TCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JONM

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion of TCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Dave, I'm wondering how your students are doing in the match process for competitive residencies such as Surgery, ER, Opthalmology, etc...

Do you recommend taking the USMLE for those students who are going to be in the new integrative curriculum or is this curriculum designed for questions on the Osteopathic boards? (COMLEX?) Also, is it wise to take both?

How much freedom are you given during your clinical years? Can you rotate or do electives at JPS?

Thanks for any info.
JON

Hi Dave, I'm wondering how your students are doing in the match process for competitive residencies such as Surgery, ER, Opthalmology, etc...

***I think that we do well in the match; at least as well as other DO schools or perhaps a little better. Last few year we had students match at a couple of MD/military residencies for surgery as well as at DO residencies. Ditto for ER. Don't know about ophthamology...

Do you recommend taking the USMLE for those students who are going to be in the new integrative curriculum or is this curriculum designed for questions on the Osteopathic boards? (COMLEX?) Also, is it wise to take both?

***Our administration encourages students to sit for both the COMLEX and the USMLE. They are quite forward thinking on that issue. All students must pass the COMLEX to advance to clinicals. The USMLE scores are for your own edification and/or future residency plans. The integrative curriculum (of which I've seen little bits and pieces already) is going to be great for both exams. The USMLE is emphasizing integrated case presentation material more and more every year.

How much freedom are you given during your clinical years? Can you rotate or do electives at JPS?

***All core rotations must be completed locally at 8 affiliated hospitals, including JPS. Those core placements are assigned by lottery. Students can request to do IM and psych at JPS, but the ultimate assignment is by lottery. Some electives can be done there too. Basically, you can do electives anywhere you wish, but all cores must be completed locally or at other AOA approved teaching hospitals in the country.

All in all, I think that TCOM's clinical education is among the strongest in the country. Still, we contend with the same issues that all DO schools that aren't in the Northeast contend with: Geographically limited clinical education opportunities.

You do know that there is a 285 bed osteopathic teaching hospital right across the street from TCOM, don't you? It's a handy thing to have in your backyard!

Hope that helps.

--dave

[This message has been edited by drusso (edited 02-18-99).]