Those of you with Stellar PCAT Scores...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueclassring

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you study? HOw long did you prepare for?

Members don't see this ad.

98th percentile - Nov. 2004

Having not seen a lot of the material for at least 5 years, I studied for about a month using the Kaplan review book. There is an on-line supplement for calculus. The supplement only covers integrals and derivatives. On my exam, there were a few questions on vectors and limits so review that info. I took the Kaplan practice exams as well as the one's in the Barrons which helped with getting used to the time restraints. I also borrowed a friend's MCAT materials to review orgo.
However, I feel that I could not have studied at all and done almost as well. A lot of the questions, I felt you simply had to reason through. If you have a solid background in sciences you should do fine.
Good luck!!

I used the Kaplan review book and I also used these audio osmosis CDs that a pre-med friend gave me. The Kaplan book was really helpful and helped me brush up on details I hadn't seen in a while. I also really liked the CDs because I had a 45 minute commute several times per week. The CDs really gave me something productive to do instead of just worry about the PCAT the whole time I was driving. I ended up in the 97th percentile after all that.

Good luck!

99th Oct 2004

I only studied for four hours with the Kaplan book (just the biology portion). I had intended to take the October test as practice since my school only looks at your highest score. I'm not going to bother retaking it.

I would like to say that I agree with the previous poster who said that someone with a good scientific background can reason through most of the questions. That described my PCAT experience perfectly.

Members don't see this ad :)
99th Nov 03 (before the change)

Studied the outlines from Kaplan and Barron and brushed up on things I knew at one time but had forgotten. No study for the vocab stuff because I figured that if I didn't know it by age 38 I wasn't going to pick it up in a couple months. My mistake was in the math, I didn't time myself figuring that knowing how to solve the problems was good enough and ran out of time with about 25 problems left.

98% Oct 04 I studied what I thought might be important from my bio and chem text books. I also used a PCAT study guide I got at Books a Million for my verbal ability section but that was a complete waste of time. I think I would have received the same score if I had not studied at all. The PCAT is so diverse and comprehensive that there is no way you are going to just happen upon enough info, while you are studying, that you didn't know before, to make a difference. I would recommend paying attention in your pre-reqs. That is where I actually learned something.

I used the Kaplan MCAT book to find things to memorize. It helped me do awesome on Biology and Chemistry. I also used the subjects found in the MCAT book to learn what problems I should do in my chemistry book. I also dedicated three weeks to studying and took a week off before the exam.

98th % Jan 03 (before the change)

The Kaplan review helped a lot in biology. I remember taking the test and comming across specific material we had studied in Kaplan, although that was mainly on biology.

In the Chem section, I did all the questions with no math-just answers-first and went back and did the calculation questions. I completed that section, which I never did on any (timed)practice sessions.

PRACTICE THE MATH-A LOT!

97 oct 2003

Used cliffs biology (helped me score 99 in biology)
Used Barron's and Peterson's prep books. (They had chemistry outlines, and I studied all the topics in the outline) This yielded a 95 on the chemistry section.

For math I did practice questions from the review books.

For verbal I did some practice questions.

For reading I did nothing.

I'm using the Kaplan's PCAT book right now. Also memorizing some vocab i don't know for verbal. Will look into pcat professor and other materials like y'all suggested.

69 Comp Jan 2004

Now that was stellar for me :D

Studied the night before. :thumbup:

99th Oct 2004

I took all the practice tests I could find and then focused my studying on my weak points. Then I ended up doing better on my weak points then I did on my previously strong points. :confused:

99th Nov. 2004.
I studied from the Barrons book and the Kaplan book a couple hours a day for 2 weeks. I went through most of the Barrons and only the practice tests and some chem in the Kaplan book. I only found out that the format had changed a couple of days before the test after stumbling upon this forum so I paid $17 to take the online practice exam.