***The OFFICIAL UT Memphis Class of 2009 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Addicted To SDN

Bueller...Bueller...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:D :D :D :D So, I know we have the 'Any Tennesseans?" thread, but let's hear it--who is definitely going to attend UT Memphis this fall? I am so excited...hell yeah! :D :D :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

Addicted To SDN said:
:D :D :D :D So, I know we have the 'Any Tennesseans?" thread, but let's hear it--who is definitely going to attend UT Memphis this fall? I am so excited...hell yeah! :D :D :D :D

i am from Memphis but my dad wouldn't let me apply as a TN resident. now i wish i did!!! wah... :(
where are you from? where else have you gotten in?

ardemus said:
i am from Memphis but my dad wouldn't let me apply as a TN resident. now i wish i did!!! wah... :(
where are you from? where else have you gotten in?

Its been over 24 hours and no replies...I have a feeling this is going to be an energetic entering class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had trouble finding this thread...for some reason the term "UT" could not be found, but I got lucky with "Memphis". So, what are y'all doing for living arrangements?

eiiza6eth said:
I had trouble finding this thread...for some reason the term "UT" could not be found, but I got lucky with "Memphis". So, what are y'all doing for living arrangements?

Really? UT doesn't show up...should I change it to the University of Tennessee? Its funny that there are only 4 replies and this thread has been up for quite some time now.

I am not sure... I was thinking about something on Mud Island...how about you? I was going to go over there next weekend to look around.

Well, I'll hopefully find out in a couple days. If I get in, I'm 90% sure I'm going. I'm also planning on Mud Island, or maybe somewhere in the midtown area. Everything is so much cheaper than DC, i won't have to live in a $10k closet anymore! Does anyone know if it's difficult to get an apt. in harbor town?
"any tennesseeans" is overrun with etsu people anyway

jmmmmm said:
Well, I'll hopefully find out in a couple days. If I get in, I'm 90% sure I'm going. I'm also planning on Mud Island, or maybe somewhere in the midtown area. Everything is so much cheaper than DC, i won't have to live in a $10k closet anymore! Does anyone know if it's difficult to get an apt. in harbor town?
"any tennesseeans" is overrun with etsu people anyway

That is true...we need out own thread. Yeah, I hear that Mud Island is the best place to live. I was told to build a house there then sell it if I move after 4 years...I don't know about that. I think I am just going to look for a one bedroom apartment. Oh hope you get in...I got a letter the Monday after their Friday adcom meeting. So hopefully you get a letter tomorrow. :luck:

Which parking lot would you guys recommend?

Hi there,

Just wanted to perpetuate the posts on this thread....haven't been online too much lately, and it's easy to miss a thread or two when checking up :) I would say that there is a 98.5% chance that I'll be headed to memphis this summer/fall. I have a few other acceptances and a few waitlists, but for the money and the experience, I'd say you just can't beat UT Memphis.

I'll probably be making the "final" decision soon so my boyfriend can start looking for jobs where ever we are moving. It would be cool to get together with some people from the entering class before school starts...ease the whole "making friends" anxiety thing :)

Congrats on all accepted!!!! Wooo! We're gonna be doctors!!!!

~madrigail

Oh my, I wonder if there is a letter at my house right now. Now I really want to go and check! Dam you physiology exam. Maybe it would be nice to come home to after the test...

madrigail said:
Congrats on all accepted!!!! Wooo! We're gonna be doctors!!!!

Lol (seriously)

Do you guys know if we are required to purchase a new pc from the school? I know that many medical schools require their students to purchase a new laptop or tablet pc upon entering medical school.

i dont remember where i saw it, but they require you to Have a computer, and give guidelines for what to get if you are getting a new one. it was pretty standard stuff; i dont think anyone has a computer that doesn't fit their standards.

oh, and no letter :(

hi! I'm wondering if there is anyone located in or near Memphis who may be interested in being a patient for my husband's dental exam, the SRTA, in April. We are really needing people to help us out! Anyone interested?

The exam is at the dental school and you will get treatment for free. (and its completely safe since there are several dentists checking work and all candidates have insurance) My husband is finished with his dental education and this is the final step in licensure.

