Employment & Professional Networking Tattoos as an Occupational Therapist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOT17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I know that generally speaking, tattoos are frowned upon. However, I know that this is changing as they become more mainstream.

Does anyone have experience with having tattoos as an OT/OT student? Anyone know of program regulations?

Simply curious on where the field stands. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm 1st year OT student and have a fairly large tattoo on the left side of my chest/part of my arm. Planning on extending it to either a half or a quarter sleeve! We started classes over the summer so I wore tank tops a lot during class and none of the other students or instructors seemed to mind, a few were surprised when they first saw it, but I didn't get reprimanded or talked to about it. The main thing, as im sure the case with any career, is to keep them covered during your fieldwork and (in the future) job site.

I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience with it. My mother, sisters and I are all getting a tattoo next weekend and I am torn on where to get it. I am leaning towards the side of my foot, but I won't be able to see it a lot. I'm not sure what I will end up doing. I kind of wanted it on my wrist, but I do not like wearing watches so covering it would be difficult.