thank you letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superstar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should you send thank you notes to all of the people you have interviewed with in addition to the program director? When and to whom do you mention that you have a strong interest in the program? What language do you use? "one of my top choices", "very strong interest", "top choice", etc. If you've applied to very competitive programs, your fourth or fifth choice is still a top program that you'd love to go to- what do you tell them? "You're my fifth choice, but that not bad considering my top 4 are Hopkins, MGH, Duke and SF?"

Members don't see this ad.

Do you plan on putting "one of my top choices" on every one of your letters?

Consider how many letters Hopkins, MGH, etc. receive where individuals claim they are one of their top choices. Heck every thank you letter probably says that! Top places usually are ranked as top choices by nearly everyone. (There are exceptions though.)

Be original. That's all I can say. Of course I haven't went through the match yet, but it doesn't take someone going through the match to suggest that you be original. Come up with your own thing and stick to it. Uniqueness is what separates humans from monkeys. (That's NOT intended to be an insult, by the way.)

Guys...

there's a 2 page thread on this very topic over in the General Residency Issues forum. Since this topic is not of only import to surgical training, I'll refer y'all to the other forum and close this thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.