The Wonderful World of Ketamine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esclavo

from frying pan into fire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone out there using Ketamine on routine sedations (3rds). What is your average dosage and opinion of the drug? (I don't want any of toof's testimonials using ketamine on his dates :D ) We are finally getting it in our clinic and I am so pumped. Are you using it with propofol ("ketafol") or with the regular sublimaze, midazolam? Just curious, my hands are itching to push the plunger!

Members don't see this ad.

esclavo said:
Is anyone out there using Ketamine on routine sedations (3rds). What is your average dosage and opinion of the drug? (I don't want any of toof's testimonials using ketamine on his dates :D ) We are finally getting it in our clinic and I am so pumped. Are you using it with propofol ("ketafol") or with the regular sublimaze, midazolam? Just curious, my hands are itching to push the plunger!

Knocks 'em out hard...two minutes or so is all it takes. Of course, that's with the lab rats I use. They keep it locked up here and won't let it out around patients.

Why do you want to use ketamine instead of propofol. Ketamine takes longer to come out of and causes more side effects. Propofol is nice in that it only takes a couple of minutes to wake up, has some nice analgesic effects at lower doses so you don't have to use as much fentanyl and also has a bit of an amnesiac effect so you don't have to use as much versed. Unless they have contraindications to propofol (egg allergies) us it or just stick with fent and versed.

Members don't see this ad :)
esclavo said:
I don't want any of toof's testimonials using ketamine on his dates :D
Hey now! For the record....she said she was 18...and she was willing! But sometimes you just need that little pharmaceutical nudge to seal the deal. "Special K" ain't just a cereal you know.

If only the ketamine dart was really a dart.... how fun would it be to hunt down those little boogers when they are running around the Emergency Department.... bag one in mid-air as he's jumping over a gurny... perhaps miss and nail the ***** doctor who woke u up at 3am to ask you about mandibular tori... :smuggrin:

esclavo said:
I've used it in combination with versed and fentanyl. We don't use much propofol here. I use about 20-30mg to start, then titrate.

tx oms said:
I've used it in combination with versed and fentanyl. We don't use much propofol here. I use about 20-30mg to start, then titrate.

Judas Priest... I just did an anesthetic on a FMTE for a younger collegue...27 years old ASAII (cause he smoked) 32 teeth bombed out teeth, good bone. 10 of versed, 100 fentanyl, and...hold on to your hat...1000mg of propofol! I should have brought an LMA down from the OR hooked him up to the sevo and saved my poor hands from chinning that !#@$. Get this, I did it without a pump. Afterwards, I took a picture of myself in front of 10 syringes and 5 vials. Lined up all pretty. It reminds me of another picture I have of myself infront of 10 ducks on my tailgate-shotgun in hand. I think I felt more proud of the anesthetic though. Nothing like an open air general anesthetic....

esclavo said:
Judas Priest... I just did an anesthetic on a FMTE for a younger collegue...27 years old ASAII (cause he smoked) 32 teeth bombed out teeth, good bone. 10 of versed, 100 fentanyl, and...hold on to your hat...1000mg of propofol! I should have brought an LMA down from the OR hooked him up to the sevo and saved my poor hands from chinning that !#@$. Get this, I did it without a pump. Afterwards, I took a picture of myself in front of 10 syringes and 5 vials. Lined up all pretty. It reminds me of another picture I have of myself infront of 10 ducks on my tailgate-shotgun in hand. I think I felt more proud of the anesthetic though. Nothing like an open air general anesthetic....

Ahhh yes.... the Milk of Amnesia. Got lots of vitamin "P"