Temple / LKSOM Post-Bacc ACMS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StripedTie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I couldn't find a thread for the 2019 - 2020 class at the Temple / LKSOM Post-Bacc program so I thought I'd start one.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well apparently you cant re-use your LKSOM application from this cycle like you could in the past and have to fill out the POSTBACCAS. I filled it out and submitted it but now I can't get my letters of Rec to go through since the POSTBACCAS system apparently has a bunch of fill in questions that can't be skipped and thus I can't use the already stored letters I have from interfolio. Looks like I won't be applying now since I can't ask my rec writers to redo their letters again. I called the admissions office and apparently they simply won't accept letters of rec any other way other then through the POSTBACCAS. Seems like a sneaky way of reducing the amount of applicants to the program since everyone knows it was growing every year, but totally screws over everyone who applied this cycle. Don't admissions offices know that most of our letter writers are busy PHDs who don't have time to submit our recs over and over again?

Way to make the already difficult process of getting into medical school even harder Temple.

Well apparently you cant re-use your LKSOM application from this cycle like you could in the past and have to fill out the POSTBACCAS. I filled it out and submitted it but now I can't get my letters of Rec to go through since the POSTBACCAS system apparently has a bunch of fill in questions that can't be skipped and thus I can't use the already stored letters I have from interfolio. Looks like I won't be applying now since I can't ask my rec writers to redo their letters again. I called the admissions office and apparently they simply won't accept letters of rec any other way other then through the POSTBACCAS. Seems like a sneaky way of reducing the amount of applicants to the program since everyone knows it was growing every year, but totally screws over everyone who applied this cycle. Don't admissions offices know that most of our letter writers are busy PHDs who don't have time to submit our recs over and over again?

Way to make the already difficult process of getting into medical school even harder Temple.

Really I had the same issue with another SMP program but they let me send the LORs via interfolio to their office email. That really sucks. The ACMS program seems really good but has a lot of strict requirements on the website.

Last edited:

Do you know if we can reuse our AMCAS PS, activity descriptions, and responses from the secondary app?

Do you know if we can reuse our AMCAS PS, activity descriptions, and responses from the secondary app?

I called them to ask that very question and they said yes you can and that it is also expected.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for sharing. Did they say anything about the converse (i.e. revisions to the PS)?
They did not, however I did phrase my question asking if they expected something different from the PS, to which they gave me the above answer.

Since this is their first year using PostBacCAS, I assume that having 2 very similar prompts is a quirk that they did not anticipate.

I have a couple of questions. I am looking to apply for some Post-bac programs, particularly UCSD, Georgetown, and Temple. I have a GPA of 3.5, 509 MCAT. I applied to medical schools this cycle, but do not think I will end up anywhere. Some of the programs, like this one, use the PostBacCAS application. Since I applied to some DO schools, I already filled out the AACOMAS application. Here are my questions:
1) Is it possible to transfer the information from the AACOMAS application to the PostBacCAS information, as everything is pretty much the same?

2) For the personal statement, can I reuse the same essay as the one on my AACOMAS?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

I have a couple of questions. I am looking to apply for some Post-bac programs, particularly UCSD, Georgetown, and Temple. I have a GPA of 3.5, 509 MCAT. I applied to medical schools this cycle, but do not think I will end up anywhere. Some of the programs, like this one, use the PostBacCAS application. Since I applied to some DO schools, I already filled out the AACOMAS application. Here are my questions:
1) Is it possible to transfer the information from the AACOMAS application to the PostBacCAS information, as everything is pretty much the same?

2) For the personal statement, can I reuse the same essay as the one on my AACOMAS?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Hey!
1) I just copy and pasted the content from my AACOMAS application to the PostBacCas website. I dont think there is a way to "transfer" everything over. It's annoying but doesn't take too much time as you already have all of the information they require.

2) As for the personal statement, I noticed PostBacCas has their own personal statement and then Temple asks to describe our motivation and decision to pursue a career in medicine. Aren't both prompts basically asking the same thing? I'm reusing my personal statement from AACOMAS, but do we have to write an additional one? Or can we reuse our essay to answer both questions? I know this doesn't answer your question lol sorry

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Cant you ask your writers to upload the letter to PostBacCas if they still have your letter stored somewhere? That’s what I did and my writers just had to upload their letters to the portal.

Do you guys know of people who applied and got an interview without sending their MCAT scores yet?