If this seems unrelated, sorry, (I usually post about med school topics), but we are just very desperate for some people to help us. We live near Little Rock and are having a hard time locating people in Memphis. Thank you so much!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if UT does anything to help us find a roommate before school starts? I am from Memphis and have been looking at apartments in town. I've about decided I want a roommate for affordability, at least. The Bristol, the new complex near the med center starts one bedroom's at $909. It was really noisy there too, and I want to feel safer. Mud Island is looking like my best option now. Most of the people there are young and it's a whole different world than just over the bridge in downtown. And midtown is one of those areas that you have to know the good parts from the bad. I don't wanna get mixed up in the wrong area. Anyone else done any research on places to stay?

Oh, and to the person who talked about building a house on mud island...there's no room for that. But they are building some new ones soon, the last ones they will ever put on the island, I hear. They're a bit pricey and you'll have to get on the waiting list to get one. Good luck!

eiiza6eth said:
Does anyone know if UT does anything to help us find a roommate before school starts? I am from Memphis and have been looking at apartments in town. I've about decided I want a roommate for affordability, at least. The Bristol, the new complex near the med center starts one bedroom's at $909. It was really noisy there too, and I want to feel safer. Mud Island is looking like my best option now. Most of the people there are young and it's a whole different world than just over the bridge in downtown. And midtown is one of those areas that you have to know the good parts from the bad. I don't wanna get mixed up in the wrong area. Anyone else done any research on places to stay?

Oh, and to the person who talked about building a house on mud island...there's no room for that. But they are building some new ones soon, the last ones they will ever put on the island, I hear. They're a bit pricey and you'll have to get on the waiting list to get one. Good luck!

yeah, i just looked into building a house and it is definitely not worth it. First the waitlist has something like 500 people on it...that ends the conversation there. Also, you have to worry about all the maintenance crap yourself. Who has time for that? Furthermore, if you happened, through a miracle, get a lot then it would be done by mid January. It is just easier to find an apartment.

what is the average turn around time from adcom meeting to receiving a letter. The adcom meets tomorrow on my file.

Addicted To SDN said:
yeah, i just looked into building a house and it is definitely not worth it. First the waitlist has something like 500 people on it...that ends the conversation there.

500 peopel waiting to Build a house, right? Not rent one? Should I start trying to get a place on mud island now?

Did anybody call UT post-interview pre-letter to see what was going on? I called them today, and the woman put me on hold for a while, then came back and said (in not such a happy tone) that my letter was going out today. I don't want to read too much into it or infer what her tone really was, but did anyone else call? Were they all happy and responsive or just matter-of-fact? AAaahhh

jmmmmm said:
500 peopel waiting to Build a house, right? Not rent one? Should I start trying to get a place on mud island now?

I live on Mud Island now and love it. The houses that everyone mentions are new development homes. They are built in phases. There is not a five hundrerd person waitlist. You do not build your own home, you choose from a list of blueprints. The next phase of homes is scheduled to begin selling soon (if not already). The last phase of homes sold within 2 days. The final phase of homes to be built on the island will go on sale in the Spring of 2006.

As for apartments, there are a number of options on the island. I live at the Estates at River Point and am extremely happy. When I was looking, I visited most of the complexes and found these to be the best deal (washer and dryer provided, plus the largest in sq. ft.) as well as the cleanest. Some of the apartment ranking websites had horror stories of management at Island Park and of brown recluse infestations at River Set (none of this is my personal experience and is third and fourth hand, most likely). I did not look at either of those complexes. I did look at the Harbor Town apts and was not impressed by their upkeep or price/size. The Grove is a very nice apatment complex (slightly more expensive than the rest - but only marginally), but it seemed to me that the average age of the residents was closer to 30 than early twenties, which I was looking for. That said, I requested a specific size apartment and had to wait 2-3 months for it to become available. I know that all of the apartments run around 97-98% occupancy, so getting a deposit in now would not hurt (~$250). I can imagine that finding an apartment in the summer is more difficult given the size of UTHSC's incoming classes each year.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

Adam

aamartin81 said:
I live on Mud Island now and love it. The houses that everyone mentions are new development homes. They are built in phases. There is not a five hundrerd person waitlist. You do not build your own home, you choose from a list of blueprints. The next phase of homes is scheduled to begin selling soon (if not already). The last phase of homes sold within 2 days. The final phase of homes to be built on the island will go on sale in the Spring of 2006.

