The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the yearly discussion thread we call "The Republic of Texas."

The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break a Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

istockphoto-471663495-612x612.jpg

cVoQXac-2-2-2.jpg

I chose this quote and photo to remind you to jump in whole-heartedly to whatever you decide to do,
don't sit on the rail and let life pass you by!.

This is a general talk and support thread for Texas school applicants, where we can:
check in with each other
share our news
see where various schools are with their interview process
and just post those things we don't want to put on a school-specific thread.

Later on I'll post admissions news, Wait List updates and such.

I'll answer questions here if I know the answers, but keep the technical questions about TMDSAS process over on the thread we have for that:

*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2022-2023 *~*~*~*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I'll be sharing things with you as I hear them and as our cycle unfolds.
The exciting news this month is that a few interview invitations are going out!
Some schools don't start inviting until late August, so "no news" is not bad news, and there are months of invitations to come.

I'll come back to this thread to edit and add dates of the invites that I hear about, and update as more schools take action.

Interview Invitations:

Texas Tech El Paso: July 5, 6, 18, 21, Aug 1, 5, 11, 23, Sept 9, 16, Oct 5, 23, Dec 27, Jan 4, 10 //
Dell: July 14,19, Aug 1, 2, 18, Sept 9, 12, 13, Oct 18, Nov 8, 9, 11, Dec 19, 22, Jan 13, 18, 25, 30 //
McGovern: July 15, Aug 1, 4, 19, 23, 29, 30, Sept 7, 13, 22, 27, Oct 18, 24, 26, Nov 2, 8, 15, 29, Dec 6, 7, Jan 3//
Baylor: July 19, 27, Aug 9, 16, 25, Sept 7, 15, 22, Oct 4, 31, Nov 8, 29, Dec 12, 20 //
UTMB: July 22, 23, Aug 9, 26, Sept 23, 27, Oct 28, Nov 18 //
Long: July 25, 26, Aug 26, Sept 6, 7, 13, 20, Oct 4, 17, 18, 24, 27, Dec 1, 7, Jan 5 //
A & M: July 26, Aug 4, 15, 22, Sept 20, Oct 3, 27, Nov 2, 8, 29, Dec 5, 12, Jan 2, 3, 4, 5, 23//
Texas Tech Lubbock: July 27, 28, 29, Aug 10, 12, 23, 29, Sept 9, 13, 14, 23, 26, 27, Oct 13, 18, 19, Nov 1, 3, 7, 18, 28, 30, Dec 6, 8, 12,
Jan 10//
U of Houston Fertitta: Aug 1, 3, 11, 19, Sept 6, 30, Oct 11, 18, Nov 29, 30, Jan 2, 23, 24, Feb 1 //
UTSW: Aug 3, 22, Sept 13, Oct 4, 14, Nov 3, 18, 22 //
UT Tyler: Aug 17, 18, 22, Sept 8, 13, Oct 6, 21, Nov 17, Dec 13, 20 //
UTRGV: Sept 2, 8, 9, 16, 19, 21, Oct 5, 7, 10, 12, 27, Nov 3, 11, 23 //
TCU: Sept 7, 19, 23, Oct 31, Dec 1, 14, 20, Jan 6, 9, 26, Feb 24, March 6, 8 //

TCOM (DO): July 6, Aug 2, 10, 22, Sept 12, 26, Oct 7, 24, Nov 2, 11, 23, 30, Dec 6, Jan 4, 6, 9 //
SHSU (DO): July 8, 11,18, 20, 29, Aug 1, 10, 15, 22, Sept 6, Oct 1, 3, 10, Nov 18, 29, Jan 3 //
UIWSOM (DO): Aug 3, 10, Sept 1, 2, 19, 22, Oct 11, 12, 13, Nov 14, 28, Dec 13, 16, 17, Feb 11,

Cruise over to this page to see when the first Pre-Match admissions offers were made by each school: #173

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Found this gem thread from 2007, back when the first Evangelion Rebuild movie dropped. Inspired me to make my account and tack on the relevant PFP after I found it 😂

1658720209540.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit the stats creep of TMDSAS is making me feel very discouraged. I need to find ways to get my mind off of apps (and probably this forum)