I am rescheduling to take my MCAT (haven't yet taken it before) but then my scores won't come in till after May 1st (due to test date availability) which is when applications close. While it isn't a requirement for people to apply with their scores, it appears as though most of the people who were accepted in the past had sent in their scores so I'm wondering if it's even worth it at all.

Do you guys know of people who applied and got an interview without sending their MCAT scores yet?

I am rescheduling to take my MCAT (haven't yet taken it before) but then my scores won't come in till after May 1st (due to test date availability) which is when applications close. While it isn't a requirement for people to apply with their scores, it appears as though most of the people who were accepted in the past had sent in their scores so I'm wondering if it's even worth it at all.

So around 50% of people in the program don't have the requisite MCAT score. There's a mix of people who have taken it and didn't get a high enough score and some who have never taken it at all. I do not have the numbers, but I think most people have taken it at least once in the past. People who never took it are in the minority. Getting the requisite MCAT score before the program is absolutely worth it. It is a huge stress to study for the classes while studying for the MCAT. Not having to worry about the MCAT is hugely beneficial. So, I'd say its worth it. It may be too late to have the program consider your MCAT score, but if you get into the program and get the requisite score, it'll help!.

Does anyone know when we would be hearing back for interviews? I applied in early december and still haven't heard anything.

So around 50% of people in the program don't have the requisite MCAT score. There's a mix of people who have taken it and didn't get a high enough score and some who have never taken it at all. I do not have the numbers, but I think most people have taken it at least once in the past. People who never took it are in the minority. Getting the requisite MCAT score before the program is absolutely worth it. It is a huge stress to study for the classes while studying for the MCAT. Not having to worry about the MCAT is hugely beneficial. So, I'd say its worth it. It may be too late to have the program consider your MCAT score, but if you get into the program and get the requisite score, it'll help!.

Thanks so much for your answer! This was extremely helpful and also encouraging to know that not everyone who has been accepted has the requisite MCAT score. I definitely agree with you about how much better it would be to have the qualifying MCAT score prior to joining the program!

Hopefully as long as I indicate that I will be taking the MCAT in beginning of April, they will consider me and not automatically reject. My SAT scores are pretty strong but the SAT is not MCAT and my GPA isn't great.

IIs don’t go out until March/April

Wow that seems pretty late.

Do you know how rolling admissions work in their case? Do they review and send out IIs beginning with people who applied earlier?

HI- Does it say this somewhere or did you ask? Thanks for the information
I've read threads from previous years and it seems like the earliest II's go out is in february so I would assume it's the same this year. I just don't understand the purpose of rolling admission if the II go out so late.

I've read threads from previous years and it seems like the earliest II's go out is in february so I would assume it's the same this year. I just don't understand the purpose of rolling admission if the II go out so late.
That is for BCMS, not ACMS. They don't conduct ACMS interviews until BCMS ones are complete. Temple's postbacc site also has application timelines

Also, scroll to post #26 on Temple Post Bacc ACMS 2017

Last edited:
So for writing this application - PostBacCas has their own personal statement, but then Temple also asks for an essay describing our motivation/decision to pursue medicine. Are we expected to write 2 different statements for these two questions?

I just e-mailed them and they said it is perfectly acceptable to e-mail your letters from Interfolio to their e-mail postbac @ temple. It is also listed here on their site: Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program Requirements | Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University

I would check it out!

So for writing this application - PostBacCas has their own personal statement, but then Temple also asks for an essay describing our motivation/decision to pursue medicine. Are we expected to write 2 different statements for these two questions?

I called them in late November 2018 and they said you can re-use them. The redundant question was an unexpected quirk of switching from an independent application service to PostBacCAS this cycle.

Submitted my app today. 3.57/514 so hoping I can at least get an II, but at the same time hoping I don't have to wait until March/April to hear back. I accidentally submitted an application for ACHS and I feel bad because I didn't realize it ahead of time lol

Greetings all,

I couldn't find a thread for the 2019 - 2020 class at the Temple / LKSOM Post-Bacc program so I thought I'd start one.

Good luck to everyone applying!
Has anyone received an interview yet?

Hey y'all! How do you know when PostBacCAS submits your app to Temple? I see that my transcripts were "received and processed" by PostBacCAS yesterday.

Hey y'all! How do you know when PostBacCAS submits your app to Temple? I see that my transcripts were "received and processed" by PostBacCAS yesterday.

Nevermind, my question was answered when I got a verification email PostBacCAS and two emails from Temple that my required items were received :)

Submitted a few weeks ago! Anyone have insight into the timeline?

