The future of intervention: Calling all current, recent, and previous Spine Fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raphaelaaron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This won’t be a thread based on pain vs spine which has been done ad nauseam. It’s only to get any folks who went the Interventional spine
route and what you have dealt with in the job market.

I got into an Interventional spine program and mine is at an academic institution. Obviously unaccredited, but was wondering if anyone had answers regarding a few topics. Now that the grandfathered period has since lapsed spine docs are not able to sit for the pain or sports boards unless completed a 12 month ACGME pain or sports fellowship. This thread is targeted to recent grads post 2011 after the grandfather period.

#1 Academics
Do any spine physicians post grandfather period have jobs at academic institutions? I know it is hard regarding credentialing. Is it still possible and do hospitals go on a case by case basis?

#2 Certification
Related to first, I know some physicians have taken alternative pain boards (ABPM) to become “board certified” in pain in hopes of becoming credentialed. I know recognition varies state to state. Is anyone or has anyone done this and landed a job at an academic institution?

#3 Private Practice
While it tends to be the norm, do you find private practice groups are suddenly increasing their criteria for credentialing as well? Do you find it a trend that more groups are requiring ACGME fellowship to be employed?

If any Interventional spine physicians are able to give feedback, or share what their practice may look like it would be gratefully appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This won’t be a thread based on pain vs spine which has been done ad nauseam. It’s only to get any folks who went the Interventional spine
route and what you have dealt with in the job market.

I got into an Interventional spine program and mine is at an academic institution. Obviously unaccredited, but was wondering if anyone had answers regarding a few topics. Now that the grandfathered period has since lapsed spine docs are not able to sit for the pain or sports boards unless completed a 12 month ACGME pain or sports fellowship. This thread is targeted to recent grads post 2011 after the grandfather period.

#1 Academics
Do any spine physicians post grandfather period have jobs at academic institutions? I know it is hard regarding credentialing. Is it still possible and do hospitals go on a case by case basis?

#2 Certification
Related to first, I know some physicians have taken alternative pain boards (ABPM) to become “board certified” in pain in hopes of becoming credentialed. I know recognition varies state to state. Is anyone or has anyone done this and landed a job at an academic institution?

#3 Private Practice
While it tends to be the norm, do you find private practice groups are suddenly increasing their criteria for credentialing as well? Do you find it a trend that more groups are requiring ACGME fellowship to be employed?

If any Interventional spine physicians are able to give feedback, or share what their practice may look like it would be gratefully appreciated.

search pain forum and post there