As for apartments, there are a number of options on the island. I live at the Estates at River Point and am extremely happy. When I was looking, I visited most of the complexes and found these to be the best deal (washer and dryer provided, plus the largest in sq. ft.) as well as the cleanest. Some of the apartment ranking websites had horror stories of management at Island Park and of brown recluse infestations at River Set (none of this is my personal experience and is third and fourth hand, most likely). I did not look at either of those complexes. I did look at the Harbor Town apts and was not impressed by their upkeep or price/size. The Grove is a very nice apatment complex (slightly more expensive than the rest - but only marginally), but it seemed to me that the average age of the residents was closer to 30 than early twenties, which I was looking for. That said, I requested a specific size apartment and had to wait 2-3 months for it to become available. I know that all of the apartments run around 97-98% occupancy, so getting a deposit in now would not hurt (~$250). I can imagine that finding an apartment in the summer is more difficult given the size of UTHSC's incoming classes each year.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

Adam

I think renting an apartment is the best option...I just have to get in early and find a good place. Like you said I forsee that if I wait any longer I might get stuck with a crappy one.

Congrats, everybody. I'm an M1 at UTMem; I've also lived in Memphis for about 26 years now, so I know the place really well. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any help.

To address a few specific questions and offer some advice off the top of my head -

The "required instrument" list somewhere on the UT website.
Don't worry about this just yet. The school will have Welch Allyn reps visit the class during the first few weeks of class; you'll learn more about all the stuff then. The UT bookstore will have everything on sale during the first 3 blocks (1st "semester").
Don't buy their argument that you will need the oto-ophthalmoscope and the full pan-optic head set...it@$800, I think. So you know, the otoscope is for looking into nose and ears; opthalmoscope is for the eyes and is notoriously difficult to use, and the pan-optic is an ophthalmoscope that works about 10x better than the normal ophthalmoscope. They'll tell you that you'll need your own tools for practicing and for the clinical skills assessment for the USMLE your 4th year. Well, nobody caries that huge case around with them; eye exams are done fairly rarely, and most exam rooms have the scopes built into the wall. You'll learn the ear exam in your first few months and practice doing it on a partner, so you'll need an otoscope then, but you can easily borrow one or choose a partner that has one already. (sorry for all the run-ons, guys)
You'll definitely need a stethescope. It has to be a littman Cardio III in green, because green is the color of the stripes on the MD accademic gown. Just kidding...get whatever you want. It needs to be good though - probably either the Cardio III (has the adult and pediatric heads, is more versatile, and is what most people get) or the Master Cardio, which just looks cooler somehow. A pen light comes in handy and is pretty cheap.

Re: computers. There is a computer requirement, but as someone mentioned above, pretty much any functioning computer will do the job. I'd also highly, highly recommend that you get high speed internet. Roadrunner is the most common choice; I'm not even aware of any alternatives. There is sooo much stuff on-line. You'll take some of your quizzes over the internet; notes from the note-taking system are posted there, and the e-mailing can be prolific. Get high speed internet. A good printer is a must-have too.
There is one guy in my class who uses a notepad computer, if that's what they're called, and loves it. There are about 3 people who take notes on their laptops. The classrooms were designed before the computer age, so receptacles are few and far between. In fact, I've been told the campus powersupply could not accomodate the addition of outlets for every seat. So, expect to sit on the front row or on the side aisles next to a TV monitor if you'll need a power source.
PDA's - you'll be required to have one your 3rd year when you go into clinicals. You really don't need one for M1 or M2, though I have one and find it really handy. You can get Netter (the anatomy guru textbook) flashcards for them and other programs that will allow you to make computerized flash cards...also, you can get an electronic version of Stedman's medical dictionary. This has come in really handy. Only a few people have a PDA; not neccessary at all, but they're kinda nice.

