Texas A&M vs. UT San Antonio vs. UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star-Lord

Legendary Outlaw
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get other people's perspectives on them, especially current dental students attending one of these schools.

NOTE: Because of scholarships, the difference between the most expensive and the cheapest is less than 25K, so price doesn't make much of a difference.

Things of interest to me:
- Good place for a family
- Curriculum
- Opportunities to specialize
- Culture of the school (treat us like peers vs students)
- Facilities - As long as they are not run down or feel like the Slytherin dungeons
- Being able to have some free time every once in a while

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on getting OOS to Texas! Definitely not easy.

So I can pitch in for A&M...

1. Don't have kids but quite a few people in our class do. Dallas schools aren't the best (from what I've heard, but you definitely should look into it more).
2. Curriculum is definitely outdated here. San Antonio has a more modern approach for sure. However, we all learn the same stuff for the most part and most of the profs here are pretty cool. Clinics are more important and from what I've heard (still a D1) we are pretty solid in that area. Lots of patients.
3. I'm not specializing so I won't comment on OMFS
4. Our building is old AF (but clean which is nice. No leaky ceilings or anything like that). It gets the job done and honestly it doesn't bother me at all. I thought it would at first. However, we are getting a brand new clinic. San Antonio is the same for the most part but our clinic/school is much closer and definitely walking distance of each other which is a great perk. For SA you have to take a shuttle which can get annoying. You'll probably spend 2 years in the basement and 2 years in the new clinic. Same for SA.
5. Free time is there if you want it to be but will be very hard to balance if you're going for OMFS and have a family. However we do have nice parks nearby and a few gyms. We also have a student lounge that I spend more time in that I should playing ping pong.

Last thing that's important is safety. We are smack dab in Downtown and it can definitely get kind of sketchy sometimes if you're walking alone. We have a great security staff but they can only do so much.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t know about Texas schools but I would vouch for Chapel Hill (UNC). I know married people with kids that attend UNC med and dental school there.
They live in Southern Village. Students take the free bus from there to the campus. There’s a good elementary school there that parents/kids walk to. There are more nice places but I’m only familiar with this one.
The campus is nice, the school is new (2012?), and the whole environment (faculty and students) is very professional yet laid back.
Not sure about OMFS placement or the curriculum but others can chime in about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have lived in San Antonio for 12 years. San Antonio is the smallest big city I know (big city with small city feel). The school is within city limits but is nowhere near downtown. You could live comfortably outside the 1604 loop where major development is occurring, but there is also very reputable housing within the loop. Living inside would greatly shorten your commute if you have to travel during rush hour. North - Northwest side right outside 1604 you're looking at a 20-30 min commute at peak rush hour. The Northside and Northeast school districts are top notch from elementary through highschool with plenty of sports opportunity.

Congrats! How did you get into schools that are so anti-out of state students? Esp San Antonio, I think I saw somewhere that they only accept 1 OOS student/ year...

Congrats! How did you get into schools that are so anti-out of state students? Esp San Antonio, I think I saw somewhere that they only accept 1 OOS student/ year...

Thanks. To be honest, I have no idea haha San Antonio had 5 OOS students according to the ADEA book.

1. Don't have kids but quite a few people in our class do. Dallas schools aren't the best (from what I've heard, but you definitely should look into it more).
2. Curriculum is definitely outdated here. San Antonio has a more modern approach for sure. However, we all learn the same stuff for the most part and most of the profs here are pretty cool. Clinics are more important and from what I've heard (still a D1) we are pretty solid in that area. Lots of patients.
4. Our building is old AF (but clean which is nice. No leaky ceilings or anything like that). It gets the job done and honestly it doesn't bother me at all. I thought it would at first. However, we are getting a brand new clinic. San Antonio is the same for the most part but our clinic/school is much closer and definitely walking distance of each other which is a great perk. For SA you have to take a shuttle which can get annoying. You'll probably spend 2 years in the basement and 2 years in the new clinic. Same for SA.
5. Free time is there if you want it to be but will be very hard to balance if you're going for OMFS and have a family. However we do have nice parks nearby and a few gyms. We also have a student lounge that I spend more time in that I should playing ping pong.

