!:pity:

tell me two things..
1)whats wrong with speaking out for one's fellow countrymen &
2)whats wrong with defending my MD(radiodiagnosis) residency..i worked my ass off to get it...how would u feel if someone says that the MD u have got is ****??

lets end this thread...this was not my purpose when i had started off this post ..

You are being overly sensitive. No one here said anything derogatory about your training in India. They even mentioned that the Indian applicants have great USLME scores.
Let's END this thread.
:clap: :eek: :clap: