This will be a great place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psionic_blast

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the prePODS have a place to post to ask their questions, What will be the first question asked?

Members don't see this ad.

1st question is:

Isn't it obvious that the pod profession is now GROWING since even on sdn, we now have a NEW forum -- dedicated to pre-pods?

The answer: unequivocally... YES!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

PS - This is how pre-allo, pre-DO, etc. grew. It seems each profession, as it garners more interest and popularity, must add room for more and more posters. Why are there more posters if, in fact, the profession is going nowhere as stated by our resident "expert" Whiskers? :laugh:

Just a total aside. :p ;)

capo said:
1st question is:

I am very excited for the "baby" pods. I really wish there would have been a site like this when I was first starting my search into podiatry beyond what I had been told from the pods that I had worked with. This site will really help everyone out because students that are going through what you are wanting to go through will be here to answer your questions. My questions were answered by pods that had been in practice for 8-10 yrs and school has changed since then. Good luck to all of you in your endeavors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd just like to let all of the pre-pods (once they get here) know that I am the most intelligent poster on the pod forum. I am also good looking and very modest.

A kidding aside, podiatry was the second greatest decision I ever made; just behind marrying my wife ( I have to write this in case she reads this :D ). There are a lot of great people from all of the different pod programs. If you need any advice all of us will do everything we can to help you.

Hey everybody,

Studying podiatry was the greatest desicion that I ever made...I mean I already had the foot fetish, might as well get paid for it.

Dr.Nick said:
Hey everybody,

Studying podiatry was the greatest desicion that I ever made...I mean I already had the foot fetish, might as well get paid for it.

Wow, not only your name but even your posts resemble the Simpson's character.

hey--
i am really tied here. i have had dentistry as my goal for the last 2 years, but for some reason, am drawn toward podiatry. i will probably apply to both schools this year, and see what my options are at that point.
u have a few questions, and being that you are the most intelligent and good looking person on here, i thought i would direct them to you. are the 36 month residencies hard to get? how hard is it to actually get in to podiatry school (stats for this year at your school -v- others if you know them) finally, what can a podiatrist with the 3 year res. make living in a place like seattle?

this was for doctor feelgood, but i'll take dvice from anyone!

Don't let Feelgood fool you into thinking he knows anything besides how to bust people chops. IF you would like to know statistics fof admission go this website http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/stats_applicants.asp this is put out by the AACPM. It shows an average of scores and GPAs. Here at DMU we have a little higher GPA and MCAT score than that average. As for getting into a PM&S 36 I really do not think it is that difficult if your grades during school are high and if you have good LORs. Also, there are some three residency programs that go unfield right now do to low numbers.

lillytwig said:
hey--
i am really tied here. i have had dentistry as my goal for the last 2 years, but for some reason, am drawn toward podiatry. i will probably apply to both schools this year, and see what my options are at that point.
u have a few questions, and being that you are the most intelligent and good looking person on here, i thought i would direct them to you. are the 36 month residencies hard to get? how hard is it to actually get in to podiatry school (stats for this year at your school -v- others if you know them) finally, what can a podiatrist with the 3 year res. make living in a place like seattle?

That is a good question and a hard decision. I think in Seattle, or the northwest, pods earn the higher salaries of the country. I dont have numbers so dont quote me on that. Either profession will provide financial stability given that you are a hard worker and are willing to achieve what you desire. I would first just decide which you would prefer to do for the rest of your life. Dont worry about a 3 yr residency, you will do fine. And if you can get into dental, you wont have problems getting into pod school. Good luck.

lillytwig said:
this was for doctor feelgood, but i'll take advice from anyone!

Some of the best advice I have every recieved is to never trust a guy with a mustache. Dr. Feelgood hasa mustache at times so be leary FYI. I am the best looking on the POD forums. No mustache here. Unfortunately some pOD school are relative easy to get into though some won't make it all the way through. Approxiamately half of the residency slots are 3 year surgical residencies. In a recent survey ~94% of students want three year surgical residencies, but don't dismay the top school DMU has been placing 100% in 3 year residency positions. I don't know scholl placement, but itmost likely is also high. Are you trying to get in this year? Seattle has one of the top residency programs and the doctors they send out make bank. I personally know one a recent grad that makes sweet money.

lillytwig said:
hey--

I don't want to beat a dead horse but everything they have said is accurate. My only comment is that Seattle is a great place to practice if that is where you'd like to end up and you live in the area now, visit Swedish medical. It is one of the top residencies in the podiatric field. That being said, there are a lot of podiatrist in the Seattle area. Most areas w/ residencies and/or pod schools are fulled w/ doctors. A lot pods get used to an area after the graduate and stay there. I think you will still make a good living but another area in the NW may be more profitable. Either way I bet you make in the area of 100 to 150K.

