*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what are my chances of seeing the rockies beating the red sox in the world series?

with Boston's momentum (if you buy into that theory) and Colorado's week long layoff, I would say about 30%.

By the way goooooo Cubs, I feel your pain nehcmij86. I would make that my avatar too if I knew how. All we need is Mark Cuban to buy the team and get A-Rod. yeahhhhhhh... haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehh, boston has played well, but I dont like em, so imma go with rockies chance of winning 60%

i'm inordiantely grateful for the interviews i've received so far.

do you think i have a chance of receiving more from "higher tier" schools, according to whats listed on my mdapps? the sub 3.0 bcpm is going to graze me, but should i have hope and check the status pages as religiously as i do?

i'm inordiantely grateful for the interviews i've received so far.

do you think i have a chance of receiving more from "higher tier" schools, according to whats listed on my mdapps? the sub 3.0 bcpm is going to graze me, but should i have hope and check the status pages as religiously as i do?

Wow, you got your GW invite superfast. They didn't even send me a complete notice that quickly. That's definitely a good sign for future invites.

with Boston's momentum (if you buy into that theory) and Colorado's week long layoff, I would say about 30%.

By the way goooooo Cubs, I feel your pain nehcmij86. I would make that my avatar too if I knew how. All we need is Mark Cuban to buy the team and get A-Rod. yeahhhhhhh... haha

wow, i had the same thing in mind
Mark Cuban would actually care about winning

Hi, I had posted on this thread a while ago, but situations have changed, so I'm posting again.

As you can see from the profile, I applied LATE (AMCAS submit 10/5 - probably will be verified later this week or so...LORs are all ready, will submit secondaries right after verification) and have massively sabotaged my chances at these schools. I want to add more schools since all of the schools I have now are pretty competitive, and as you can see I've even added UCSF and UCLA though I know they admitted like one foreign student in the past decade, just for the hell of it. My concern is that if I add schools with admission averages far below my stats, they'll think I'll reject them no matter what in the end (not true) and reject me without giving interviews. What do you think I should do? They'll probably think I'm arrogant and have added their schools as back ups so late into the cycle while the truth is I applied late everywhere else...probably the latest person to submit AMCAS on this forum :eek:

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8490

MCAT Score: VR 13, PS 13, BS 14, M
BCPM GPA: 3.85
Overall GPA: 3.84

Brief Profile:
Average list of ECs:

2 summer research programs (laboratory)
research assistant for 1/2 year (clinical)
honours thesis project
hospital volunteer (2 summers)
mixed non-clinical community service (tutoring, mentoring,Sunday school teacher, church camp instructor, etc)
exec at student outreach organization
piano and violin

Overview of Applications:
Awaiting Secondary
Baylor College
Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Harvard University
Johns Hopkins University
New York University
Northwestern University
Stanford University
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Francisco
University of Chicago
University of Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt University
Washington University in St. Louis
Yale University

Oh by the way, I'm not a US citizen so I don't have a state school I can apply to. Regarding LORs, the ones from research supervisors are strong, but for the ones that explictly require teachers, probably not much other than class performance related stuff. Thanks in advance, I appreciate your input!

P.S and PLEASE don't make comments about how it's sooooo sooooo late :cry: and not worth trying to send in the secondaries now, because I already know and have been torturing myself and I'm gonna do it anyways...

ok, i've always wanted to try this.... let me know what you think, I am thinking of starting to study for the mcat again this winter??