Last thing that's important is safety. We are smack dab in Downtown and it can definitely get kind of sketchy sometimes if you're walking alone. We have a great security staff but they can only do so much.

How do you feel about the extra lab work? Is it beneficial or more of a nuisance?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel like adding on to this comment.

1.) The schools in Dallas proper aren't the greatest, but if you live in the suburbs (Allen, Plano, McKinney, Frisco) they are great. As he mentioned, we have quite a few students with kids and they haven't had any complaints, and i know of at least one who commutes from a far out suburb in with no problems.

2.) As @aggietxdent brought up, it is easy to call our curriculum outdated, but I personally don't know if i agree with that. We take all of our didactic material first year, and complete boards in the summer after D1, so because of this our courses are basically all board prep classes. It's easy to say that I wish our DA was updated more frequently (it is from like 2012) or that our other classes are boring, but our boards pass rates are excellent because they keep the formula that works, and they'll add in topics that they hear come up on the recent board exams as well.

@aggietxdent didn't like anatomy too much, but i actually really enjoyed doing the full body dissections, it has definitely been one of the most interesting things i have ever done in my life.

A lot of other schools are moving towards a more interwoven curriculum, and we are as well. I forget when it is being implemented but it might be as early as this next year, or the one after. The reason the curriculum changes are occurring is because of the mixed boards that are in the works, obviously my year doesn't have to worry about that so i don't see the benefit in changing up the curriculum now tbh, makes much more sense to wait until the next year or two.

3.) the guy i am renting my place from is currently a first year OMFS resident, and he claims that A&M prepared him very well for getting into his residency.

4.) Culture of the school - honestly, our class is very entertaining and fun, and the classes above us are always willing to go above and beyond to make sure we have all the things we need and are surviving. The professors are great for the most part, and definitely treat us like equals. There are 2-3 professors i don't like... but i don't really go to class so it doesn't affect me much tbh. I would definitely say the culture here has impressed me more than i thought it would. When I was in your position last year i was choosing between the 3 Texas schools. My choice came down to Houston and A&M because of warnings with San Antonio's culture. San Antonio just seemed really rigid to me and I didn't like how competitive it seemed there. If someone from SA chimes in they can clear this up though. Professors are great though, just wanted to reiterate that.

5.) School is pretty ugly.... not gonna lie. the new clinic should be finished by the second semester of your D2 year, and the current building isn't like so ugly you will be depressed everyday, but it definitely feels like it was designed in the 70's, because it was. The labs are better than i thought they would be coming in though, and like he said above, we spend most of our time in the ping-pong room so it really doesn't matter much.

6.) I personally feel like I have a lot of free time, but it also depends on your goals. I will say there are definitely a few people who hang out a lot still and go to events and are maintaining a 4.0 (or close) as well. If you want free-time to just chill with your family, it seems like the parents are the ones doing the best in our class. They come in, do their work, and head home. You basically determine how long you want to be here, other than during lab days.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are looking for a city where you can have fun when you aren't at school or home, Dallas definitely beats San Antonio and UNC to me.

If there are any other questions you have let me know, I am trying really hard not to study for finals.

One thing that is a big PITA is our grading scale here.

70-74 = D

75-79 = C

80-83 = C+

84-89 = B

90-92 = B+

93-100 = A

That being said, the averages on a lot of the exams is like a 94-6, occasionally it dips to like an 86-87 so it's not as if it is reeeeeaallly difficult to get an A, you just have to consistently work hard the whole semester for one.

How do you feel about the extra lab work? Is it beneficial or more of a nuisance?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well we are D1's in our first semester, so other than a bunch of waxing we aren't really doing any lab work.

