**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im confused about what question you are asking :confused:

oh
i'm just not sure if SMPs are the route to take anymore with the risk of hurting my GPA

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking around at some SMP programs in the last couple of days (wish I had found them earlier!), and it appears that the only ones that fit me well and/or I can still apply to are outside of my state of residence (AL). If I spend one year at, say, Cincinnati MS Physiology, would that make me a resident of Ohio for the 2008 round of AMCAS or would I still be Alabama? Thanks for the help.

oh
i'm just not sure if SMPs are the route to take anymore with the risk of hurting my GPA

Ohh, at the moment it looks like your biggest weakness is the MCAT. If you score exceptionally high (im talking 33-35 and over) I say forgo your year of SMP, see where your applications take you (remember to apply early to med schools, and broadly). If you are unsuccessful, then I say go for the SMP (remember SMP tends to be one of those make em or break em type of programs so you want to leave this as your last but most powerful weapon for the end).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of any SMP (or MPH Programs) with late deadlines (August?) that would take me at such a late date with my taking the MCATs in July? HELP PLEASE!!! Thanks.

I've been looking around at some SMP programs in the last couple of days (wish I had found them earlier!), and it appears that the only ones that fit me well and/or I can still apply to are outside of my state of residence (AL). If I spend one year at, say, Cincinnati MS Physiology, would that make me a resident of Ohio for the 2008 round of AMCAS or would I still be Alabama? Thanks for the help.
Unless you get married to someone who gets a full time job here, it will require a full year of being in Ohio (and you have to fulfill certain requirements like changing your license plates, your driver's license card, having some money in the bank (most of us loans to fulfill that requirement)). So say you move here in August of 2007. When you start applying in the summer of 2008 beginning in June, you will initially have to list your current state of residency as AL, but then you are officially eligible to change it in August of 2008, so to answer your question, yes, the AMCAS 2008 cycle will allow you to be an OH resident, but after August (apply to the OH schools only after you change your residency)).

Does anyone know of any SMP (or MPH Programs) with late deadlines (August?) that would take me at such a late date with my taking the MCATs in July? HELP PLEASE!!! Thanks.
Taking the MCAT in July puts you at a significant disadvantage. Programs like BU technically have a rolling admission into August, but most of these spots are probably filled by the time your MCAT scores come in. BU however, I believe, has a spring semester that you can begin to enroll in.

Yes, I really didn't want to take the exam in July, but alas it was the way things turned out. Do you know of any other programs that might have rolling admissions into August? Would it be advisable to perhaps submit my application earlier and then state that I'll be taking MCATs in July? Thanks.

This is really a great thread. Yes, I would be extremely interested in knowing as well the answer to amster23's question. If anyone other than Braluk could also answer, that would be great. Also, what would you say is the GPA/Science GPA range for people who apply to SMP?

Unless you get married to someone who gets a full time job here, it will require a full year of being in Ohio (and you have to fulfill certain requirements like changing your license plates, your driver's license card, having some money in the bank (most of us loans to fulfill that requirement)). So say you move here in August of 2007. When you start applying in the summer of 2008 beginning in June, you will initially have to list your current state of residency as AL, but then you are officially eligible to change it in August of 2008, so to answer your question, yes, the AMCAS 2008 cycle will allow you to be an OH resident, but after August (apply to the OH schools only after you change your residency)).

Great. Thanks for the help. I will most likely (unless I get yanked off of one of two OOS waitlists) be re-applying :( for the c/o 2012. Will this work out for me? Also, on the online application, should I answer the forms for publications, honors, research, etc. in paragraph form or can I list it all out? Thanks again, great thread!:thumbup:

Also, for those of you who did/are doing/will do the VCU post-bacc program, I have a couple of questions. First of all, looking at the curricula of each program, I can't tell if these are medical or even graduate level classes. I took two Biochemistry courses, a Mammalian Physiology course, and a Comparative Anatomy course in undergraduate. Would I basically be repeating these courses at this level, or would each of these be graduate/medical level courses, and much more in-depth? Also, does VCU allow for me to send my undergraduate pre-health committee's composite evaluation? Or even the letters of recommendation I used for it? Thanks again!

