Timing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosier1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying in 2007 and I still have about 9 pre-reqs to go on the semester system. Will I even be able to apply in 07? When should I take the OAT's? Help needed

Members don't see this ad.

hoosier1 said:
I plan on applying in 2007 and I still have about 9 pre-reqs to go on the semester system. Will I even be able to apply in 07? When should I take the OAT's? Help needed

9 prereqs seems like a lot. Technically, you can apply now, but schools use your preformance in the prereqs as one of the criteria for admission, so they may not have a whole lot to go on. How many of those 9 classes are you taking right now (ie. summer) or will be taking this fall? As far as the OAT goes, it will test the same subjects covered in your prereq classes, so it wouldn't be wise to take it until you have actually learned the material you will be tested on. What classes do you still have to take?

I will be taking the physics series, some general chemistry, and o-chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
hoosier1 said:
I will be taking the physics series, some general chemistry, and o-chem.

It can be done, I did it! It took a lot of work, plus you have to study for the OAT without finishing all your classes.I had a previos major so I just took the pre-reqs. Here was my time line:

Summer 05:
Chem I/Lab
Writing for Professionals
Calculus

Fall 05:
Chem II/Lab
Physics I/Lab
Anatomy/Lab

I filled out my app and had it in by the earlier submission deadline(Jan.). I waited until my fall grades posted and then sent in my materials without my OAT scores. Some schools will interview you prior to your OAT scores, as long as you have a good GPA. I had my materials in at the beginning of Jan. and was interviewed at the end of January. They waited until my OAT scores came in, I took the OAT in mid-March. They accepted, me after my scores came in. It took a lot of work to prepare for the OAT considering I had to teach myself all of the subjects I hadn't taken. If you are a dedicated person it can be done.

Spring 06:
OChem/Lab
Physics II/Lab
Micro/Lab

Summer 06:
Anatomy/Lab
Statistics

I will finish just in time to be in Pacific's Class of 2010.

pre-O.D. said:
It can be done, I did it! It took a lot of work, plus you have to study for the OAT without finishing all your classes.I had a previos major so I just took the pre-reqs. Here was my time line:

Summer 05:
Chem I/Lab
Writing for Professionals
Calculus

Fall 05:
Chem II/Lab
Physics I/Lab
Anatomy/Lab

I filled out my app and had it in by the earlier submission deadline(Jan.). I waited until my fall grades posted and then sent in my materials without my OAT scores. Some schools will interview you prior to your OAT scores, as long as you have a good GPA. I had my materials in at the beginning of Jan. and was interviewed at the end of January. They waited until my OAT scores came in, I took the OAT in mid-March. They accepted, me after my scores came in. It took a lot of work to prepare for the OAT considering I had to teach myself all of the subjects I hadn't taken. If you are a dedicated person it can be done.

Spring 06:
OChem/Lab
Physics II/Lab
Micro/Lab

Summer 06:
Anatomy/Lab
Statistics

I will finish just in time to be in Pacific's Class of 2010.

Curious- When did you do Bio? What was your GPA & OAT Scores?

mthomas2 said:
Curious- When did you do Bio? What was your GPA & OAT Scores?

Pacific does not require gen bio, it requires microbiology/lab as well as two semesters of anatomy & physiology/lab.

GPA: Cumulative: 3.92, Science: 3.84
OAT: TS: 330, AA: 330 (Which I know would have been much higher if had completed all classes before taking the OAT)

I also need some timing advice...

I am a senior and have taken amost all pre-reqs with the exception of microbiology (which i will be taking this fall '06). So I would be applying for class of 2011.

GPA: 3.2 Do schools look at your science GPA seperately?

I have just now decided to apply to optometry school, so I have not taken or even begun studying for OAT. I suppose the best time to take it is in October. Is that enough time to prepare for the test? Since my GPA is not very high I am guessing that the longer I wait to take the OAT the less chance I have for an interview or exception.

Realistically, what are my chances? Any adivce is greatly appreciated.

I narrowed down the schools to Nova, ICO, and New England.

Thanks!