graduated April, 2007 with a Biomedical Science degree (with a TON of additional science courses b/c I was previously a cell/molecular biology major)
GPA 5.58, BCMP 5.45
MCAT: 28S, B10, V10, P8 (sniffle)

activities:
working at least full time throughout college,
2 years tutoring
1 year as a nurse assistant at an assisted living center
1 year as a research assistant on a cell biology project (no publications)
2 years volunteering and working at a non-profit for single mothers (lots of experience coordinating volunteers and counseling women with crises pregnancies)
various service trips working with habitat, etc. (Florida, toronto, New Orleans, Guatemala)
started working as a nurse technician full time after graduation

so far I have been rejected from Indiana university and MCW, interviewed at MSUCHM and am waiting on:
Rush
loyola
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
UM
Wayne State
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Tulane
(all apps complete between 8/20-10/1)
any thoughts? Im hopeful with my MSU interview, but looking into the next year if I do not get in there I am thinking I need to re-take the mcat, any other suggestions to help my app or schools I should consider, etc??
thanks! (i probably should have done this sooner)

ok, i've always wanted to try this.... let me know what you think, I am thinking of starting to study for the mcat again this winter??

graduated April, 2007 with a Biomedical Science degree (with a TON of additional science courses b/c I was previously a cell/molecular biology major)
GPA 5.58, BCMP 5.45
MCAT: 28S, B10, V10, P8 (sniffle)

activities:
working at least full time throughout college,
2 years tutoring
1 year as a nurse assistant at an assisted living center
1 year as a research assistant on a cell biology project (no publications)
2 years volunteering and working at a non-profit for single mothers (lots of experience coordinating volunteers and counseling women with crises pregnancies)
various service trips working with habitat, etc. (Florida, toronto, New Orleans, Guatemala)
started working as a nurse technician full time after graduation

so far I have been rejected from Indiana university and MCW, interviewed at MSUCHM and am waiting on:
Rush
loyola
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
UM
Wayne State
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Tulane
(all apps complete between 8/20-10/1)
any thoughts? Im hopeful with my MSU interview, but looking into the next year if I do not get in there I am thinking I need to re-take the mcat, any other suggestions to help my app or schools I should consider, etc??
thanks! (i probably should have done this sooner)

5.58 GPA? :eek:

haha, good point,
how about 3.58, and 3.45?

ooops:oops:

Hi guys, i'm planning to apply in summer 08, so none of this is final yet

major : chemistry at U of Florida

sci GPA - 3.4
overall - 3.5

I also think it's worth mentioning that I had Cs in organic 1, 2 (freshman year) but As in every chemistry class up through physical chemistry 2, including bioorganic chemistry (which hopefully slightly redeems my bad orgo grades?) Also had a C+ in biology 1, but an A in bio 2.

MCAT - 33 Q (ps - 11, V - 10, bs - 12)

ECs:

4 semesters of research in a synthetic organic lab, with publications.

that's actually all I have, sadly. I have no shadowing / volunteering experience yet, or any sort of hardcore involvement in on-campus organizations. I'm a member of random clubs, but nothing beyond that.

Let me know what you think. I am planning to do some volunteering and shadowing in the very near future though...just bear that in mind. Also, hopefully my GPA will improve, since I have 2 more semesters worth of grades to add, before I apply.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, i'm planning to apply in summer 08, so none of this is final yet

major : chemistry at U of Florida

sci GPA - 3.4
overall - 3.5

I also think it's worth mentioning that I had Cs in organic 1, 2 (freshman year) but As in every chemistry class up through physical chemistry 2, including bioorganic chemistry (which hopefully slightly redeems my bad orgo grades?) Also had a C+ in biology 1, but an A in bio 2.

MCAT - 33 Q (ps - 11, V - 10, bs - 12)

ECs:

4 semesters of research in a synthetic organic lab, with publications.

that's actually all I have, sadly. I have no shadowing / volunteering experience yet, or any sort of hardcore involvement in on-campus organizations. I'm a member of random clubs, but nothing beyond that.

Let me know what you think. I am planning to do some volunteering and shadowing in the very near future though...just bear that in mind. Also, hopefully my GPA will improve, since I have 2 more semesters worth of grades to add, before I apply.

thanks
Need some Clinical experience

Ehh, boston has played well, but I dont like em, so imma go with rockies chance of winning 60%

What are the chances of the Rockies winning Game 1? Early results don't look too promising.