This is really a great thread. Yes, I would be extremely interested in knowing as well the answer to amster23's question. If anyone other than Braluk could also answer, that would be great. Also, what would you say is the GPA/Science GPA range for people who apply to SMP?

I would say the "classic" profile for SMP student at a good program is someone with 3.4> GPA >3.0 and MCAT > 29

I would say that there is no "classic" SMP profile. There are so many different situations out there that it's really hard to tell anyone if they fit the profile, or even what that profile is.

Some students have much more work ahead of them to repair their academic records in order to be admitted to medical school. Just from what I have read on this forum over the last couple of years: some students did post-bacc work only, some have done extensive post-bacc work before being able to get into an SMP (or other graduate programs), some have gone straight to SMP or graduate school (a few even PhD programs over SMP because it was what they needed).

Each of you needs to evaluate your particular situation and figure out what will fit you and your goals the best (ie. why didn't you get into medical school?, are you willing to spend the money to go to an SMP?, is your local college a better choice for upper division science courses?, will a regular masters degree with a full research thesis be better for you?, do you just need to raise your MCAT?, etc.). All of these are personal circumstances or choices and depend on many factors.

Most of us can relate our experience in our particular SMP's and give advice based on our personal choices and experiences, but no one can really tell you what your chances are or who the typical student is. The only way to really find out if you can get into a particular program is to apply. If you don't get in, then ask the admissions office what you need to do to become competetive for admissions.

Good luck.

Taking the MCAT in July puts you at a significant disadvantage. Programs like BU technically have a rolling admission into August, but most of these spots are probably filled by the time your MCAT scores come in. BU however, I believe, has a spring semester that you can begin to enroll in.

i second this... and you can start the program spring semester. Several students go this route and it works out quite nicely.

I am searching for a post-bacc program around boston area in order to take advanced science courses and boost my GPA... Any suggestions, or for that matter, places that actually have this option? And if so, do I just take as many classes as I want until my GPA is high as I want? ...let me know! thx

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I do an SMP?

Here's my situation:

Undergrad senior (just finished third year). Have not taken the MCATs yet (maybe August?). Overall gpa 3.4, science 3.0. Definitely an upward trend (2.7 - 3.2 - 3.5 - 3.7 - 3.8). Grades in basic sciences are somewhat ok (couple of Bs and a C) while grades in advanced sciences are solid As (well there is one or two A-'s).

I have been working full time jobs, non-medical related, for the past four-five years mostly for financial support. I should've listened to other people when they told me to get a full time clinically-oriented jobs instead. I realize that I've shot myself in the foot by continuing to work in non-clinical setting jobs for all this time. Can't change the past now.

I plan on shadowing and getting an EMT certificate this summer. With the EMT under my belt, I plan on working part-time as an EMT over the fall and spring semesters. Shadowing + EMT will be enough for me to convince myself that medicine is the right choice. But will it be enough for the adcoms?

So to wrap it up:
- overall 3.4, science 3.0 with upward trend
- had full time non-clinical jobs for the past 4 years
- plan on shadowing + EMT
- plan on taking MCATs in August

My questions for you folks:

- Should I do an SMP?
- Should I apply to med schools this summer with those stats?
- Will my ECs be sufficient enough for med school (or SMPs for that matter)?
- Should I start applying to SMPs now or wait till Jan like the OP mentions?
- Any other alternatives?

Thank you

I am searching for a post-bacc program around boston area in order to take advanced science courses and boost my GPA... Any suggestions, or for that matter, places that actually have this option? And if so, do I just take as many classes as I want until my GPA is high as I want? ...let me know! thx
Many schools have postbac options that let you boost your uGPA. Check around on these forums, and search through, Im sure you will find some. Speaking for my own alma mater, Brandeis has a postbac that has linkage with GWU and (maybe Tufts) so that may be an option you may want to take a look at.

