Medical The Fauci Effect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As I write this, I am listening in the background to an interview of Dr. Anthony Fauci by Dr. Sanjay Gupta through the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Fauci’s leadership (along with that of other physicians and epidemiologists) has apparently prompted what news outlets are calling the Fauci Effect, an 18% increase in the number of applications to medical school this year. I find this ...

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Finkel, thanks for the post.

This may be a controversial take but I do not think there is such a thing as a Fauci effect as he himself points out in the article. The 18% increase in the number of applicants to medical school this year can not be due to inspiration from COVID (i.e. similar to 9/11 military recruitment) because, as you know, there are many things applicants need to have lined up to participate in the AMCAS. The MCAT takes months to study for, pre-requisite course work needs to be completed, volunteer experiences and clinical experiences are needed, and many do research. The majority of that could not have been done from scratch from March 2020 to the summer of 2020 when the application season opens especially with prometric cancellations and hospital volunteer positions discontinued. I think one factor for the increase is as NPR admittedly points out near the end of their article people is that people who were already planning on applying soon could take their MCAT in the free time they had during the stay at home phase and were able to apply this year instead of the next and many redirected time from work to their medical school applications with student loans being frozen, etc.

Now regarding Boston University, I'm a bit removed from the medical school application process but back when I was applying it was one of the most applied to medical schools in the nation. I can see why as it has a great reputation, is in a city with opportunities for young professionals, and has a holistic admissions process with a mission for helping the underserved that many applicants have come to respect. Compound that with the fact that interviews are all virtual and applicants no longer have to worry about the $500+ expense to go to Boston, get a hotel, etc. and that applicants realize that more people are applying nationally and feel they need to apply created a vicious cycle is what accounts for the statistic that Boston University is sharing.

I just felt it was a bit disingenuous for NPR to create this notion ("Fauci Effect") that young graduates saw what happened during COVID, did a 180, and applied to medical school. I think it diminishes the amount of work it takes before one can apply to medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I agree with much of what you say. You would be surprised, though, how many applicants who have prepared for years for a pre-med application change their minds. While lining things up is necessary, it's not always enough to keep a student on track (which is not necessarily a bad thing: Oftentimes, it's a professional disaster averted.) So, while you are absolutely right that it took years of planning by those who applied this year, many folks who had prepared could have pivoted when they saw that being a doctor has become potentially fatal. Maybe that's a different, complementary point, but it is the one that has surprised me the most.

Bottom line: I have been amazed that so many folks are still choosing medicine, considering what has transpired this year. After all, burnout rates among physicians were tremendously high already. It brings me hope about humanity that so many students didn't turn away when they saw what being a doctor (and nurse, etc.) entails.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I hope you stay safe in your professional capacity.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I agree with much of what you say. You would be surprised, though, how many applicants who have prepared for years for a pre-med application change their minds. While lining things up is necessary, it's not always enough to keep a student on track (which is not necessarily a bad thing: Oftentimes, it's a professional disaster averted.) So, while you are absolutely right that it took years of planning by those who applied this year, many folks who had prepared could have pivoted when they saw that being a doctor has become potentially fatal. Maybe that's a different, complementary point, but it is the one that has surprised me the most.

Bottom line: I have been amazed that so many folks are still choosing medicine, considering what has transpired this year. After all, burnout rates among physicians were tremendously high already. It brings me hope about humanity that so many students didn't turn away when they saw what being a doctor (and nurse, etc.) entails.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I hope you stay safe in your professional capacity.
Absolutely. I personally have been hearing stories about what prospective applicants and more recently medical students have been dealing with and hope something can be done to combat the burn out. Thank for reading my post Dr. Finkel! Likewise and please stay safe as well!.