So, my GPA is horrid, BPCM a 3.33. I'm averaging 36-37 on practice MCATs and I'm confident I'll do that well when I take it for real. My ECs/leadership/research/shadowing/LORs are all pretty good. The low point is that nasty GPA. I killed my averages my first couple years of school, but a couple semesters ago I started taking medication for ADD and my GPA since then has been above a 3.7. I don't need to go to the fanciest school out there, but do you think I've got a shot at even a decent allopathic school? Or should I go DO? Do schools look at an improvement like mine, or will they just ignore my application due to the low GPA? Thank you so much.
Not a single response? I really got bowled over by a conversation about baseball? Darn.

what are my chances of getting a UCSF secondary after 11 weeks of waiting (they said wait 3 to 10 weeks in email)?

37Q, 4.0 biomedical engineering, OOS (yeah it sucks), research at UCSF

should i just assume that it's a rejection?

what are my chances of getting a UCSF secondary after 11 weeks of waiting (they said wait 3 to 10 weeks in email)?

37Q, 4.0 biomedical engineering, OOS (yeah it sucks), research at UCSF

should i just assume that it's a rejection?
I would think you would atleast get a Secondary from your stats alone, not sure about acceptance. JC why do you love UCSF so much?

I would think you would atleast get a Secondary from your stats alone, not sure about acceptance. JC why do you love UCSF so much?

i was there over the summer and it was a great place. i love san francisco too. getting accepted is not on my mind right, i just want that secondary. taking it one step at a time...

thoughts? it's too late to add schools. go with what you have and good luck!!

Ok here I go:

B.S. Biology from small liberal arts school
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 31S (BS: 10, PS:11, VR: 10)

Extracurriculars:
President of Pre-Professional Organization
Big Brother for a Sorority
Fraternity (Philanthropy based)
National Honor Society in Science/Mathematics
Phi Kappa Phi
President's List x6
Student Athlete

Rec's: 3 science professors and PI from summer research.

Service: nursing home, fixing old buildings, volunteer coaching, volunteering at homeless shelter, canned good collection, benefits for St. Jude, Cystic Fibrosis, Testicular Cancer Research

Summer research at two top 5 medical schools, conference acceptance.
Senior Research in hormonal control of development

Applied to:

Rush
SIU <-Invited to interview
Vanderbilt <-Rejected
Mayo <-Rejected
SLU
University of Chicago
U of Illinois
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Yale
Rush

Thanks guys!

Ok here I go:

B.S. Biology from small liberal arts school
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 31S (BS: 10, PS:11, VR: 10)

Extracurriculars:
President of Pre-Professional Organization
Big Brother for a Sorority
Fraternity (Philanthropy based)
National Honor Society in Science/Mathematics
Phi Kappa Phi
President's List x6
Student Athlete

Rec's: 3 science professors and PI from summer research.

Service: nursing home, fixing old buildings, volunteer coaching, volunteering at homeless shelter, canned good collection, benefits for St. Jude, Cystic Fibrosis, Testicular Cancer Research

Summer research at two top 5 medical schools, conference acceptance.
Senior Research in hormonal control of development

Applied to:

Rush
SIU <-Invited to interview
Vanderbilt <-Rejected
Mayo <-Rejected
SLU
University of Chicago
U of Illinois
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Yale
Rush

Thanks guys!
You applied to alot of upper tiers. I take it your from illinois, you should have a good shot at rush, SIU, and U of illinois. SLU sounds good too, not sure about chicago

That was kind of what I had figured thus far. I was put on hold at Chicago (At least not a rejection! :luck:) and I applied to Hopkins because I did my internship there. (<--- Does anyone know what effect this has? ) Yale was pretty much my "why not.. it sounds cool.." school. I feel that the MCAT is really killing me though.

i have a 3.1 gpa and wondered if there was still any shot for me to get into a md program.. i will be taking a year off

My grades are goingto drastically improve by the time i apply to med school but i just wanted to know if i had a chance to get into any med school in america. preferebly one in texas

Major: advertising
Minor: Biology
GPA: 3.2 science, 3.5 overall this will go up to 3.5 science by the time i apply.
mCAT:havent taken my mcat yet. (I'm still a sophomore)

EC:
-pre med honor society at school.
-hospital ER volunteer 20hrs a week.
-Red Cross Disaster Action Team Member

Research:
Currently no research but I'm gonna get some in before i apply.