Living in Memphis -
It seems that most M1's, every year, live on the island. This slowly changes over four years, and many people end up moving away to appartments or rented homes in Mid-town and East memphis. The island is actually kinda pricey for what you get. I live in the S. Main area, in a refurbished warehouse. My appartment is a fraction more than what you'd pay for a nice 2BR on the island, but it's almost 1700 sq feet and has 20' ceilings. I'd look into living in one of these if you have a working significant other...because they're usually open floor plans, it might not be ammenable to a roommate situation. Living in an old warehouse is really cool, though, and the trolly comes right down S. Main, so you can take it all the way to the school if you want.
Here's the best thing, though. Try to find a guest house in Central gardens, Chickasaw gardens, or Galloway. These are uber-wealthy neighborhoods fairly close to the school, full of MD's that would probably let a med student have a place pretty cheap. These are hard to find, though. There are a lot of mid-town appartments and condos dating from the arts and crafts period - real wood fire places, hard wood floors, 10' ceilings, french doors, etc. Some have radiator heat, etc., and since they're competing with modern places like those of the island and the Bristol, they're not too expensive.
Regarding neighborhoods and safety -
Downtown is actually the safest zipcode in Memphis. This stat is kinda misleading, though, because other zipcodes may contain really safe and really unsafe neighborhoods. You're generally safe, though, if you stay in Memphis' "corridor of wealth" - between Poplar Ave. and Central Ave. There are a few exceptions, though...the area just East of the Medical Center is a notable one, but just on the other side of that is one of the most primo neighborhoods in the city. In general, *neighborhoods* in these areas are pretty safe. There are a few streets, especially bordering commercial areas that should be avoided. A quick drive around will tell you what's good and what's not. Really, check out Central Gardens...it's a historic neighborhood. Some of the houses in there run 2 million, but you can also find cheap renters and much smaller houses for sale in a suprisingly affordable price range.
If you're interested in renting or buying a house, check out the Highpoint area. It's north and east of Highland and Walnut Grove (Union Ave. turns into Walnut grove as you go east).

You know what this essay is? Procrastination...pure and simple...

I'll be in touch later with some advice regarding classes, etc.

Great post...I am going to be PMing you with questions if you don't mind. Thanks! :D

Asclepius said:
Congrats, everybody. I'm an M1 at UTMem; I've also lived in Memphis for about 26 years now, so I know the place really well. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any help.

To address a few specific questions and offer some advice off the top of my head -

The "required instrument" list somewhere on the UT website.
Don't worry about this just yet. The school will have Welch Allyn reps visit the class during the first few weeks of class; you'll learn more about all the stuff then. The UT bookstore will have everything on sale during the first 3 blocks (1st "semester").
Don't buy their argument that you will need the oto-ophthalmoscope and the full pan-optic head set...it@$800, I think. So you know, the otoscope is for looking into nose and ears; opthalmoscope is for the eyes and is notoriously difficult to use, and the pan-optic is an ophthalmoscope that works about 10x better than the normal ophthalmoscope. They'll tell you that you'll need your own tools for practicing and for the clinical skills assessment for the USMLE your 4th year. Well, nobody caries that huge case around with them; eye exams are done fairly rarely, and most exam rooms have the scopes built into the wall. You'll learn the ear exam in your first few months and practice doing it on a partner, so you'll need an otoscope then, but you can easily borrow one or choose a partner that has one already. (sorry for all the run-ons, guys)
You'll definitely need a stethescope. It has to be a littman Cardio III in green, because green is the color of the stripes on the MD accademic gown. Just kidding...get whatever you want. It needs to be good though - probably either the Cardio III (has the adult and pediatric heads, is more versatile, and is what most people get) or the Master Cardio, which just looks cooler somehow. A pen light comes in handy and is pretty cheap.

Re: computers. There is a computer requirement, but as someone mentioned above, pretty much any functioning computer will do the job. I'd also highly, highly recommend that you get high speed internet. Roadrunner is the most common choice; I'm not even aware of any alternatives. There is sooo much stuff on-line. You'll take some of your quizzes over the internet; notes from the note-taking system are posted there, and the e-mailing can be prolific. Get high speed internet. A good printer is a must-have too.
There is one guy in my class who uses a notepad computer, if that's what they're called, and loves it. There are about 3 people who take notes on their laptops. The classrooms were designed before the computer age, so receptacles are few and far between. In fact, I've been told the campus powersupply could not accomodate the addition of outlets for every seat. So, expect to sit on the front row or on the side aisles next to a TV monitor if you'll need a power source.
PDA's - you'll be required to have one your 3rd year when you go into clinicals. You really don't need one for M1 or M2, though I have one and find it really handy. You can get Netter (the anatomy guru textbook) flashcards for them and other programs that will allow you to make computerized flash cards...also, you can get an electronic version of Stedman's medical dictionary. This has come in really handy. Only a few people have a PDA; not neccessary at all, but they're kinda nice.