Any comments on my situation, folks?

Should I do an SMP?

Here's my situation:

Undergrad senior (just finished third year). Have not taken the MCATs yet (maybe August?). Overall gpa 3.4, science 3.0. Definitely an upward trend (2.7 - 3.2 - 3.5 - 3.7 - 3.8). Grades in basic sciences are somewhat ok (couple of Bs and a C) while grades in advanced sciences are solid As (well there is one or two A-'s).

I have been working full time jobs, non-medical related, for the past four-five years mostly for financial support. I should've listened to other people when they told me to get a full time clinically-oriented jobs instead. I realize that I've shot myself in the foot by continuing to work in non-clinical setting jobs for all this time. Can't change the past now.

I plan on shadowing and getting an EMT certificate this summer. With the EMT under my belt, I plan on working part-time as an EMT over the fall and spring semesters. Shadowing + EMT will be enough for me to convince myself that medicine is the right choice. But will it be enough for the adcoms?

So to wrap it up:
- overall 3.4, science 3.0 with upward trend
- had full time non-clinical jobs for the past 4 years
- plan on shadowing + EMT
- plan on taking MCATs in August

My questions for you folks:

- Should I do an SMP?
- Should I apply to med schools this summer with those stats?
- Will my ECs be sufficient enough for med school (or SMPs for that matter)?
- Should I start applying to SMPs now or wait till Jan like the OP mentions?
- Any other alternatives?

Thank you

In order to be more competitive, I'd recommend doing an SMP, unless you get really good grades this year. You can't apply to SMP's now anyway because you'll be in school this fall. For fall 2008, the SMP applications will be available in January and you can apply then. In terms of ECs, i think volunteering in a clinical setting would be beneficial along with shadowing. EMT isn't absolutely necessary.

so my advice: Do the MCAT, but may want to be free this summer to study, like work only 10-15 hours a week, but not full-time because it's hard to study after you've worked from 9-5 each day. See how your grades go in school, and if they are decent but not almost perfect, then you could do an SMP, but you'll need the MCAT for the SMP (or the GREs for some). If you want to apply to med school, it's probably too late cause you'll need letters of rec and maybe you credentials aren't as strong, but if you have plenty of money, then you could give it a shot, otherwise i'd wait.

I know that EMT isn't necessary but I realized that it's a perfect setting for me to get exposure to medicine (which is debatable I realize, but it'd be good enough for me). If I volunteer now, wouldn't it just look like I'm trying to "polish" my application? Because frankly, I don't think I'll get much out of volunteering in a clinical setting. I think, personally, I'll get much out of and will be able to talk more about it in an interview if I go ahead and do EMT.

Question: rolling application? I'm not sure if I understand that clearly. Does it mean that they enroll applicants as they recieve the applications?

So, realistically speaking, SMPs only care about the stats and not the whole individual (i.e. no interview process)?

I know that EMT isn't necessary but I realized that it's a perfect setting for me to get exposure to medicine (which is debatable I realize, but it'd be good enough for me). If I volunteer now, wouldn't it just look like I'm trying to "polish" my application? Because frankly, I don't think I'll get much out of volunteering in a clinical setting. I think, personally, I'll get much out of and will be able to talk more about it in an interview if I go ahead and do EMT.

Question: rolling application? I'm not sure if I understand that clearly. Does it mean that they enroll applicants as they recieve the applications?

So, realistically speaking, SMPs only care about the stats and not the whole individual (i.e. no interview process)?

rolling application- they can start accepting as they come in, thus it's better to apply early. SMPs would look at your resume too, and not just gpa/mcat.
about volunteering- i started volunteering my senior year, and now i am applying to med school for fall 2008, and doing an SMP in the mean time. to be honest, everyone volunteers/shadows so it's not like you will be trying to polish your application cause everyone does it. the most important thing is that you gain an interest for medicine, so for instance, filing paperwork and answering phone calls for nurses wouldn't really help. however, for my volunteering, i went around to patients and played games/talked while learning about some of the machines from the techs, so i got good experience. EMT would be good experience, just don't let it cut into your mcat studying time i guess

Is it possible to apply to SMP programs (i'm really interested in Tufts...) without having completed ALL of the premed courses. I am lacking one semester of bio and one semester of ochem. Unfortunately, my other premed grades aren't stellar?