Hi! I know this is a shot in a dark, but would it be possible to apply with just below the 3.4 SGPA? I was trying to read the requirements on their site but it was written in a way that it was a suggestion for a typical applicant they prefer. What do you guys think?

Hi! I know this is a shot in a dark, but would it be possible to apply with just below the 3.4 SGPA? I was trying to read the requirements on their site but it was written in a way that it was a suggestion for a typical applicant they prefer. What do you guys think?

Its definitely possible, I got in with less than a 3.3 sGPA, but I also had a great MCAT and ECs

The linkage program states only need a 3.3 so I don’t see why not

The linkage program states only need a 3.3 so I don’t see why not
omg are you THE Kiwi from r/premed???
Thanks man! If you are, I hope you hear about that A soon <3 !

Its definitely possible, I got in with less than a 3.3 sGPA, but I also had a great MCAT and ECs
Thanks guys!

I haven't taken the MCAT (that was scored) yet, but I am proud of my ECs! I hope that can help somewhat! Thank you so much <3

go for it

Are you a current student in the program? If so, would you say a lot of people link to LKSOM? If I end up going into this program (or ACHS) it would be my goal to link. Not necessarily worried about the gpa aspect, more so if the staff/faculty want you to succeed to link to LKSOM

I've finished the program and am a Med student at Temple. You are expected to matriculate to LKSOM if you fulfilled the GPA/MCAT requirements. If you already have the requisite MCAT, you should be fine. Getting the 3.6 GPA is very doable. Professors and faculty want you to succeed and they are there to help!

Just to emphasize for everybody. Taking the MCAT while you are in the program can be very stressful. If you have the opportunity to try and get the requisite MCAT before the program, take it! It'll save you a lot of stress during the year.

I don't know too much about the ACHS program. From what I've heard, you should really do your homework and ask about the conditions of the linkage cause I've heard some shaky things about them.

I've finished the program and am a Med student at Temple. You are expected to matriculate to LKSOM if you fulfilled the GPA/MCAT requirements. If you already have the requisite MCAT, you should be fine. Getting the 3.6 GPA is very doable. Professors and faculty want you to succeed and they are there to help!

Just to emphasize for everybody. Taking the MCAT while you are in the program can be very stressful. If you have the opportunity to try and get the requisite MCAT before the program, take it! It'll save you a lot of stress during the year.

I don't know too much about the ACHS program. From what I've heard, you should really do your homework and ask about the conditions of the linkage cause I've heard some shaky things about them.

For sure, thanks for the feedback! Another question is are you retaking a lot of the same classes your first year as a medical student? If so do you feel like ACMS prepared you well for it? Also how were you able to finance it? Did loans cover tuition and COL?

Yeah I have already met the MCAT requirement so that’s definitely a load off my shoulders. I’m glad to hear that you were able to matriculate. Here’s to hoping we all hear good news from them!

For sure, thanks for the feedback! Another question is are you retaking a lot of the same classes your first year as a medical student? If so do you feel like ACMS prepared you well for it? Also how were you able to finance it? Did loans cover tuition and COL?

Yeah I have already met the MCAT requirement so that’s definitely a load off my shoulders. I’m glad to hear that you were able to matriculate. Here’s to hoping we all hear good news from them!
ACMS prepares you well for first year. Although you will still have to work hard during M1 because ACMS courses only cover a fraction of what you'll need to know. You can get federal loans to cover the costs of things.

Would you mind sharing your sGPA?
High 3.2s, but again also had greater than a 90th percentile MCAT and great ECs to balance it out.
I am not an official representative and I don't have specific knowledge about what exactly they look for, but just based on conjecture, if you have a s/cgpa in the 3.2/3.3 range, you should have other things that make you an attractive candidate.

High 3.2s, but again also had greater than a 90th percentile MCAT and great ECs to balance it out.
I am not an official representative and I don't have specific knowledge about what exactly they look for, but just based on conjecture, if you have a s/cgpa in the 3.2/3.3 range, you should have other things that make you an attractive candidate.
Thanks for the response. Do you remember when you submitted your application materials?

Thanks for the response. Do you remember when you submitted your application materials?

So I applied relatively late. Like Med school, its better to apply early (but don't rush at the expense of quality). I submitted in late April and heard back in 2ish weeks.

Oh man, I was looking at the program requirements - is the no less than 126 per section a hard rule or a soft one? I got a 510 with a 125 in CARS... I just really dont want to redo the MCAT again..

Hi betrexceed46, thank you for your feedback. Do you happen to know the number of people who apply to ACMS, the number of people interviewed, and post II acceptance rate?