Living in Memphis -
It seems that most M1's, every year, live on the island. This slowly changes over four years, and many people end up moving away to appartments or rented homes in Mid-town and East memphis. The island is actually kinda pricey for what you get. I live in the S. Main area, in a refurbished warehouse. My appartment is a fraction more than what you'd pay for a nice 2BR on the island, but it's almost 1700 sq feet and has 20' ceilings. I'd look into living in one of these if you have a working significant other...because they're usually open floor plans, it might not be ammenable to a roommate situation. Living in an old warehouse is really cool, though, and the trolly comes right down S. Main, so you can take it all the way to the school if you want.
Here's the best thing, though. Try to find a guest house in Central gardens, Chickasaw gardens, or Galloway. These are uber-wealthy neighborhoods fairly close to the school, full of MD's that would probably let a med student have a place pretty cheap. These are hard to find, though. There are a lot of mid-town appartments and condos dating from the arts and crafts period - real wood fire places, hard wood floors, 10' ceilings, french doors, etc. Some have radiator heat, etc., and since they're competing with modern places like those of the island and the Bristol, they're not too expensive.
Regarding neighborhoods and safety -
Downtown is actually the safest zipcode in Memphis. This stat is kinda misleading, though, because other zipcodes may contain really safe and really unsafe neighborhoods. You're generally safe, though, if you stay in Memphis' "corridor of wealth" - between Poplar Ave. and Central Ave. There are a few exceptions, though...the area just East of the Medical Center is a notable one, but just on the other side of that is one of the most primo neighborhoods in the city. In general, *neighborhoods* in these areas are pretty safe. There are a few streets, especially bordering commercial areas that should be avoided. A quick drive around will tell you what's good and what's not. Really, check out Central Gardens...it's a historic neighborhood. Some of the houses in there run 2 million, but you can also find cheap renters and much smaller houses for sale in a suprisingly affordable price range.
If you're interested in renting or buying a house, check out the Highpoint area. It's north and east of Highland and Walnut Grove (Union Ave. turns into Walnut grove as you go east).

You know what this essay is? Procrastination...pure and simple...

I'll be in touch later with some advice regarding classes, etc.

After doing some research on the apartments here in Memphis, I've realized that many already have waiting lists. I probably need to get on that waiting list somewhere within the next month or so. My question for anyone who already goes to UT is, will there be a way to meet a roommate anytime before school is just about to start? Also, when does UT start sending out information again to those who are attending?

Thanks!!

eiiza6eth said:
After doing some research on the apartments here in Memphis, I've realized that many already have waiting lists. I probably need to get on that waiting list somewhere within the next month or so. My question for anyone who already goes to UT is, will there be a way to meet a roommate anytime before school is just about to start? Also, when does UT start sending out information again to those who are attending?

Thanks!!

I received a big packet sometime in the Spring...had all the parking info, etc. in it. I can't remember what other information was included. I didn't get some of the information I was supposed to have received, though, and learned this during registration. Sorry I'm not much help there.

About meeting roommates... Yeah, I think that the admissions office keeps a list of people who need roommates. It probably won't get rolling until the things calm down a bit in the admissions office. About meeting them, it's difficult unless both of you are already in Memphis, and most people don't move until they have a place (and a roommate).

asclepius,

any suggestions on safe affordable apartments in memphis? i like mud island, but if i found a place that i felt just as safe at for alittle less cash, that would be great.

Any word on the merit scholarships yet? I know they said Feb/Mar.

ezmoney1 said:
asclepius,

any suggestions on safe affordable apartments in memphis? i like mud island, but if i found a place that i felt just as safe at for alittle less cash, that would be great.