Also, can anyone provide feedback in regards to Tufts' MBS program?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm reapplying to dental schools this year. I've gotten admittance to both the masters in pharmacology programs at georgetown and tulane. not sure what to pick.

gpa 3.2
science gpa 2.9
DAT 19
lots of dental clinic work
graduate college 2006

any advice which program might help me more????? thanks!

Is it possible to apply to SMP programs (i'm really interested in Tufts...) without having completed ALL of the premed courses. I am lacking one semester of bio and one semester of ochem. Unfortunately, my other premed grades aren't stellar?

Also, can anyone provide feedback in regards to Tufts' MBS program?

Thanks!
You can generally apply to those courses as long as you complete them before matriculation, however, to really make yourself be as competitive as possible for SMP programs, you want to of had completed them already because prereq grades seem to be fairly integral in the admissions decision making process

Hi,

I'm reapplying to dental schools this year. I've gotten admittance to both the masters in pharmacology programs at georgetown and tulane. not sure what to pick.

gpa 3.2
science gpa 2.9
DAT 19
lots of dental clinic work
graduate college 2006

any advice which program might help me more????? thanks!
Im not even sure the Masters of Pharmacology program is a SMP or affiliated with GT's medical school. I believe the pharm program at Tulane has helped their students get into medical school because *I believe* they take the classes alongside medical students. However it's best you peruse these boards and find out from related threads.

Do we have a list of SMP friendly schools to apply to?

Well any schools with an SMP themselves could be considered SMP-friendly to a limited degree (since they know about it), that aside there have been such a large range of schools that students get accepted to from SMPs. You can find them on this forum in the success stories thread on the board, and will probably find them littered here and there across.

Well any schools with an SMP themselves could be considered SMP-friendly to a limited degree (since they know about it), that aside there have been such a large range of schools that students get accepted to from SMPs. You can find them on this forum in the success stories thread on the board, and will probably find them littered here and there across.

Right when I decide on which SMP to attend, should I sent a letter to all my schools, especially the screeners?

Here is my info:

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7673

I included schools where an 8 in verbal might be able to slide by...

I am considering to add EVMS, but I was rejected pre-sec last year...

Question:

you mentioned listing the school as XXX school of medicine, but for example with georgetown, it is technically part of the graduate school even though you take classes on the medical school campus. AMCAS lets you write in the school's name, would it be better to write: 1. Georgetown University - Special Masters Program or 2. Georgetown University - Main Program (I believe it defaults to this when you don't write anything in) or 3. Georgetown University - School of Medicine (my concern with this is that it will confuse adcom members and make them think you matriculated into med school)

thanks!

Hey DVN- Usually one of your rec writers should be someone from the program with updates of your progress in your SMP. In the rec they usually describe what the SMP is about. For applicants who are applying before their SMP year begins, this is probably unavailable (I sent mine out as the program progressed to schools). However, if you fit it into your personal statement that may be helpful. If not, you can always provide a letter of update to your file with your AMCAS Id number and a brief description of what your SMP is about, what medical schoolc lasses you are taking, etc..etc.. (just make it brief) and request that it be added to your file.

Question:

you mentioned listing the school as XXX school of medicine, but for example with georgetown, it is technically part of the graduate school even though you take classes on the medical school campus. AMCAS lets you write in the school's name, would it be better to write: 1. Georgetown University - Special Masters Program or 2. Georgetown University - Main Program (I believe it defaults to this when you don't write anything in) or 3. Georgetown University - School of Medicine (my concern with this is that it will confuse adcom members and make them think you matriculated into med school)

thanks!
I simply wrote down XXX school of medicine- special masters program (some might put special graduate masters program), im not sure about the technicalities of it. As for confusing them that you already matriculated into medical school, I believe you indicate somewhere in the secondaries or even the AMCAS if you have previously attended medical school, of which you choose no, that should clear up any confusion.

