Tattoos and Orthopedics Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ttubule

Ortho resident
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I’ve seen this discussed a bit here and there on SDN but it’s hard to parse out who is really giving their opinion so I’d love to hear from ortho residents attending a if possible.

I’m a third year shooting for ortho, and so far on track to have a pretty solid application (250+ step 1, tons of ortho research and presentations, built great relationships with lots of our attendings and residents, etc).

I also have a few visible tattoos (half sleeve on one arm and a couple forearm tattoos). Nothing wildly offensive or poorly done, and I generally do my best to cover them up when I can with either a long sleeve under my scrubs or an OR jacket, mostly because I would hate to make any patient uncomfortable (and when they’re covered up I look like I’d be showing up at your door to sell you on Mormonism, lol). I’ve asked a couple of our attendings and they’ve all basically said no one cares and seem surprised I’m asking, but I’m also at a fairly open minded program closer to the west coast.

Does anyone know of any ortho residents/attendings with tattoos, or of anyone who has had specific problems at any residency programs over them?

Thanks all! Really appreciate your insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently attend a residency where they would care but if you did a good job or interviewed well, they would be willing to overlook it. At my program though, they want everyone clean shaven at all times unless on ortho truama.

Reactions: 1 user
I currently attend a residency where they would care but if you did a good job or interviewed well, they would be willing to overlook it. At my program though, they want everyone clean shaven at all times unless on ortho truama.
I have a follow-up question: should I do my best to keep them covered on away rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the reply!

That’s sort of what I’ve been wondering-if I kick ass on my subI and/or interview well and have a solid app overall, if there are programs that would be like “Na I saw that guy had a forearm tattoo when he was scrubbing in.. NEXT!” Lol

Like I said I try to keep them covered regardless since I don’t want to make older patients uncomfortable but there’s those times that you just can’t around the OR.

For an overall reply:

My viewpoint is - are the tattoos a part of who you are? I presume they are because they are permanent and you have them on self. Do you want to hide your true self and reveal yourself to the program slowly when/if you match there or do you want to match at that program knowing that they took you for you?

It's an individual decision.

Reactions: 1 user