If you are looking for something more affordable, there are a lot of options as far as duplex/triplex units in Mid-Town (Central Gardens). There will be plenty available when you move to Memphis, but I would recommend spending a weekend down here to find what feels "safe" to you. Many people who are not from the area may not feel safe in some parts of Central Gardens that others who are from the area feel fine in. Memphis is an urban city with a unique feel to it. You will find crime throughout (though I have not yet heard of anything since I've lived on Mud Island). If you are used to being in a city like this, Mid-Town is a great option, however, you will be a little isolated as most of your neighbors will be older, etc... Some people will mention renting out back-houses of nicer homes in Chickasaw Gardens, but unless you know the family or have strong connections, this is most likely not a possibility. The are some other areas (Evergreen by the Zoo) which offer nice housing similar to Mid-Town, but they also vary street to street. These homes (Central gardens, Evergreen, etc...) are mostly rental properties and will not be in as good of shape as the large apartment communities, but may be more affordable. again, you're best bet would be to spend a weekend here to see where you feel comfortable.

Good luck, let me know if I can help.

Adam

I have made an excel spreadsheet listing prices and my personal comments from visiting 4 apt complexes on mud island and one downtown. I took into consideration application fees, gatecard fees, deposit refunds, w/d, and water. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and i'll email it to you.

Geronimo said:
Any word on the merit scholarships yet? I know they said Feb/Mar.

I've been told that all the finalists have been notified. Sorry folks.

anymore people made the "for Sure" decision about memphis?

I just sent in my notice to Dean Strother, my deposit should be returned to me shortly. That opens another spot for one of you all, good luck!

Another UT M1 here.
I came down a few weeks before school started last year to look at apts. after researching online (I was living 9 hrs away then). If you come on the weekend to look you might have to schedule visiting times b/c many complexes aren't open then.
I agree with Asclepius that the island is a little too pricey, but it is nice. I live in Midtown in Townhouse apartments, which is really great if you want to live alone. PM me if you want to know more about this place. There are usually some empty apartments here, esp. 1 br.
I also have a friend that rents a Central Gardens guesthouse, which is nice, but hers is pretty small. The thing I like about my apt. is that I feel very safe (which does not happen when I'm out).
i don't know if i'm staying here for next year, even though i really like it. Just b/c my bf moved in a couple of months ago and with 1 br it is getting a bit crowded, plus we both really really want a dog!

Hey, kiddos and congrats on your admission! I know how excited I was and I'm sure you guys are so thrilled to know what you're doing next year.

Housing...I live downtown, like a block from Beale Street. It's called the Gayoso House, and if anyone wants to check it out, PM me because I get a discount for references. Please PM me and I'll give you my name ;) ;) ;) . I love my apartment: super high ceilings, GREAT location (my apartment often houses friends who want to crash after a night out!), friendly residents, and a superb security force. I feel soooo safe in my apartment. A few drawbacks...I live on the main street side, and at first it was kinda loud, but I got used to it really, really fast! Also, they only allow cats, no dogs. But that made my fat cat Franklin even happier. Seriously, if you are tooling around Memphis looking for apartments stop by the corner of Front and Peabody Place and check out my gorgeous red building. (And PM me to let me give you my name!)

Classes....Included in your financial aid is money for a computer, however this is for your own use, you never have to use it in class unless you want to.

Welcome to Memphis. The people here are the most awesome classmates I could ever ask for!

h2, you know what happened at the gayoso house the year before you moved in, don't you? :eek: I think they stepped up security a good bit since then, though.

Asclepius said:
h2, you know what happened at the gayoso house the year before you moved in, don't you? :eek: I think they stepped up security a good bit since then, though.

I was waiting for someone to write about that... Plus one of the "sweet" benefits of living next to Beale Street is getting to hear bass all night long as cars drive around the block. It is convenient for going out, but my need for quite at 2 in the morning is more important.

Folks,
I've been keeping my eyes open while driving around midtown, esp. Central Gardens area. There are quite a few places available...many of them are older appartments which probably don't have tremendous closet space and really modern appliances, but they're likely to have 10' ceilings, nice moldings, lots of windows, hardwood floors, etc - arts and crafts style, essentially.