I'm a bit confused: is there a distinction between Specialized Master's Programs and Post-Bacc programs? From what I've read, it seems SMP's are for people who were eligible to apply to med school (ie completed prereqs, mcats, etc), but wanted to strengthen their app.

What about the case of someone who will complete his undergrad without having completed the prereqs (I'm short 6 cr. bio, and 1 sem. Ochem), and has not even thought about taking the MCAT ? (due to poor knowledge of the stuff that is covered.)

Is this what is referred to by "post-bacc"? At my school, for example, the post-bacc is a non-degree "certificate" program that basically makes you take all the pre-reqs, with 6-10 extra cred squeezed in.

What do you guys recommend? (My ug gpa, with an econ/math major is just around 3.1, and my bcmp is around 2.9)

I am considering finishing up my pre-reqs (12 cr.) at a local public university (say, a CUNY school) in addition to taking some extra bio upper level bio classes in the Fall. My main goal would be to boost my bcmp and ug gpa by as much as possible, and then to apply for admission in 2009 next summer.

Thanks for your advice.

You cannot apply for a special masters program unless you have all the medical school prereqs completed. In your case you need to take a postbac to complete your requirements. Some postbacs have linkages with medical schools so this may be an option to pursue. You can take a la carte classes as well but keep in mind that postbacs tend to be more organized and medical schools will recognize these (IMO) programs moreso than a la carte classes at a local college.

Just looking for some advice before I have to mail in a deposit to either BU or Drexel. I've been searching for some opinions on these two programs and I haven't really been able to find too many differences besides tuition (BU is $34,000? v. $22,000 at Drexel). Is there a real disparity in their med school acceptance rates? What would you do? Thanks for the help!

I've been accepted into Tulane Human Genetics, Loyola Chicago Mams, and New Jersey Biomedical sciences Master's. NJ and Loyola has medical school courses, while Tulane does not. I have a 3.1 GPA and 28 MCAT. I am gearing towards Tulane because I really like genetics, but should I go for a master's that has medschool courses like Loyola or NJ instead? My real goal is medschool. Which programs do you think they would look on more favorable to admissions committees and why?

Thanks a lot braluk..appreciate the help! got rid of all the confusion now thanks!

Just looking for some advice before I have to mail in a deposit to either BU or Drexel. I've been searching for some opinions on these two programs and I haven't really been able to find too many differences besides tuition (BU is $34,000? v. $22,000 at Drexel). Is there a real disparity in their med school acceptance rates? What would you do? Thanks for the help!

I've been having the same decision to make. I think right now I'm going to choose drexel's IMS because I can't justify paying that much more for school (and housing) for what appears to be just a name.

Just to throw in a quick (belated) comment - I've spoken with BU about the Spring semester and they cautioned me about considering it as an available option. They fill their class for fall and accept people in Spring to fill spots of people who drop out - which is very slim pickings. This isn't to say, by any means, not to try it - just don't have it set in stone as what you plan on doing. As admissions standards for SMP's continue to rise, they said they expect very few (if any) drop outs for this year.

hey, i'm still waiting to hear from the SMP @ UC (cincinnati) as well as the program at Loyola Chicago. I was just wondering if anyone had heard from UC yet, their webpage says late June so I was just curious. Im also curious as to whether anyone knows or has a clue as to how many people apply to the UC program.

