time taken off between med school and residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyri

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi--I posted this in the general residency issues forum, but I'm not getting any bites. Since I'm most interested in doing Psychiatry, I thought I'd try my post here too...

I'm curious about how many years people have taken off (or know of others who have taken off) between med school and residency.

What did you/they do during the gap in training?

How was it for you/them once they got back on that slippery slope?

I don't know of too many examples, but I do know a woman (IMG) who took 10 (!) years off between school and FP residency to raise her children while her husband completed residency and cardiology fellowship and established his practice. It was hard for her to come back, but she was surviving.

Also have heard of a couple of folks who took time (2-3 years each) after finishing internship. One worked in Alaska for the IHS, one worked for the EIS in Maine. They seemed to have no problem getting back into the swing of things...but then again, they had completed internship and also had been doing relevant work during their time away. One came back to do FP, The other did Psychiatry.

Obviously what one does in the interim and what field one returns to are important factors.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm taking 2 years off. Did nothing but drink and travel :) And loving it.

Doesn't seem to matter. Getting interviewed by all all the top notch programs.

Of course, if they ask, I was expanding my horizons through a wonderful journey of self discovery and travel in preparation for a lifelong career in psychiatry. ;)

FSM

Because of a medical condition, I dropped out in the middle of my internship in Feb of 2003. I then when through a medical board with the military and was medically discharged in Oct of 2003 (about two weeks ago).

I am now taking a lot of time off. I have not practiced medicine since Feb 2003 (eight months). I feel rusty but I have started studying a lot.

Before I dropped out of internship, I did complete all three steps of my boards! So thank god I don't ever ever have to take those stupid things again.

The next set of boards will be for psychiatry but that will be down the line, since I am not even currently in an internship yet and I would have to finish my internship and then head into a psych residency.

I have found a program that is a transitional year internship that is willing to take me as a mid-year entry person. They said they would give me credit for the rotations that i have already done in my military internship.

By the way, I didn't mention this before, but I was with the military. They paid my entire way through school, but I now have to pay them back the $110,000 because I didn't finish my obligation. I think it is for the best. I need my freedom and I just look at it as a medical student loan.

As I mentioned, I do feel rusty but I am currently studying the Swanson Family Practice Review book. I was an FP resident, so I used that book to study for my boards and I am using the book again right now in preparation of going back to internship.

Let me say this: It is so nice to have time now to actually study and learn medicine. When I was an intern, I never felt I had enough time to learn anything. By the time I got home after working 30+ hours, I was too tired to read. I now have so much time to read and so much time to absorb the info that I feel really happy! When I return to internship, I will be more prepared.

Sincerely. Chin (husband of Peiyuen, the account holder).

My wife and mine pictures are here: http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.pl?photo=91190&size=big We were both at one time military physicians. She is now a second year resident in an FP military residency. People salute her and respect her enormously for her military officership and her medical accumen/fund of knowledge. She is a top resident at her program.