This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pleco

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So situation is I have to pick between Temple and Upenn soon. I want to be a GP, Its what i already wanted, because i have to get out of school as quick as i can to support my family. Penn have given me 20k in scholarship which tuition and fees , is 4 k higher than temple now.

Temple didnt give any (right when you get admitted) scholarships and that suprised me since my metrics are higher than their accepted stats but yeah what can you do, they also said that the formal scholarships will not be offered until a couple weeks before you enroll. So you will have been commited far before you know how much it is.

I have gave Temple 2 grand for a deposit already and i will forfeit that if I choose Penn (another 1 k deposit).

Honestly what is better? Both are in state ,i will be commuting for both. Is there a difference in pay graduating from one of these schools? Does network, prestige actually matter?

Can i work harder at Penn to gain the same clinic exposure that Temple has? (my biggest concern)

btw i am very thankful for this community and really helps ppl like me get a honest take at schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Prestige doesn't matter if you're going into general dentistry. If the cost difference is 16k over 4 years, I'd go wherever you think you'd be happier. In the past I'd say Temple would've made you a better GD, but the new Dean at Penn is really pushing to make the school more clinically focused.

Reactions: 2 users
Prestige doesn't matter if you're going into general dentistry. If the cost difference is 16k over 4 years, I'd go wherever you think you'd be happier. In the past I'd say Temple would've made you a better GD, but the new Dean at Penn is really pushing to make the school more clinically focused.

really? that is so great to hear. I havent read any news on that. are they trying to change the curriculum?

The fact that you were offered a scholarship at Penn makes this decision harder. Normally Penn would be more expensive and I would say pick Temple just from a cost perspective (the most important thing imo).

With the scholarship in-play the costs between both schools come out to be about the same. If you change your mind down the road, it would be easier to specialize if you went to Penn because of their higher match rates . I am not saying that students at Temple don't specialize, Temple seems like a very clinically focused school with a large patient pool, all these factors would probably make you a strong GP.

You could argue that Penn is in a marginally better area than Temple (W Philly vs N Philly), but since you are commuting that may not matter as much.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could argue that Penn is in a marginally better area than Temple (W Philly vs N Philly), but since you are commuting that may not matter as much.
Marginally better? I’m sorry but West Philly is A LOT better than North Philly. With Penn, Drexel and USciences all being sandwiched right next to each other, there’s lots of security walking/biking around 24/7. That’s not to say nothing ever happens, but I frequently walk home from the dental school at 2-3 am and I’ve never seen anything happen. You can’t do that in North Philly lol.

Marginally better? I’m sorry but West Philly is A LOT better than North Philly. With Penn, Drexel and USciences all being sandwiched right next to each other, there’s lots of security walking/biking around 24/7. That’s not to say nothing ever happens, but I frequently walk home from the dental school at 2-3 am and I’ve never seen anything happen. You can’t do that in North Philly lol.

Another good point. I used to work in the rougher parts of town when i was younger and I rather not go back. And i dont want to deal with the midnight subways. If Kornberg was in the main temple campus, this wouldnt be a problem, but its a far walk to the train station and there isnt much around the school i think.