I have been accepted to Drexel IMS (SpecialMastersProgram) and Tulane's Genetics Masters programs (non-SMP). I have been advised to take graduate work to improve my resume. Drexel's program has medical school courses, but the class size is huge. Tulane's program has a tiny class size, but no medical school courses. I am leaning towards Tulane because I think I will get more personal attention and score better grades. Is it a mistake to choose a genetics masters over a semi-medical masters?

hi,

here's my stats
Overall gpa 3.0
science gpa 2.6
not too much EC :( --does this matter too much for SMPs??? i know it's going to hurt me when i apply to med school but im hoping i get some experience by then. Right now, raising my grades is more important for me.

From what i found pretty much all the SMPs require you to have at least 3.0 gpa, do they mean overall GPA or science GPA or BOTH???? If i take some upper-bio classes at a State college and raise my science GPA, is that going to raise my chance of getting in??? or should i just devote my time studying for MCAT and get >30???
any, ANY advice would be really helpful!!!

3.3 Overall GPA
3.1 BCPM GPA
31S (10P, 11V, 10B)
Broad EC's, clinical/bench research, community volunteering with some clinical exposure (can never have enough of that)

Got accepted to both Penn Special Sciences and Georgetown SMP. Will be retaking the MCAT in September (I know my score is good, but I was expecting better last time; and I have two months of idle activity otherwise) and applying in next year's cycle. I'm pretty much set on Penn but I'm hoping someone can give me more insight into what I should do.

I feel like going the post-bac route would be significantly cheaper, and doing well in it would boost my BCPM to as high as 3.3 according to spreadsheets. But I'm only still on the cusp of being competitive at most schools. However, my in-state school (Wayne State) says that if I do 20+ credits of hard science in a post-bac, they'll use my post-bac GPA as my overall GPA in their deliberations. So that's a big plus to doing the post-bac. So, 1) its cheaper and would allow me work part-time during the day, if necessary, as classes are at night, 2) doing well guarantees me at least the interview at my in-state school, 3) the advising appears to be personal and top-notch. Somehow, I trust Mrs. Hershman's advice more based on my interview there than I did my undergrad premedical advisor.

On the other hand, I could do Georgetown's SMP, but my BCPM GPA will still be low. It's also extremely expensive. So I am really not sure how much better of an option it is. It's good in that I can effectively overcome my GPA, though a 3.1 ugrad sciences GPA still doesn't look that great. And I just cannot afford the extra $25,000 for the SMP even with loans (I still need to pay off ugrad loans), and I won't be able to work part-time to help cover some of those costs. To me, the benefits just doesn't seem to outweigh the costs compared to Penn's program. But then again it is entirely conceivable that I would still need to do a SMP in the year after I do the post-bac at Penn, based on what I've read in my forum searches. Arghh.

Something tells me that both options will get me to where I want to go, which is to fulfill my goal of becoming a medical doctor, so it's sort of a win-win situation. I just have to apply myself fully as it will be more or less my last shot, right?

I have seen a few people mention a Tulane SMP, anyone now anything about this program ie entrance stats, Med schools links, classes, deadlines, anything? Thanks

Hey Does anyone know of any SMPs that are a little flexible with the GPA requirement? I'm a pre-dent graduating the spring with a degree in engineering (biomed). Realistically, I'll be at a 2.7-2.8 when I finish (a little lower now), and hoping for some solid grades this semester (getting a 3.5+ in my program is considered really good). My DATs should come out above average (21ish). Also have a lot of ECs and leadership and some research. To sum it up I think I have most of the credential s a good applicant to dental school would have with the exception of GPA (and one of the biggest too, unfortunately). BU MAMS looks really fruitful, as well as UMDNJ ( I think both of these state a 3.0) . Both accept pre-dents too. Do you guys think I could possibly have a shot.