Reactions: 2 users
I have to admit the stats creep of TMDSAS is making me feel very discouraged. I need to find ways to get my mind off of apps (and probably this forum)
One thing the director of TMDSAS pointed out about the very high GPA averages over the last couple of years is that they may be elevated due to factors during the COVID-19 pandemic.
How is that?
Many colleges changed grading abruptly for 1, 2 or even 3 semesters, to Pass/Fail rather than graded. Students had no choice in the matter, but now a student who might have earned an A, B, or C in a class got a P, like everyone else who passed the class. P/F classes do not get calculated into the GPA used on the TMDSAS application. Some students might have come out looking better, with P/F grading during the tougher upper division courses.
We'll see if the GPA numbers head downward a little over the next couple of years, with letter grades back to being the default status.

In summary, Texas schools do like high GPAs, as things normalize we'll see if they really are as high as we thought recently.
I have no idea how MCAT scores were affected during the pandemic, but the median MCATs have gradually been creeping up for matriculants at TMDSAS schools.

Last edited:
One thing the director of TMDSAS pointed out about the very high GPA averages over the last couple of years is that they may be elevated due to factors during the COVID-19 pandemic.
How is that?
Many colleges changed grading abruptly for 1, 2 or even 3 semesters, to Pass/Fail rather than graded. Students had no choice in the matter, but now a student who might have earned an A, B, or C in a class got a P, like everyone else who passed the class. P/F classes do not get calculated into the GPA used on the TMDSAS application. Some students might have come out looking better, with P/F grading during the tougher upper division courses.
We'll see if the GPA numbers head downward a little over the next couple of years, with letter grades back to being the default status.

In summary, Texas schools do like high GPAs, as things normalize we'll see if they really are as high as we thought recently.
I have no idea how MCAT scores were affected during the pandemic, but the median MCATs have gradually been creeping up for matriculants at TMDSAS schools.
Good to know. My school was much less lenient with that and brought us back for in person classes and exams in Fall of 2020.

I wouldn’t think MCATs would be too affected by the pandemic. I was told by two admissions directors that they are paying more attention to it given their concerns about online courses and cheating.

Reactions: 3 users
God bless TX for the amount of in state med schools they have

Not gonna lie, seeing all the interview invites trickle in while I'm still waiting for my primary to be transmitted has sent me into quite the tailspin :(

Hope everyone’s holding up good! Don’t let the neuroticism get to you (even though I’m also guilty of it). IIs have only just started and we have a long way to go so keep your spirits high!

• Care
Hi y'all, how's it going?

What should you be doing right now?
1. If you're still working on your TMDSAS primary application, try to wrap it up soon and submit!
2. Done that? Work on your secondary essays one by one, taking thought and care with what you say just as you did with your personal statement.
3. Check your email & junk mail daily and your specific school portals (if any) once or twice a week.
4. Might as well get CASPer and Duet out of the way, many TMDSAS schools want CASPer, 3 require Duet and Long says Duet is "encouraged." Only SHSU is asking for the Snapshot component of Altus Suite. Applying to SHSU? Gotta do that one.

Little bits of news this week:
-Texas A&M EnMed interviews will be in person, MD interviews virtual.

-UIWSOM interviews: you have the option of virtual or in-person.

- Some of the TCOM interview invitations are showing up in their portal before you are sent an email.

-UT Tyler says at present they plan for in-person interviews, but this could change depending on COVID-19 numbers.. They have not sent out any interview invitations so far.

-If you have a Facebook account (yeah, yeah, I know, it's been taken over by our parents. Ask your mom to see hers LOL) you can look at the pictures of the new incoming classes of all the Texas medical schools as they get started.

Check my interview invitation tracking spot here: #2 and you will see that most of our TMDSAS schools have sent out their first interview invitations.
Remember: Not getting one in the first week or month does NOT mean that you have been "passed over" or rejected.

Let's be kind & encouraging to each other this year & have some fun while we wait and wait and...... wait.