dental is the sme way. most places with a dental school are overly saturated with dentists. i am in las vegas, and noticed something very interesting the other day in the paper. every time a lawyer ad appeared, there was an add for a entist right next to it! i thought that to be an odd pairing! i kind of see podiatry being in the same situation as dental was 5-15 years ago. i am at the bottom end of avereage for dental school addmissions. (3.3 science, etc.) if i were to go into podiatry, i would definately want to complete the 3 year residency. this being the case, what are good schools to which i should apply? i think i will apply to both dental nd pod this year and just see what happens. i have heard that florida isn't really worth attending if you can go somewhere else. i think i just want to have the best shot at getting into a 3 year residency. where would you all recommend applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
lillytwig said:
dental is the sme way. most places with a dental school are overly saturated with dentists. i am in las vegas, and noticed something very interesting the other day in the paper. every time a lawyer ad appeared, there was an add for a entist right next to it! i thought that to be an odd pairing! i kind of see podiatry being in the same situation as dental was 5-15 years ago. i am at the bottom end of avereage for dental school addmissions. (3.3 science, etc.) if i were to go into podiatry, i would definately want to complete the 3 year residency. this being the case, what are good schools to which i should apply? i think i will apply to both dental nd pod this year and just see what happens. i have heard that florida isn't really worth attending if you can go somewhere else. i think i just want to have the best shot at getting into a 3 year residency. where would you all recommend applying?

Most of us are from DMU, so the biased response will be obvious. If I were you, I would check out DMU, Arizona and Scholl as my top 3 choices and see which you like the best (given that you get inteview invites to all three). See who impressed you the most and where you would be most comfortable spending the next 4 years of your life. Let us know what happens.

I like DMU, Scholl, Temple, AZPOD in that order. I think that the future is very very bright at AZPOD. DMU and AZPOD are the only schools that take all of their basic science classes w/ a DO program. Scholl and Temple have been around forever and have strong ties to residencies through out the nation.

If you choose any of these programs, work hard, you'll get a 36 PM&S.

lillytwig said:
i am in las vegas, and noticed something very interesting the other day in the paper. every time a lawyer ad appeared, there was an add for a entist right next to it!

That's funny. I just spent all week in Las Vegas and the only ads I remember were, "Girls direct to your door! Twenty minute guarantee!"

Do you realize that that is faster than pizza delivery? :laugh:

scpod said:
That's funny. I just spent all week in Las Vegas and the only ads I remember were, "Girls direct to your door! Twenty minute guarantee!"

Yes, but imagine HOW MUCH pizza you could eat for the price of one girl? :laugh:

scpod said:

Did you go to the ACFAS meeting? If so, how was it?

scpod said:
That's funny. I just spent all week in Las Vegas :laugh:

Just gambling and enjoying a vacation or for work? Bet the sun was nice!

IlizaRob said:
I guess that shows you how up-to-date I am with that stuff. I stand corrected.

Rob would you not expect the president of hte CPMS SCACFAS to know about the ACFAS meeting.

psionic_blast said:
Just gambling and enjoying a vacation or for work? Bet the sun was nice!

It was all recreational. Actually, it was a little chilly a couple of days. In fact, it was colder when I left Vegas than 3 /12 hours later when I flew into Atlanta. There was some kind of cold front brewing. Still, it was rather wonderful-- except for the deep pain in my wallet ;)

Dr_Feelgood said:
Rob would you not expect the president of hte CPMS SCACFAS to know about the ACFAS meeting.

I know, I should have come to the master first. I just like saying "SCACFAS". Its got quite the ring to it. Not nearly as good as "ACFAOM". Maybe I should officially change it to "SCACFAOM". That sounds a little better.

IlizaRob said:
I know, I should have come to the master first. I just like saying "SCACFAS". Its got quite the ring to it. Not nearly as good as "ACFAOM". Maybe I should officially change it to "SCACFAOM". That sounds a little better.

I think that anytime you say scac it is fun. It is so close to scat.

psionic_blast said:
Now that the prePODS have a place to post to ask their questions, What will be the first question asked?

Can you apply with your DAT scores instead of your MCAT score. I heard nyu accepts your DAT scores without looking at your PAT section for feet-school. I'm looking at both dentistry and podiatry, I will be taking the DAT soon. Most people take the MCAT? I'm currently a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill with a 3.6 GPA....what do I need to make on the standardize test to get into a podiatry school?

xxxTheDonxxx said:
Can you apply with your DAT scores instead of your MCAT score. I heard nyu accepts your DAT scores without looking at your PAT section for feet-school. I'm looking at both dentistry and podiatry, I will be taking the DAT soon. Most people take the MCAT? I'm currently a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill with a 3.6 GPA....what do I need to make on the standardize test to get into a podiatry school?

I believe that all the school but one or two will take the DAT score. DMU will take the DAT. That I know, but most school prefer to have MCAT scores. What schools do you plan on sending your application? Mid to low 20's will probably get you in to the best schools DMU, Scholl, AZPOD. These would be the first ones that I would check out. Just study and do your best. Good luck and go get'em.

