The SDN Effect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well it’s not just unique to Kent and Temple. At my school which I will not name, there is at least 1 student right now who didn’t take Part 1 when the rest of the class did last year and is still in school about to advance to 4th year. I think it’s very unfair because at this point you don’t even know if this person is competent in the first 2 years of basic sciences but yet you are continuing to let them work in the clinic. I’m sure this wouldn’t be allowed to happen in a MD/DO program. It’s not the same as graduating them without passing but it’s still not cool. You must pass part 1 I think now at all the schools to graduate and for sure to be able to take part 2. Just seems like a bad situation to be in. I’m not sure how you would explain that to residency programs when they notice something is off about when you took the exam. That’s just my 2 cents. Maybe they are just being strung along for tuition dollars. You can’t put anything past podiatry schools at this point.
The solution is straightforward: schools should create new questions for each exam. This approach could save people hundreds of thousands of dollars in the long run and raise podiatric standards. Given that we'll be dealing with actual human lives, and considering that the APMLE is a basic competency exam that's less challenging than the USMLE, struggling to pass after many years simply suggests a failure to learn the material properly in the first place. There are schools sitting below 70% first time pass rate and it’s scary to imagine what’s going on at those institutions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The solution is straightforward: schools should create new questions for each exam. This approach could save people hundreds of thousands of dollars in the long run and raise podiatric standards. Given that we'll be dealing with actual human lives, and considering that the APMLE is a basic competency exam that's less challenging than the USMLE, struggling to pass after many years simply suggests a failure to learn the material properly in the first place. There are schools sitting below 70% first time pass rate and it’s scary to imagine what’s going on at those institutions.
I do think it goes hand in hand with the applicant pool. Podiatry accepts people who should not be doctors, surprised when their pass rates drop.

The solution is for cpme to actually have a backbone and put schools on probation. After residency I will join cpme and start that. But by then it’ll be too late - 25 schools with 8 more in the works.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is tale as old a time... happens at nearly all pod schools.
5 year program, 6 year program, etc.
WUCPM will kick you out if you don't pass classes or can't pass Part 1. Students aren't allowed to continue on to year 3 if they can't pass Part 1.

The one school that is notorious for it is Ohio. 5th, 6th year students. Graduates who have taken part 2 five times without passing (and I have confirmed that).

Reactions: 1 users
Well it’s not just unique to Kent and Temple. At my school which I will not name, there is at least 1 student right now who didn’t take Part 1 when the rest of the class did last year and is still in school about to advance to 4th year. I think it’s very unfair because at this point you don’t even know if this person is competent in the first 2 years of basic sciences but yet you are continuing to let them work in the clinic. I’m sure this wouldn’t be allowed to happen in a MD/DO program. It’s not the same as graduating them without passing but it’s still not cool. You must pass part 1 I think now at all the schools to graduate and for sure to be able to take part 2. Just seems like a bad situation to be in. I’m not sure how you would explain that to residency programs when they notice something is off about when you took the exam. That’s just my 2 cents. Maybe they are just being strung along for tuition dollars. You can’t put anything past podiatry schools at this point.
My school definitely does not allow this. They will kick you out if you fail 3 times and never let you back in.

I don't think you're right about MD/DO not advancing without the usmle. There are a lot of people that get the degree but never license or practice. They use it to gain research opportunities or law positions

I don't think you're right about MD/DO not advancing without the usmle. There are a lot of people that get the degree but never license or practice. They use it to gain research opportunities or law positions
I’m a DO. We got multiple chances to pass boards (3-4 tries), but we weren’t allowed to graduate without clearing them. Yes our schools are motivated to get you through, but not passing boards is non-negotiable.

I’m a DO. We got multiple chances to pass boards (3-4 tries), but we weren’t allowed to graduate without clearing them. Yes our schools are motivated to get you through, but not passing boards is non-negotiable.
Interesting. So even an MD PhD has to pass USMLE?

Interesting. So even an MD PhD has to pass USMLE?
Yes. A couple of my co-residents are MD PhDs and they took/passed the same boards as me (I did both MD/DO).

I just got my state license and if I had failed my boards certain # of times, I wouldn’t have been able to practice here. So even at state level, you need to clear boards. It makes sense that the schools enforce it.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. A couple of my co-residents are MD PhDs and they took/passed the same boards as me (I did both MD/DO).

I just got my state license and if I had failed my boards certain # of times, I wouldn’t have been able to practice here. So even at state level, you need to clear boards. It makes sense that the schools enforce it.
Just curious, were you once a podiatry student turned DO student?

Just curious, were you once a podiatry student turned DO student?
Looked into it hard before going the DO route. Now I'm just here for the memes.

Maybe save a few uninformed new posters when they come here and podiatry deans magically appear for a day.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
That was also when Kent (OCPM) and Temple would both graduate students who hadn’t passed part I and part II.

The way I read CPME 120 standards, schools must demonstrate at least a 75% pass rates on APMLE Part I (cumulative, and averaged over 3 years).

If someone is aware of students graduating without passing Part I, you should use the CPME 925 form and make a complaint.