Hello,

I just completed my 4th year as a UCLA Psychobiology undergrad with an overall GPA of 2.861 (I completed my major and medical school pre-requisites, but I put a hold on my graduation just in case I decide to take more classes to boost up my GPA). I initially was not aiming toward medicine (I was looking more toward psychology), but after volunteering at several departments at the UCLA medical center, I decided that I really want to pursue a career in medicine. Here are my medical pre-requisite (science) grades:

LIFESCI 1 B+
LIFESCI 2 C
LIFESCI 3 C+
LIFESCI 4 C

CHEM 14A B
CHEM 14B C-
CHEM 14BL C
CHEM 14C C+
CHEM 14CL B
CHEM 14D C

MATH 3B B
MATH 3C C

PHYSICS 6A C
PHYSICS 6B B-
PHYSICS 6C B

PHY SCI 5 C
MCD BIO M140 C
CHEM 153A C
CHEM 153L B

I understand that my grades are far below medical school standards, and possibly many of the SMPs (due to immaturity and a rocky relationship), but I would like to know if I still have a shot at this.

I plan to study hard and take the MCAT this January; I plan on shadowing a doctor during this study period as well. I would like to apply for the fall 2008 SMP admissions early in 2008 (January or February).

My question is do I have a chance at SMPs and eventually medical schools given my undergraduate grades?

And if I do, what else should I do to improve my application for both SMPs and medical schools? Should I take more classes at UCLA after my MCAT (would I be able to submit my SMP application in January/February and say that I’m still taking classes to improve my GPA?). Any suggestions as to what would make me stand-out as an applicant (notable extra-curriculars)?

And how important are the letters of rec.? I have a Japanese T.A. that could probably write me a good LOR (he is now a good friend of mine and can talk more about my character) and probably could get a decent (although less personal) letter from a Psychobiology professor (I got an A in the course); but since I did not perform all that well in the sciences, I probably should not ask, say, my Chem 153L professor for one? Given these circumstances, would you recommend me taking more classes at UCLA after I take my MCAT (and hold off on applying early to SMPs) to get a solid letter of rec. from an academic advisor as well as to boost my GPA?

I would greatly appreciate your advice; thank you very much for your time.

You should def do the post-bacc. Less competition, higher Cum and BCPM GPA, GPA replacement, less expensive...ummm as smart as you seem to be, I'd do the post bacc.

3.3 Overall GPA
3.1 BCPM GPA
31S (10P, 11V, 10B)
Broad EC's, clinical/bench research, community volunteering with some clinical exposure (can never have enough of that)

Got accepted to both Penn Special Sciences and Georgetown SMP. Will be retaking the MCAT in September (I know my score is good, but I was expecting better last time; and I have two months of idle activity otherwise) and applying in next year's cycle. I'm pretty much set on Penn but I'm hoping someone can give me more insight into what I should do.

I feel like going the post-bac route would be significantly cheaper, and doing well in it would boost my BCPM to as high as 3.3 according to spreadsheets. But I'm only still on the cusp of being competitive at most schools. However, my in-state school (Wayne State) says that if I do 20+ credits of hard science in a post-bac, they'll use my post-bac GPA as my overall GPA in their deliberations. So that's a big plus to doing the post-bac. So, 1) its cheaper and would allow me work part-time during the day, if necessary, as classes are at night, 2) doing well guarantees me at least the interview at my in-state school, 3) the advising appears to be personal and top-notch. Somehow, I trust Mrs. Hershman's advice more based on my interview there than I did my undergrad premedical advisor.

On the other hand, I could do Georgetown's SMP, but my BCPM GPA will still be low. It's also extremely expensive. So I am really not sure how much better of an option it is. It's good in that I can effectively overcome my GPA, though a 3.1 ugrad sciences GPA still doesn't look that great. And I just cannot afford the extra $25,000 for the SMP even with loans (I still need to pay off ugrad loans), and I won't be able to work part-time to help cover some of those costs. To me, the benefits just doesn't seem to outweigh the costs compared to Penn's program. But then again it is entirely conceivable that I would still need to do a SMP in the year after I do the post-bac at Penn, based on what I've read in my forum searches. Arghh.

Something tells me that both options will get me to where I want to go, which is to fulfill my goal of becoming a medical doctor, so it's sort of a win-win situation. I just have to apply myself fully as it will be more or less my last shot, right?