Tips to get most out of MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flapjack3d

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I may be starting an MPH program in epi in the coming semester. (I know it's super late. I should know this stuff by now.) Ultimate goal is med school and research in mental health disparities. I'm kind of going in blind, as I don't really have any good mentors in this field. What do you wish you knew starting out in an MPH program?
This thread basically said "get good at reading journal articles":
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...knew-before-starting-your-mph-program.796731/

Though I already have some experience in STATA and even less in SAS and R, I think probably getting very comfortable with a few stats packages would be the other thing I should accomplish outside of doing well in course work. What else would y'all recommend?

Secondary questions:
Are faculty generally open to giving MPH students research assistant positions, or are these reserved for MS and PhD students?

Also I'm planning to take 15 credits/semester, since I'd only have a year and a half to get this degree done. Does that sound reasonable? Not sure what the norm is for graduate school. Edit: Relevant academic background details: have taken a graduate level sociology stats class, a field-work based epi class (technically 400 level course, but was very basic), and was a bio major.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think this will be a really helpful thread.

Following!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked at a research institute and you should know SAS, R, journal articles. Be able to answer questions like, "If X number of patients quit smoking in this intervention vs. another, how would you calculate the number of years of life gained, health care dollars saved, extrapolate these numbers to the general population given retention rates, etc." Knowing Excel and pivot tables and macros and stuff helps a lot, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, what sorts of things do MPH students do in the summer if they don't need to take classes? Internships? Research? Any tips on where to look for opportunities?

I believe that for all accredited MPH programs (or at least all programs I applied to), a "practical experience" is required as part of the degree requirements. This usually means spending the summer doing an internship/paid job, hands-on research or volunteering in a public health-related field. I know some programs allow you to complete this work during the traditional school year, but most seem to assume that you'll do the required practicum during the summer between years 1 and 2. It also appears that most schools will work closely to place you with organizations they have strong relationships with, if so desired.

That said -- I clearly have not entered an MPH program, let alone completed a required practicum, so if MPH grads or current students have had different experiences, please chime in and correct me!

Also, what sorts of things do MPH students do in the summer if they don't need to take classes? Internships? Research? Any tips on where to look for opportunities?
Hello, I'm an MPH student and currently applying to summer internships and fellowships. I'm taking a practicum course this semester and have to look for my practicum site which I plan to work at this and possibly next semester.

Hey! I may be starting an MPH program in epi in the coming semester. (I know it's super late. I should know this stuff by now.) Ultimate goal is med school and research in mental health disparities. I'm kind of going in blind, as I don't really have any good mentors in this field. What do you wish you knew starting out in an MPH program?
This thread basically said "get good at reading journal articles":
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...knew-before-starting-your-mph-program.796731/

Though I already have some experience in STATA and even less in SAS and R, I think probably getting very comfortable with a few stats packages would be the other thing I should accomplish outside of doing well in course work. What else would y'all recommend?

Secondary questions:
Are faculty generally open to giving MPH students research assistant positions, or are these reserved for MS and PhD students?

Also I'm planning to take 15 credits/semester, since I'd only have a year and a half to get this degree done. Does that sound reasonable? Not sure what the norm is for graduate school. Edit: Relevant academic background details: have taken a graduate level sociology stats class, a field-work based epi class (technically 400 level course, but was very basic), and was a bio major.

15 credits is frightening! lol but if you're determined you can do it. I would not suggest working with that course load but anything is possible :) Most programs are fulltime between 9-12 credits. You usually pay per credit so take your time and look into summer and winter semesters.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm an MPH student and currently applying to summer internships and fellowships. I'm taking a practicum course this semester and have to look for my practicum site which I plan to work at this and possibly next semester.
Where are you finding interships and fellowships to apply to? Through an office in your school?

Where are you finding internships and fellowships to apply to? Through an office in your school?
My school doesn't have a career center so I'm searching on my own. I simply researched online. You can also use usa.gov and try googling: your interest (ex. Epidemiology), public health, student internships or fellowships. http://www.pathwaystoscience.org/index.aspx This is also a helpful site.