Things you wish you knew before cardiology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringcardiologa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be starting fellowship in July and very excited about it!

What are some things you wish you knew before starting fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Numbers of procedures and studies performed and read matter. Find a convenient way you can quickly log on the go. Otherwise backlogging is a complete pain in the rear

Reactions: 1 users

Do the work, put your ego down, take calculated risk, and know your limitations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Any skill set is 1000x easier to obtain during fellowship than it is after. Whatever level II you can get the better
2. Being a good fellow is no different than a good resident.
3. That I still had time to quit and switch to GI.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

That you will be expected by other services to be the expert consultant despite having just graduated residency and having near zero technical skills in your current field.

• Haha
I think you get out of fellowship what you put in. My program is front loaded first year so was difficult to find time to read outside of the hospital. I think really investing in understanding echo is critical to being a competent cardiologist. The Mayo videos are an excellent resource if you can get your hands on them. When you start fellowship make a point of reviewing all primary data yourself. It can mean longer days taking time to look at echo images or cath films yourself but repetition is key and as your skills develop you will get better and faster.

Reactions: 2 users
Be NICE, even when you are stressed. Everyone talks. Don't fall victim to the "blocking" culture that pervades academic training. If someone calls you with an asinine consult - I mean real boneheaded, idiotic, subhuman - you ask the question "how can I help you," write a note, and move on. It's hardest to do this when you are busy. The people around you are the ones you will depend on for consults, referrals, etc. when you enter practice. If you burn bridges, word spreads and you will find yourself stranded on an island of your own hubris.

1. Any skill set is 1000x easier to obtain during fellowship than it is after. Whatever level II you can get the better

Could you please elaborate on point 3? o_O
Given the opportunity.. you would recommend pursuing GI over Cardio?

Could you please elaborate on point 3? o_O
Given the opportunity.. you would recommend pursuing GI over Cardio?
Yes. I would never do any hospital-based (or hospital dependent) specialty especially one with heavy call burden if I had the choice to do it again.

Mainly said GI as an alternative to someone already doing IM

General cardiology has a great lifestyle and plenty of opportunity in the real world.

Be NICE, even when you are stressed. Everyone talks. Don't fall victim to the "blocking" culture that pervades academic training. If someone calls you with an asinine consult - I mean real boneheaded, idiotic, subhuman - you ask the question "how can I help you," write a note, and move on. It's hardest to do this when you are busy. The people around you are the ones you will depend on for consults, referrals, etc. when you enter practice. If you burn bridges, word spreads and you will find yourself stranded on an island of your own hubris.

I disagree with this. A good amount of consults are within the realm of general medicine, and it’s not the job of a cardiologist to manage. A lot of us go into cards to get away from medicine, we shouldn’t have to spend our entire lives doing it.

I’m not saying you have to be rude about it, but tell them to evaluate things further then call back etc

I disagree with this. A good amount of consults are within the realm of general medicine, and it’s not the job of a cardiologist to manage. A lot of us go into cards to get away from medicine, we shouldn’t have to spend our entire lives doing it.

I’m not saying you have to be rude about it, but tell them to evaluate things further then call back etc

Really depends on the place. My place in residency was typical academic culture, felt like cards blocked every consult. At my new place, we basically never block except when they are covid.

One consultant tells the referring physician to figure it out themselves. Another actually helps them. Who do you think the referring calls next time they need help?

Cardiology is a PART of medicine, we aren't above it in some way.

One consultant tells the referring physician to figure it out themselves. Another actually helps them. Who do you think the referring calls next time they need help?

As an attending you can’t block anything, as a fellow you can and that’s what I will do. I’m there to learn cardiology, not repeat my IM training.

Depends if I’m hospital-employed vs private practice or incentive driven.

Developing strong referral patterns certainly doesn’t benefit many of us.

Cardiology can be a lot of outpatient, getting connected with a good clinic attending can be very helpful.

Cards doesn't have to be, and isn't necessarily all that hospital dependent. I agree, be nice to everyone, you never know how or when it will help you.

Bump. Any people with more thoughts about this? I guess I'm getting a bit anxious as fellowship starts in a few months. 😅
Thinking about meeting up with one of my cardiology mentors who I trust about what they recommend prior to starting fellowship.

Advice from someone in a separate fellowship but this is the best advice imo and applies to any IM fellowship.

Study now for your IM boards. Study hard and take your boards at the first available test date. The sooner you get that out of the way and can focus 100% on Cardiology the better off you will be.

This question is a lot like the typical MS4 who asks what to study before residency. You’re about to be drowning in fellowship and drinking from the firehose and not much can prepare you for it.

Last edited: