The life of a dental school student...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iambatman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to meet new people. Create life long friends. Not only with colleagues, but also faculty members too. I'm looking foward to the educational and clinical experience. I'm looking foward to good times. I'm looking foward for a new enviornment, maybe a fun city. Night life, mixed in with hours of hard work in school with my future colleagues...

...am I being naive?

What is the life of a dental student like?

If possible, could you please post your Dental School, and your 'overall' experience? I know this may be difficult, but I'd appreciate any kind of input.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

iambatman said:
I can't wait to meet new people. Create life long friends. Not only with colleagues, but also faculty members too. I'm looking foward to the educational and clinical experience. I'm looking foward to good times. I'm looking foward for a new enviornment, maybe a fun city. Night life, mixed in with hours of hard work in school with my future colleagues...

...am I being naive?

What is the life of a dental student like?

If possible, could you please post your Dental School, and your 'overall' experience? I know this may be difficult, but I'd appreciate any kind of input.

Thanks!
Er...you realize this isn't the dental school board, right? ;)

Take out a dictionary and look up this word if you don't know the meaning:

Quixotic

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: Bring the fuzzy-wuzzies to the pre-dental or dental student forums----Most of us on this forum---- already figured out the truth :laugh:

Just kidding--a postive attitude is necessary; gives the professors something to chip at. :laugh:

Dr. B

DcS said:

Quixotic
Out of curiousity, I looked it up, too--very descriptive word. Nice choice.

What do you think about starting us a "word of the day" thread to continue the trend? =)

OMFSCardsFan said:
Out of curiousity, I looked it up, too--very descriptive word. Nice choice.

What do you think about starting us a "word of the day" thread to continue the trend? =)

Okay, I will oblige. I suggest everyone go to google and type in the word of the day.

Today's word of the day is: Bangbus

aphistis said:
Er...you realize this isn't the dental school board, right? ;)

but havn't people doing residencies, allready been to dental school? could you fill me in?

iambatman said:
but havn't people doing residencies, allready been to dental school? could you fill me in?

We've been there and survived the involuntary anal dilation... 4 years later we hobbled out and vowed not to speak of those memories again.

Bifid Uvula said:
We've been there and survived the involuntary anal dilation... 4 years later we hobbled out and vowed not to speak of those memories again.

Truthfully, dental school is a real treat. Most people on this forum will tell you it actually is much much more enjoyable than actually being a dentist in private practice.

For instance where I went to dental school:
We had complementary coffee and donuts every morning for lecture. Our professors never yelled at us, and even would allow us one extra day of study prior to exams.

We only had to learn the basics of doing cleanings, because we were each assigned a hygiene team, so this allowed us to do real complex cases. Patients were scheduled for us, and if they didn't show for their appointments they always had back-up patients to help satisfy our education requirements.

Once a week we would all go to a professor's house for dinner and an informal lecture. Once a month we'd actually go to the dean's house for the same thing.

The students were generally very happy. We had a wonderful relationship with medical students across the street as well. We'd get together and throw rocks at the law students, pick on the pharmacy students, and flirt with the nursing students.

I think my fondest memory of dental school was the entire experience in periodontics... those professors are just brilliant! The way they can teach you about the history of the gums, and the amazing periodontal ligament, and and how to do these ingenious gum surgeries to essentially make you equivalent to a plastic surgeon in your skill and knowledge. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Bifid Uvula said:
Truthfully, dental school is a real treat. Most people on this forum will tell you it actually is much much more enjoyable than actually being a dentist in private practice.

For instance where I went to dental school:
We had complementary coffee and donuts every morning for lecture. Our professors never yelled at us, and even would allow us one extra day of study prior to exams.

We only had to learn the basics of doing cleanings, because we were each assigned a hygiene team, so this allowed us to do real complex cases. Patients were scheduled for us, and if they didn't show for their appointments they always had back-up patients to help satisfy our education requirements.

Once a week we would all go to a professor's house for dinner and an informal lecture. Once a month we'd actually go to the dean's house for the same thing.

