Tennis and a career in surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Smexy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming med student and just a regular guy who loves tennis. I don't play at the competitive level often (one or two local tournaments every now and then) but practice on a weekly basis. I've know a few surgeons who quit tennis because their hands are too important for risking an injury (due to the fact that tennis is a tough sport and injuries to the wrist, hands, and fingers are common). Do I have to give up tennis to have a career in ENT? I love the sport too much and the thought of not being able to play it anymore might be my worst nightmare. Any attending or resident that can shed light on the possibilities of continue playing tennis during residency and when one becomes an attending?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an incoming med student and just a regular guy who loves tennis. I don't play at the competitive level often (one or two local tournaments every now and then) but practice on a weekly basis. I've know a few surgeons who quit tennis because their hands are too important for risking an injury (due to the fact that tennis is a tough sport and injuries to the wrist, hands, and fingers are common). Do I have to give up tennis to have a career in ENT? I love the sport too much and the thought of not being able to play it anymore might be my worst nightmare. Any attending or resident that can shed light on the possibilities of continue playing tennis during residency and when one becomes an attending?
You do know what ENT stands for? Early Nights and Tennis. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
uh, no, you don't have to quit tennis unless you're using grenades.

Reactions: 1 user