Temple BCHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simp4MedSk00l

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to apply to Temple BCHS program for Summer 2020. I took Gen Bio with Lab twice in undergrad - did poorly. I took Gen Chem twice in undergrad - did poorly. I took physics once in undergrad - did poorly. This was almost 2 years ago. I have EXTENSIVE clinical experience and could probably get stellar rec letters from MD + DO. Since i graduated, I took 2 basic science courses and got A's in both of them, so I could get rec letters from them as well. I plan to take my GRE this coming October to prove that I'm still capable of doing well on standardized tests and have good study habits. My concern is that my horrific won't even let me be considered for the program. Any idea of how difficult it is to get into the program or if I should just not bother applying?

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to know if you qualify is to talk to the admissions team. Generally speaking, these career-changer post-bacc programs are for people who have not taken the science pre-reqs, or taken very few of them.

From the FAQ on the Temple BCHS page:
If I have already have taken some of the prerequisite courses offered in the Basic Core track, can I still apply?
It depends on multiple variables, such as how many courses you have taken, when you took the course(s), what grade(s) you received. Once you apply, we will review your entire portfolio to make a decision.

I would email them to see if you would be qualified for the program.

I've been in contact with them, and they're very encouraging that I should apply. However, they haven't really taken a look at my transcript to see exactly how bad it might be and I feel encouraging me to apply means they still get the application fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's kind of the thing with the post-bacc programs.... They do look at your record holistically. I would not just apply to Temple though. I would apply broadly through PostBacCAS if this is the type of program you are interested in.

hmh, I agree. I intend to apply broadly. With my stats, I don't even think a postbacc would help much. However, I feel the advantage of a postbacc would be the linkages they offer? Any feedback on that or no?

The advantages of formal, structured programs are the advising, MCAT prep, slightly easier coursework (varies by program), and cooperative learning environment. You would show and upward trend if you did well in the program.

The disadvantages are the low acceptances rates of the programs and the cost; compared to a do-it-yourself post-bacc it is very expensive. But I think it is worth the price for an increased chance of medical school acceptance.

What is your overall GPA?

I have taken Bio (retaken once), Chem (retaken twice) and physics 1. I retook the first two because I did VERY poorly, and even after I retook them - I didn't do too well. Physics I also did not do too well. My sGPS is < 2.0 and my cumulative GPA is ~2.5 because of all the retakes and such. It's really not easy to share those stats, but if I really want to pursue my passion then I have to be honest.

It's because of these stats that I feel like even a postbacc might not help me much. But, I still have hope. I know some of these postbacc programs offer linkages and I think that would be my best bet. I think PCOM specifically cares more about a postbacc GPA and is willing to overlook an undergrad sGPA, of course everything else in the application has to be solid. My advantage currently is that I have not yet taken the MCAT and still have Biochem + orgo to take.

If a postbacc doesn't take me this coming fall, then I was thinking about doing a DIY postbacc at a school near me (hopefully complete it in a year) and then hopefully my stats would be a little better to be considered for a MS program. That way I could take higher level classes, study for the MCAT and really show med schools that I'm really trying to attract their attention. I know this means ~2 + years until I get accepted to med school (maybe more), but I'm not really very concerned with how long it will take me.

Status
Not open for further replies.