Shadowing:
-about 60 hours/week with my uncle every summer
-other random sit ins with family doctors

Letters of Recommendation: will be strong when written

Personal Statement: good

So does it look like i have a chance at getting into a Texas school?

can anyone please answer my previous question thanks

can anyone please answer my previous question thanks

That's quite a stretch to get into an M.D. program with a 3.1 unless you put up an incredible score on the MCAT. Give D.O. schools a look?

Hey guys, newbie here. Any info would be much appreciated

I'm a Fl Resident graduating a year early with a biology degree. I've been complete since late Sept/Early Oct and have heard nothing regarding interviews or rejections

MCAT: 29Q

AMCAS GPA: Science 3.73 OA 3.74

EC: Ton of Clinical experience, on-campus volunteer organization, TA, IM Sports and musician for a while w/ no research experience( I would honestly rather give birth out of my urethra)

Schools applying: (somewhat in preference order)

UM-Miami
UF
UM-Boca
Univ South Florida
FSU
Albert Einstein-lost hope here
Loyola
Univ Rochester-lost hope here
Wake Forest
NYU-lost hope here
NYMC
GWU-don't even care
Georgetown-likewise
Temple-ditto

Any help is much appreciated, I am primarily concerned with the Florida schools minus FSU. Thank you again:)

Thanks Amwatts, Anyone else have any input?

Hey guys, newbie here. Any info would be much appreciated

I'm a Fl Resident graduating a year early with a biology degree. I've been complete since late Sept/Early Oct and have heard nothing regarding interviews or rejections

EC: Ton of Clinical experience, on-campus volunteer organization, TA, IM Sports and musician for a while w/ no research experience( I would honestly rather give birth out of my urethra)

UM-Miami
UF
UM-Boca
Univ South Florida
FSU
Loyola
Wake Forest
NYU-lost hope here
NYMC
GWU-don't even care
Georgetown-likewise
Temple-ditto

Any help is much appreciated, I am primarily concerned with the Florida schools minus FSU. Thank you again:)
I think a couple of your state schools will pull through.

I think you'll be fine at the Fl. schools also...in addition you shouldnt give up on Loyola or WF...I hear they take a while ..Good Luck :)

major:business admin at uc berkeley
postbac premed work at columbia univ
science gpa:3.9
overall:3.9
mcat 28: 10v 10p 8Bio
NJ resident

took one year off btwn undergrad and postbac work when I volunteered in Korea

-clinical volunteer at lenox hill hospital (4months)
-clinical at korean psych center (4months) where i got an MD to write a recommendation
-clinical in mexico over winter break
-shadowing DO reconstructive surgeon right now(since august)
-no research exp

-professional coed fraternity leadership role in college
-leadership role is Korean student association
-volunteered in UK and Germany (non-health) for 2 months
-volunteered for Children with Leukemia for 3 months in Korea(reading and spending time with kids w/ cancer once a week)

I applied to:
drexel
jefferson
temple
UMDNJ-NJMC and RW
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
GWU
Howard

I got an email from GWU saying my app is on hold. i guess this is not as bad as being rejected right away but still...im losing hope for allopathic...

do i have no hope for allopathic?

Could use some comments on my MDapp...ive been complete at most schools for nearly 10 weeks now. Strong upward trent for last two years of undergrad A's in high level bio courses.

anyone care to venture a percentage chance i have of getting an interview?