Reactions: 8 users
FINALLY got verified. How long does it usually take for secondary transmission? I know some do it manually but for those who are automatic :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
FINALLY got verified. How long does it usually take for secondary transmission? I know some do it manually but for those who are automatic :)
You'll get most of them automatically within a few business days. Check all the school-specific threads for the essay prompts, if you haven't done that already. good luck this year!

You'll get most of them automatically within a few business days. Check all the school-specific threads for the essay prompts, if you haven't done that already. good luck this year!
Don't worry- already prewritten with the 6 weeks it took them to verify me! Thanks for helping collect all of them!

Reactions: 1 users
At what point do I let my neuroticism get to me. Seeing all these people get tmdsas interviews is overwhelming

• Care
I wish we could make a poll to put it in perspective.

Daffy Duck Waiting GIF

"Hurry Up & Wait"

Does that sum up your feelings at this point? It's pretty normal. We are just getting to the 2nd month of interview invitations. Schools are reading thousands of applications.
If your app is complete and ready to be read, you are in good shape.

Waiting for your app to be verified and sent to schools? Visit all the TX school pages on SDN to get your essay prompts and work on the essays. As soon as you get the word from your schools, you can send them promptly.

Haven't submitted your TMDSAS primary application yet? Tick Tock!
images-6.jpeg

We have not seen any interview invitations so far from 3 schools: UTRGV, UT Tyler, or TCU.
Carry on with school, research, or volunteering and good luck as you wait a bit longer.

Last edited:
Daffy Duck Waiting GIF

"Hurry Up & Wait"

Does that sum up your feelings at this point? It's pretty normal. We are just getting to the 2nd month of interview invitations. Schools are reading thousands of applications.
If your app is complete and ready to be read, you are in good shape.

Waiting for your app to be verified and sent to schools? Visit all the TX school pages on SDN to get your essay prompts and work on the essays. As soon as you get the word from your schools, you can send them promptly.

Haven't submitted your TMDSAS primary application yet? Tick Tock!View attachment 358474

We have not seen any interview invitations so far from 3 schools: UTRGV, UT Tyler, or TCU.
Carry on with school, research, or volunteering and good luck as you wait a bit longer.
In 30 years, if my kids decide to apply to medical school, I will tell them about the legend that was once wysdoc.

Reactions: 6 users
Got verified at 8pm on Thursday and by this morning had interview invites for all the schools except the ones that screen. Finally!!

• Wow
Did you mean secondary or interview?
Definitely meant secondaries. I'm so sorry, did not mean to scare anyone!!
Got my Dell secondary invite today too. Just waiting on UH!

Medical student Scholarships are mainly affiliated with the school you enroll in, and other financial support for most students comes in the form of loans.
However, remind yourselves to take a look once or twice a year, even after you begin medical school, for scholarships you could qualify for. Some scholarships are for med school upperclassmen specifically. The one I linked below is for EY 2023 new med students.

TMA (Texas Medical Association) sponsors scholarships for minority students in the incoming class, and each year will select 15 students who will receive $10,000 each.

Look at the information here for EY 2023 students and see if you qualify, then check the requirements and apply before the deadline.
Good luck!
TMA Minority Scholarship Program

• Care
One thing that's been on my mind that I was wondering about is accelerated preclinical coursework. I know Dell already does this and Baylor will adopt it soon. Is it weird that I want to avoid it? I know several medical students in more traditional programs who already have so much coursework and studying to do in their first two years and I'm concerned with how feasible it is to condense it all into a shorter period.

One thing that's been on my mind that I was wondering about is accelerated preclinical coursework. I know Dell already does this and Baylor will adopt it soon. Is it weird that I want to avoid it? I know several medical students in more traditional programs who already have so much coursework and studying to do in their first two years and I'm concerned with how feasible it is to condense it all into a shorter period.
I can understand that, @Numpostrophe
If you end up with more than one offer it's something you can compare among the schools to fit what you would like in your education

The “hurry up and wait” game is strong. I can’t shake that premed anxiety feeling of “There has to be something I should be doing right now!” Nope, just waiting…….

The “hurry up and wait” game is strong. I can’t shake that premed anxiety feeling of “There has to be something I should be doing right now!” Nope, just waiting…….
And working through a gap year means I don’t even have stuff to study. Very relatable.