A few current and graduating students are looking for roommates or people to take their rent as they leave. I can get you some contact info if you PM me.

i finally got my acceptance about a week ago.. im trying to make the decision between ut and etsu, but am heavily leaning towards ut.. i saw that the 2005 match statistics are online but you need a username and pword.. is there a generic user and pword to take a look at the match results?

braduva,

How long ago did you interview and what information did you receive following your interview regarding your application??

CONGRATS by the way :thumbup:

it took longer than i had expected.. like 3 weeks when they told me it would be 1.5 weeks or so... but no worries, since i got in.. i got a big white envelope with a letter saying that i got in.. a parking request application.. a note about immunizations and health insurance.. i think thats about all.. it says more info will come in the future.

Originally Posted by Asclepius
h2, you know what happened at the gayoso house the year before you moved in, don't you? I think they stepped up security a good bit since then, though.

aamartin81 said:
I was waiting for someone to write about that... Plus one of the "sweet" benefits of living next to Beale Street is getting to hear bass all night long as cars drive around the block. It is convenient for going out, but my need for quite at 2 in the morning is more important.

Thanks, guys. Yes I know what happened. And something like that would never ever happen at any other Memphis apartment complex right? :rolleyes: ANd as for the "bass" I guess I got used to it really fast. So its a great complex for someone who maybe doesn't spend every Sat and Fri night studying. ANd those that I do spend studying, I go to the GEB.

I'm so happy I don't have to think about this anymore. I'm moving in with 2 buddies who are in dental school. We are living at the Estates at River Point.

This saves me soooooo much money per month. :clap: :clap::clap:

Any other Mud Islanders on board yet?

eiiza6eth said:
I have made an excel spreadsheet listing prices and my personal comments from visiting 4 apt complexes on mud island and one downtown. I took into consideration application fees, gatecard fees, deposit refunds, w/d, and water. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and i'll email it to you.

I have been reading this thread for quite some time, and finally decided to post. I will be going to Memphis this fall, and I am looking for a roommate to share a two bedroom with on Mud Island. I am on a waitlist for one at The Estates and have been for a while, so I should get the apartment. I did a lot of looking around in Memphis before I moved, and I thought this one was the best for the money. If you know of anyone who is looking for a roommate please let me know. I would really appreciate it. I am looking forward to next year, and I can't wait to meet you all.

Erin Stover

Hey everybody, I was just accepted this week and am excited as hell to be attending. :D

Hello y'all!

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to UT-Memphis :D ! Also, for the ones of you who are waiting best of luck to you. I'm an M4 at UT-Memphis, and I am heading elsewhere for internship and residency. Just in case anyone is looking for a midtown home that is near school my wife and I are offering our home as of this point.

If you'd like to take a look, the links are below. This is a midtown victorian in the Evergreen Historic District (I usually make it to campus in about 6-7 minutes). Just check the links below to take a look if you wish.

Please keep in mind that this is a new reduced price on the home as of yesterday. The Hobson Realty site's price is the new price, but the realtor.com link's price has not been updated last time I checked. Needless to say my wife and I are very motivated to get it sold!

Hobson Company Realtors Site

realtor.com link

Thanks for taking a look :D .
Stax

I'm bumping this thread to the top. I'm so pumped for school to start. Has everyone found out where they are going to live yet? :cool:

Hi All!

I'm about 99% sure that I'll be attending UT in the fall and am about to start looking for a place to live. I was planning on moving out with my long time (greater than 3 years) boyfriend, but looks like we're splitting up so will need alternative options :)

I'm thinking one bedroom apt. for the first year and then maybe switching to roommate the second + years after I meet some folks. One bedrooms anybody???

Count me in this fall! I'll be living at home for the first two years at least but good luck on everyone apartment hunting!!

Has anyone received information on the date and location of the white coat ceremony?

I haven't received that info yet, but I was wondering about it also. I haven't received anything about orientation, parking, etc...

TN Aaron said:
I haven't received that info yet, but I was wondering about it also. I haven't received anything about orientation, parking, etc...
I recieved an application form for parking, but since I don't have a campus map that has the different parking lots, I'm not sure which to choose.

utcrew said:
Has anyone received information on the date and location of the white coat ceremony?

Your white coat ceremony will probably be at Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church (I think that's what it's called) on August 12, 2005. I am going on when and where our white coat ceremony was last year.