Could use some comments on my MDapp...ive been complete at most schools for nearly 10 weeks now. Strong upward trent for last two years of undergrad A's in high level bio courses.

anyone care to venture a percentage chance i have of getting an interview?
The upward trend should help, but your GPA is still very low. You also have no Clinical exposure what soever, that might hurt you more than your GPA. I think you have 50% shot of getting an interview at some state schools.

The upward trend should help, but your GPA is still very low. You also have no Clinical exposure what soever, that might hurt you more than your GPA. I think you have 50% shot of getting an interview at some state schools.

hey good to see you again...im starting to feel like im beating a dead horse. Is only the raw number considered? Because I really knocked my ass in line my last two years and got A's in some pretty tough courses...for instance

A general micro/lab
A genetics
A topics in human genetics
A behavioral pharmacology
B mol bio and biochem
B+ fund. of neurobio
A in systems phys and systems phys lab

i took most of these classes at the same time...will that work to my favor at all?

the only thing that killed my GPA was that i took bio chem physics and calc all at the same time and i got overwhelmed. i guess that doesnt factor into things at all?

it seems to me that someone should review our entire transcript when youre paying $100 dollars to submit a secondary instead of just looking at the bottom line number.

Someone pleeeeeeease give me their first impression.....?

Undergrad GPA: 3.35
BCPM: 3.29
Post-Bacc: 3.79

MCAT: PS-11 VR-11 BS-9 (31P)

Hospital Volunteer (CICU)
Foreign Medical Mission (2 weeks)
Varsity Athlete (1 year)
Biotech Employment (1+ years)

Applied 2006 - 4 interviews, waitlisted/rejected all around
Applied to 30 schools this year

Varsity Athlete (1 year)

you have a better chance than I, sir.

applying to 30 schools I'm sure you'll snag something. I think the crazies are contagious and you really dont have much to worry about. I on the other hand...ugh :scared:

Varsity Athlete (1 year)

25-30% chance of getting in somewhere this year.

Thanks guys, yeah I definitely have the crazies bad right now. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Varsity Athlete (1 year)

Excuse me if you have already answered: when were you complete? i think you'll get in to a couple of schools, but why did you apply to so many reaches?

monkily_stealth: what schools did you get an interview at last year? if you don't mind my asking. thanks

Just wanted to post up here again for one or two more comments while it's still in the front page .I really, really appreciate it

EC: Ton of Clinical experience, on-campus volunteer organization, TA, IM Sports and musician for a while w/ no research experience

UM-Miami
UF
UM-Boca
Univ South Florida
FSU
Loyola
Wake Forest
NYU-lost hope here
NYMC
GWU-don't even care
Georgetown-likewise
Temple-ditto

Just wanted to post up here again for one or two more comments while it's still in the front page...I really, really appreciate it

EC: Ton of Clinical experience, on-campus volunteer organization, TA, IM Sports and musician for a while w/ no research experience

UM-Miami
UF
UM-Boca
Univ South Florida
FSU
Loyola
Wake Forest
NYU-lost hope here
NYMC
GWU-don't even care
Georgetown-likewise
Temple-ditto

Are you an urm? If so you are golden. If not then you have about a 2/3 chance to get into one of your state schools (50-50 chance of getting into a state school other than fsu) and a 35-40% chance of getting into one of the rest on your list (because you applied to so few, so selective, and so late).

Major: Kinesiology
GPA 3.45 science gpa: 3.4
I am planning on taking the MCAT in January

EC:
President and vice president for a culture club
Spent 2 months volunteering in a hospital in Ghana
Pharmacology internship for 2.5 months in Chicago
Volunteering for 4 months 12 hours/week

My last two years as an undergrad I averaged a 3.8 GPA
In order to improve my chances, I decided to get a MS in Kinesiology
Do you believe this is a wise choice?
The masters will take two years to complete. I know that the sacrifice will be worth it, but is this the best way to go?
Also, What MCAT score would I need in order to ensure an interview to schools such as:

UCLA
UCI
USC
Temple
UIUC
Loma Linda
UIC
and other lower tier schools

Thank you
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.