Things to be doing as an OMS-1 for max competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cephhas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am halfway through my first year of med school at what I think would be called one of the better DO schools (DMU, KCU, PCOM level). I have always wanted to go into EM and still do but it is hard to ignore the negativity surrounding it so I am trying to be as competitive as possible in case I decide to pursue something else. As of now the only thing I am semi interested in outside of EM is anesthesia. That being said can people give me insight regarding things I should be thinking about or doing now so that I could potentially match in anesthesia in the upper midwest down the line?

I will put what I have going on below, let me know what other things I need to be doing or cognizant of, thanks!

Class rank: We are P/F but I generally score anywhere from median-top quartile. I likely won't honor but should be in top half of class?

Research: Am involved in one project that will be presented at a symposium next year and could potentially be published. Debating if I need to be getting more involved as now/this summer would be the best time but I hear neither EM/anesthesia require much research?

Volunteering/ECs: Will be on board of EM club but probably not anesthesia club. Volunteer monthly at homeless shelters and am starting a few more volunteering opportunities that will get me a good amount of hours throughout med school.

Let me know what I should be thinking about/doing now or down the line! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

EM? Maintain your pulse going for the next 3 years

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
EM? Maintain your pulse going for the next 3 years
even for some of the more competitive midwest EM residencies? For instant HCMC, Uchicago, Umich, cincy? Also, yes that is what I hear which is why I also added how to be competitive for anesthesia...

Members don't see this ad :)
even for some of the more competitive midwest EM residencies? For instant HCMC, Uchicago, Umich, cincy? Also, yes that is what I hear which is why I also added how to be competitive for anesthesia...
Only an M1 thinks those places matter. By the time you're an M4, you'll be over it and know better

Reactions: 2 users
Only an M1 thinks those places matter. By the time you're an M4, you'll be over it and know better
Thanks for being condescending. I care about those places less due to competitiveness and more about location. They are closer to home. I ask because you say "a pulse and you'll get in" but I would imagine that isn't true in those residencies. Regardless of your disdain for EM or whether you believe it's a dead specialty try and be more helpful. Thanks though.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for being condescending. I care about those places less due to competitiveness and more about location. They are closer to home. I ask because you say "a pulse and you'll get in" but I would imagine that isn't true in those residencies. Regardless of your disdain for EM or whether you believe it's a dead specialty try and be more helpful. Thanks though.
Michigan, Cincinnati, and Chicago are all in the same place? But no other programs exist there?

Don't confuse hindsight with trying to be condescending. I have no reason to hurt you

Reactions: 4 users
I am an OMS4 applying EM and I interviewed at several of the programs you’re interested in. Being competitive for EM really comes down to top notch SLOE’s and a solid to above average step 2 score. Everything else is honestly not as important. Maybe having one pub/presentation on your app helps with more academic programs but I only got one question about my research on the interview trail. Do EC’s you’re passionate about, find a niche in EM to explore and don’t stress out about this stuff yet, it’s way too early! Good luck my friend!