Hello everyone, quick question -

I know it's quite early in the cycle. When should I start to actually consider myself rejected if I have not received any IIs? I was marked complete for all schools in early June if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help!

Hello everyone, quick question -

I know it's quite early in the cycle. When should I start to actually consider myself rejected if I have not received any IIs? I was marked complete for all schools in early June if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help!
Give it until November but in the meantime, are you continuing to volunteer and do other things?

Give it until November but in the meantime, are you continuing to volunteer and do other things?
I actually stopped most things. I am relaxing as I graduate in December.

TMDSAS has not processed any of the grade appeals I submitted a month ago (after it took me 6 weeks just to be verified). I just applied to the rest on my list with a 2.95 sGPA (AMCAS is correct at a 3.2 sGPA) because it's so late in the cycle. Send thoughts and prayers that they process them before I get straight rejected...

• Care
So it's September, AMCAS people always seem to say that things pick up after labor day. Is it the same for TMDSAS? Are we going to get rapid-fire II's after the 6th?

Melissa Mccarthy Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
~ adcoms showering us with II love after labor day.

• Love
So it's September, AMCAS people always seem to say that things pick up after labor day. Is it the same for TMDSAS? Are we going to get rapid-fire II's after the 6th?

We can only hope so

Any Texans got OOS II's yet? Only heard of one friend who got an II from NEOMED - was wondering if they had started looking at Texan applicants with the rest of the country, or if the rumors I've heard about Texans being disadvantaged for OOS apps are true.

Any Texans got OOS II's yet? Only heard of one friend who got an II from NEOMED - was wondering if they had started looking at Texan applicants with the rest of the country, or if the rumors I've heard about Texans being disadvantaged for OOS apps are true.

Nope, i’ve only heard from texas so far

I fully support the decision to go out of state but always remember this song...

Texas GIF

I fully support the decision to go out of state but always remember this song...

Texas GIF

> mfw was in ohio all summer
1662060003295.png

I forgot this song existed... spooky. Facts though, the Mexican food did suck up there - did you know they put cinnamon, chocolate, and spaghetti in their chili?

I actually stopped most things. I am relaxing as I graduate in December.
I know this is very tempting... but I always tell people to consider themselves rejected and needing to reapply until they get the A. Biggest impact on a reapplication will be "what's new" from last year. If you have to apply again with the same app you're going to get the same result.

I am lucky enough to have some interviews so far, and some are from OOS (and some are public)! It can def be done!

I am lucky enough to have some interviews so far, and some are from OOS (and some are public)! It can def be done!
Congrats! Guess it's just me applying way too top-heavy then :')

• Wow
It's kinda terrifying going back through threads and reddit. I've seen quite a few people who have been talking about having 4 II's but still not matching. I always try to think that it won't be me and that all I can do is my best, but sometimes I get a little disheartened by their stories.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
It's kinda terrifying going back through threads and reddit. I've seen quite a few people who have been talking about having 4 II's but still not matching. I always try to think that it won't be me and that all I can do is my best, but sometimes I get a little disheartened by their stories.
My son was one of the applicants who had 4 II’s with no matches last cycle, but this ended up eventually with 3 waitlists and 2 acceptances. Match Day isn’t the end of the cycle!

Reactions: 9 users

3 schools sent out more interviews so far today - Long, U of Houston and SHSU :nod:

3 schools sent out more interviews so far today - Long, U of Houston and SHSU :nod:
The prophecy is true…. congrats to everyone who recieved an invite today! Y’all are killing it!

Went into TMDSAS today, under "Pending actions" it had a link to "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal".

Got super excited, then I realized it's September and the link was pretty much inactive until October 15th. Gotta love the waiting game :)

• Haha
  • Wow
Anyone else excited about Oct. 15th even though you know that statistically, getting a prematch is unlikely? Haha

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else excited about Oct. 15th even though you know that statistically, getting a prematch is unlikely? Haha
I’m just excited for the entire prematch period to start. It would be nice if I had a few more interviews going into that period though haha.

This whole process is far too long. To think it could be a year from application to knowing where I will end up is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.