I've heard from other people though that the lab work doesn't really benefit them much. They always do praise the clinical experience they get here though, we do a LOT in our clinic so they always talk about how prepared they felt compared to other graduates when they work with them or go to a residency.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like adding on to this comment.

1.) The schools in Dallas proper aren't the greatest, but if you live in the suburbs (Allen, Plano, McKinney, Frisco) they are great. As he mentioned, we have quite a few students with kids and they haven't had any complaints, and i know of at least one who commutes from a far out suburb in with no problems.

2.) As @aggietxdent brought up, it is easy to call our curriculum outdated, but I personally don't know if i agree with that. We take all of our didactic material first year, and complete boards in the summer after D1, so because of this our courses are basically all board prep classes. It's easy to say that I wish our DA was updated more frequently (it is from like 2012) or that our other classes are boring, but our boards pass rates are excellent because they keep the formula that works, and they'll add in topics that they hear come up on the recent board exams as well.

@aggietxdent didn't like anatomy too much, but i actually really enjoyed doing the full body dissections, it has definitely been one of the most interesting things i have ever done in my life.

A lot of other schools are moving towards a more interwoven curriculum, and we are as well. I forget when it is being implemented but it might be as early as this next year, or the one after. The reason the curriculum changes are occurring is because of the mixed boards that are in the works, obviously my year doesn't have to worry about that so i don't see the benefit in changing up the curriculum now tbh, makes much more sense to wait until the next year or two.

3.) the guy i am renting my place from is currently a first year OMFS resident, and he claims that A&M prepared him very well for getting into his residency.

4.) Culture of the school - honestly, our class is very entertaining and fun, and the classes above us are always willing to go above and beyond to make sure we have all the things we need and are surviving. The professors are great for the most part, and definitely treat us like equals. There are 2-3 professors i don't like... but i don't really go to class so it doesn't affect me much tbh. I would definitely say the culture here has impressed me more than i thought it would. When I was in your position last year i was choosing between the 3 Texas schools. My choice came down to Houston and A&M because of warnings with San Antonio's culture. San Antonio just seemed really rigid to me and I didn't like how competitive it seemed there. If someone from SA chimes in they can clear this up though. Professors are great though, just wanted to reiterate that.

5.) School is pretty ugly.... not gonna lie. the new clinic should be finished by the second semester of your D2 year, and the current building isn't like so ugly you will be depressed everyday, but it definitely feels like it was designed in the 70's, because it was. The labs are better than i thought they would be coming in though, and like he said above, we spend most of our time in the ping-pong room so it really doesn't matter much.

6.) I personally feel like I have a lot of free time, but it also depends on your goals. I will say there are definitely a few people who hang out a lot still and go to events and are maintaining a 4.0 (or close) as well. If you want free-time to just chill with your family, it seems like the parents are the ones doing the best in our class. They come in, do their work, and head home. You basically determine how long you want to be here, other than during lab days.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are looking for a city where you can have fun when you aren't at school or home, Dallas definitely beats San Antonio and UNC to me.

If there are any other questions you have let me know, I am trying really hard not to study for finals.

One thing that is a big PITA is our grading scale here.

70-74 = D

75-79 = C

80-83 = C+

84-89 = B

90-92 = B+

93-100 = A

That being said, the averages on a lot of the exams is like a 94-6, occasionally it dips to like an 86-87 so it's not as if it is reeeeeaallly difficult to get an A, you just have to consistently work hard the whole semester for one.

Well we are D1's in our first semester, so other than a bunch of waxing we aren't really doing any lab work.

I've heard from other people though that the lab work doesn't really benefit them much. They always do praise the clinical experience they get here though, we do a LOT in our clinic so they always talk about how prepared they felt compared to other graduates when they work with them or go to a residency.

Hey thanks so much for taking the time to write that, that was helpful.