Employment & Professional Networking Thinking about summer jobs, looking for experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatcar

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm applying next cycle, so next fall. I'm starting to think about my summer plans and I'm trying to think of a job (must be paid) where I could gain experience, even if it isn't directly OT, something that would look good and help with my applications.

Any suggestions of what you have done and where you've learned a lot? I was thinking about being a Scribe at a local hospital. I'm not sure I want to do summer camps because they start so late and I need something starting at the end of May. I'm in Central NY.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What I did last summer was work at a special needs summer camp. But like you said, it doesn't start until later. So until then I volunteered like 15 hours a week at a place for adults with disabilities and was able to balance that nicely with my retail job

Something you could look into at your local hospital is a therapy tech/therapy aide job. I am currently working as a therapy aide and mainly help the physical therapists with bed transfers and mobility but also get to assist occupational therapists when needed. My hospital also allows me to observe the OTs on my days off to gain observation hours and get contacts!

Reactions: 1 user