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd take a minute to verbally smile at being accepted recently to AZPOD. It is the only school I applied to. I am a competitive applicant and wanted the most competitive school so my peers would be among the most academically qualified.

This year has been exciting for AZPOD. AZPOD only accepts 33 students in total per year. Only a few slots are left for the 2010 class. They have been relatively tight on admissions due to the high applicant ratio. Currently, they estimate the average matriculating student's cGPA to be between 3.5 and 3.6 and several of the MCAT scores have been over 30 bringing the average MCAT scores to the 26 - 28 land. This is how it should be (as competitive as almost all DO schools and many MD programs). I am very excited to interact with students who have solid academic records.

I know the DMU and Scholl programs are excellent but AZPOD is the school taking it to the next level (we'll see how the 1st graduating class does on boards this summer). Overall, this will raise standards across the nation and set the bar for others to follow (which I think is great)! There has never been a more exciting time to become a podiatrist!!! As the magic 8 ball would say, "Outlook good!"

Awesome, congrats! I am headed there next year too and I am also very excited! I have heard from many DPMs that it is a great school and very much the future for podiatry!

AZPOD Rocks said:
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd take a minute to verbally smile at being accepted recently to AZPOD. It is the only school I applied to. I am a competitive applicant and wanted the most competitive school so my peers would be among the most academically qualified.

This year has been exciting for AZPOD. AZPOD only accepts 33 students in total per year. Only a few slots are left for the 2010 class. They have been relatively tight on admissions due to the high applicant ratio. Currently, they estimate the average matriculating student's cGPA to be between 3.5 and 3.6 and several of the MCAT scores have been over 30 bringing the average MCAT scores to the 26 - 28 land. This is how it should be (as competitive as almost all DO schools and many MD programs). I am very excited to interact with students who have solid academic records.

I know the DMU and Scholl programs are excellent but AZPOD is the school taking it to the next level (we'll see how the 1st graduating class does on boards this summer). Overall, this will raise standards across the nation and set the bar for others to follow (which I think is great)! There has never been a more exciting time to become a podiatrist!!! As the magic 8 ball would say, "Outlook good!"

could you explain matching in regards to residency programs and how this works? i am trying to understand all of the mechanisms involved with the start and finish of podiatric schooling. thanks! :laugh:

lillytwig said:
could you explain matching in regards to residency programs and how this works? i am trying to understand all of the mechanisms involved with the start and finish of podiatric schooling. thanks! :laugh:

The matching is fairly simple. It starts in your 4th year; your clerkships (rotations) are like mini-try outs. Then you fill out a CASPR which is a centralized application for all residencies. The first 3 weekends of December are CRIPs:oops:ne east coast, one midwest, one west coast. Programs in these regions all go to one location for interviews. Once all of the interviews are done, you fill out your match sheet and rank the residencies. Such as

Bill Guy, NYCPM Class of 2006
1) blah blah hospital
2) boo boo hospital
3) Northwest Podiatric Surgerical Residency

Then the programs rank you
blah blah hospital

1) Amanda Huginkiss, CPMS
2) Bill Guy, NYCPM
3) Hung Solo, CPMS

If you are number 1 of their list and they are number of your list then it is a perfect match. But if you are 2 on their list and someone else in number 1, that person gets first go. If they choose somewhere else then it falls to the 2nd person and so on and so on.

For more information go to www.aacpm.org and click on the CASPR/CRIP link.

that is funny! so, dentists are not only among the dregs of PI attorneys, but call girls as well. that should be evidence enough to make an informed decision!
scpod said:

psionic_blast said:
Mid to low 20's will probably get you in to the best schools DMU, Scholl, AZPOD. These would be the first ones that I would check out. Just study and do your best. Good luck and go get'em.

Mid to low 20s?! Those are fairly high scores. Is that correct?

ItsGavinC said:

A 24 (8 across the board) is in the 40-54% range; about average. A 24 will get you into osteopathic schools and maybe some allopathic schools if you know someone or enjoy the good side of Title IX (females and minorities).

Dr_Feelgood said:
A 24 (8 across the board) is in the 40-54% range; about average. A 24 will get you into osteopathic schools and maybe some allopathic schools if you know someone or enjoy the good side of Title IX (females and minorities).
24 is min. to get in. If you have less than this you WILL have trouble, even if you get through school, possibly passing your boards too.

capo said:
24 is min. to get in. If you have less than this you WILL have trouble, even if you get through school, possibly passing your boards too.

I'm not disagreeing that 24 is the minimum. I do see it as average, but I don't know if that you MCAT score is a determination of your grades and board scores. I do believe that it is a predictor though and the best thing that medical schools have to get an idea of your qualifications and commitment to medicine.

ItsGavinC said:
i think psionic is refering to MCAT scores, not DAT scores. Everything else being equal, mid to low 20's on the DAT will get you in to many schools. Mid to low 20's on the MCAT however will not. It is a different grading system. :D