Thank yous to reference letter writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am planning on giving my rec writers thank you letters, but was thinking I should also get them a small gift. I was wondering what would be appropriate for that. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you notes are definately a must. People really don't understand how far being cordial goest these days since there are a lot of people who neglect such things. I wrote thank you notes to every one of my letter writers. As far as a gift, I personally think that's a bit much. But, depending on your relationship with your letter writers, it could be appropriate. But I think that the thank you note is good enough, as long as it's personalized and well-written.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am planning on giving my rec writers thank you letters, but was thinking I should also get them a small gift. I was wondering what would be appropriate for that. Any suggestions?
NOT a good a idea. Just stick with the personal thank you card

How about an e-mail thank you note? would that ruin the whole purpose?

No, thats fine. Usually its advised to send an e-mail thank you note right after your interview, and then send a card thank you note later.

I sent two rounds of thank-you emails. The first was soon after they were all received by my pre-med advisor, and the second was after I was accepted. I think the important thing is to communicate how genuinely thankful you are for their help. Some people are more traditional, though and might appreciate a card in the mail.

i'm curious about this myself.
i gave thank you letters to my three recommenders and sent a thank-you email when i got in. now i'm about to ask them all to write me more letters for scholarships and was debating if i should get something besides (another) thank-you card?

I sent my letter writers gifts, a gift card to a restaurant. Two said nothing, one thanked me and said it wasn't necessary, and one wanted to take me to the restaurant.

They have all helped me a lot throughout my career though and written other letters for me.