The students were generally very happy. We had a wonderful relationship with medical students across the street as well. We'd get together and throw rocks at the law students, pick on the pharmacy students, and flirt with the nursing students.

I think my fondest memory of dental school was the entire experience in periodontics... those professors are just brilliant! The way they can teach you about the history of the gums, and the amazing periodontal ligament, and and how to do these ingenious gum surgeries to essentially make you equivalent to a plastic surgeon in your skill and knowledge. :laugh:

Were did you go to dental school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iambatman said:
Night life

Dont have high expectations here, specially if your school administers weekly exams. BU drops the exams mostly at the beginning of the week, Monday or Tuesday, so your weekend is basically spent cramming.

Since Labor Day weekend, Ive gone out on a weekend night exactly 1 time (Halloween). The other nights that I have gone out have been a couple times on Monday nights or Tuesday nights after an exam, which totally sucks for night life.

thx, do you also make a lot of friends in your class :)

or do people keep to themselves? :mad:

iambatman said:
thx, do you also make a lot of friends in your class :)

or do people keep to themselves? :mad:

Here at BU, we are a pretty tight knit group. There is the crowd that keeps to themselves, but that is relatively small compared to the class size. For the most part, we get along with one another just fine. You dont get to party that much, but you do spend a lot of time with classmates and it helps that they are totally chill...good group to hang with, fo' sho'. You will definitely find some life long friends. Good times bro, good times.

Members don't see this ad :)
DcS said:

Quixotic

Funny they created a word after Don Quixote (I love that book). Definitely a good word to describe most predents and even 1st and 2nd years. Thanks for the vocab booster.

Bifid Uvula said:
Even I find this **** funny, I think I crapped myself laughing :laugh: . This is probably the best description of the vast majority of my collegues I have ever seen.

DcS said:

Quixotic

Haha, quixotic is a GRE word. What a waste of time that test was! Did it get me into ortho? No.. did my classmates who scored below the supposed 600 verbal minimum at some programs while I cleared it get the interviews at those programs over me? You betcha. :)

iambatman said:
...I'm looking foward to the educational and clinical experience. I'm looking foward to good times....
HAAaaa Haaaaa Haaaaa !

Oh that was a good laugh.

Surfs up said:
Haha, quixotic is a GRE word. What a waste of time that test was! Did it get me into ortho? No.. did my classmates who scored below the supposed 600 verbal minimum at some programs while I cleared it get the interviews at those programs over me? You betcha. :)

Ha, you don't need a good GRE score to get an ortho interview.

You just need to look hot in your 2x2 mug shot you send them. Duh. ;)

Bifid Uvula said:
That post was awesome...except that I now have a hernia...nice work...

griffin04 said:
Ha, you don't need a good GRE score to get an ortho interview.

You just need to look hot in your 2x2 mug shot you send them. Duh. ;)

Or just take a photo of the best-looking person on the street and send that in as your photo. Course, then you have some explaining to do once you arrive at your interview...

jpollei said:
Or just take a photo of the best-looking person on the street and send that in as your photo. Course, then you have some explaining to do once you arrive at your interview...

When did you snap that photo of me in clinic? I hope you got my good side :thumbup:

jpollei said:

Thanks for the advice, maybe you had some explaining to do when you showed up to interview. When i got there, it was unbelievable how much hotter i am in person. :laugh:

Rezdawg said:
Dont have high expectations here, specially if your school administers weekly exams. BU drops the exams mostly at the beginning of the week, Monday or Tuesday, so your weekend is basically spent cramming.

Since Labor Day weekend, Ive gone out on a weekend night exactly 1 time (Halloween). The other nights that I have gone out have been a couple times on Monday nights or Tuesday nights after an exam, which totally sucks for night life.

Second semester 1st year is even more fun. :)

WildcatDMD said:
Second semester 1st year is even more fun. :)

Thats what all the non-1st years keep telling me. Next semester will make this one look like a vacation. Thats just fantastic :thumbdown: .

DcS said:
When did you snap that photo of me in clinic? I hope you got my good side :thumbup:

yup, got your good side... according to your boyfriend, taking a picture of your best side definitely doesn't get the flash in your eyes...