Thinking about the No Test Score Option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOliv010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need Advice Guys,

Not applying to the next year, and I am taking the PCAT in January. I honestly feel I am not prepared, and I have not even completed or started organic chemisty or calculus. I planning to take the test in June 1, so do you think I should just go for the no test score option? Will I still be able to take the test, with the no test score option. My main purpose to take in January is to get a feel for the test.

Thanks for any info or advice

Members don't see this ad.

JOliv010 said:
Need Advice Guys,

Not applying to the next year, and I am taking the PCAT in January. I honestly feel I am not prepared, and I have not even completed or started organic chemisty or calculus. I planning to take the test in June 1, so do you think I should just go for the no test score option? Will I still be able to take the test, with the no test score option. My main purpose to take in January is to get a feel for the test.

After realizing I couldn't get a refund this late in the game, I've decided to mark the no test score box. Though, I'm definitely going to take the test to see what I need to study. It's somewhat of a lame way to spend an entire Saturday but oh well.

If you don't feel confident than go ahead and wait until June. :thumbup:

ethyl said:
After realizing I couldn't get a refund this late in the game, I've decided to mark the no test score box. Though, I'm definitely going to take the test to see what I need to study. It's somewhat of a lame way to spend an entire Saturday but oh well.

If you don't feel confident than go ahead and wait until June. :thumbup:

I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm going to try and do my best and have it scored, but it's nice to know that if I need to, I can check that no score box and try again later.

ugh. 6 days and counting.

Chris

JOliv010 said:
Need Advice Guys,

I'm not sure if they changed the PCATs this year but when I took them last year, there was almost no organic chemistry and no calculus at all. I would suggest studying from the Kaplan books for the June test. As for the January test, if I was you I would go ahead and take the test. If (hopefully not) you do do bad on it, then you can always improve drastically on the June test. And the improvement will look a lot better on your applications. But definitely take the test this month, it'll help you prepare better for the June test. If you know for sure that you won't do well on the test this month, only then I would suggest choosing the no test score option. Not sure but I think you can choose to cancel your scores on the day of the test, however, you might never know how you actually did on them. I hope this helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
oops...I just found out that the January 2004 test did have a calculus section but I don't think the October 2003 test had any calculus in it. So it all depends on what the PCAT administration decides on for each test. As far as I can remember the Bio section definitely had some cardio stuff (path the blood takes in the heart, etc). You'll all do fine, it's not that bad. Just do your best and don't stress out. Goodluck!!! :thumbup: :clap:

I took a no score the first time I took the PCAT. I didn't feel I was ready; I put off studying until the night before and had trouble doing math without a calculator. :( The day of the exam I realized that I marked down for two schools (the ones I wanted to apply to) to receive my scores directly, which then would make that score the only one they looked at even if I took the PCAT again. The only way to bypass that was to take the no score.

I took the test anyway, and imagine I did horribly. It was a good experience though, and a good wake up call to study more for the next PCAT.

topaz23rd said:
oops...I just found out that the January 2004 test did have a calculus section

I took the Jan 2004 test, and the calc section was the 6th and "extra" part of the test. It didn't count.

topaz23rd said:
but I don't think the October 2003 test had any calculus in it. So it all depends on what the PCAT administration decides on for each test.

At first I read this as October 2004... You are right about the October 2003 test not having calculus on it. I took that test. However, there are new changes to the PCAT, and there are a bazillion PCAT threads on this forum that discuss the changes and how to prepare for them.

topaz23rd said:
As for the January test, if I was you I would go ahead and take the test. If (hopefully not) you do do bad on it, then you can always improve drastically on the June test.
What state do they offer a June PCAT? I looked up when they offer it in Illinois and it's only January, October, and November.

Chris

freshbeatschris said:
What state do they offer a June PCAT? I looked up when they offer it in Illinois and it's only January, October, and November.

Chris

I'm not sure where (or if) they offer the June 1 PCAT but you may want to find out from JOliv010.
:confused:

JOliv010 said:
Need Advice Guys,

When I took the PCAT in October, I was in exactly the same boat. I was going to do the no score option b/c I was unprepared, but I wanted to see the test. After talking to the school I am applying to, they said that they only count the highest composite score, so I had it scored anyway.....Maybe your chosen school has the same policy? btw, I got a 99 so I'm not taking it again. Maybe you'll get a similar result. :luck:

Do they let you do a "no score" at the end of the exam? or do you have to check it before you start?

I mean, if its at the end. You can always do the exam, decide on how you think you did (you would probably have a rough idea) and then choose at the end.

OR

If you're doing the test, and you find out you don't like the way things are going... You can always get up and leave the exam room towards the end of the exam. They wont count it... it would be as if you never came in the first place i think... I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that. :thumbup:

Avicenna04 said:
Do they let you do a "no score" at the end of the exam? or do you have to check it before you start?

It is just a bubble you fill out on the bubble sheet, so you can wait until you are done to fill it in. But there is no going back. They won't score it at all, they won't tell you how you did, they won't tell your schools how you did.