Targeted Med School Programs Could Alleviate Rural Physician Shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Janitor

I hate Scooter Pies.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the AAFP:

U.S. medical schools could significantly increase the number of rural physicians by establishing programs that encourage physicians to practice in rural areas, according to a report in the March issue of Academic Medicine.

The study, conducted by researchers in the department of family and community medicine at the Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, found that the nation's medical schools could more than double the number of physicians choosing rural practice annually by creating rural physician programs that would turn out as few as 10 students per class.

Full article here.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. That study was authored by the med school I'm going to AND I'm interested in rural medicine -- it's like your speaking just to me, Janitor...

Anyway, only 3% go to small towns or rural areas? That seems awfully low, since plenty of people are sick of cities -- am I missing some incredibly salient and distasteful fact about rural practice?

Besides repayment programs (state, federal, hospital..etc.) it would be nice if med-schools would help alleviate some of the educational costs that graduates face. I know that this is something that even FP docs in cities face, but I think it would help recruit more graduates, especially those who don't want to do the NHSC. Maybe it wouldn't on the other hand? I also think schools should offer students more of a chance to get an exposure to rural medicine. I for one am lucky to have a program that has us do a rural/underserved rotation 3rd/4th year. I also guess people nowadays are drawn to the cities for entertainment, families, social scenes..etc. I for one can't wait until I get to leave the city next year for clinical rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what could alleviate rural physician shortage?

Money...

For instance... medicare could stop underpaying the same procedures done in rural centers vs urban academic centers.

Money...

For instance... medicare could stop underpaying the same procedures done in rural centers vs urban academic centers.

At least for me the more important thing is the cost of education. Coming out of school with ~$200-250K is quite a bit. I would rather have my tuition taken care of. I for one would be happy making $100-130K if my loans were taken care of. I don't really need much more than that to live a comfortable life.

It is interesting when you look at the schools that turn out the most rural physicians, a lot of them tend to be DO schools (5 of the top 15) where most students tend to graduate with more debt than their MD colleagues. http://www.unmc.edu/Community/ruralmeded/rank_rural_physicians_percent.htm. With the increasing cost of education, fewer and fewer students are going to be willing to go into FP.

Kansas (I go to KU) has a loan repayment program that is rather generous if you do rural primary care in Kansas. Unfortunately it's only for students at KU. KU Med also forces fourth year students to do a rural family practice rotation and has optional rural rotations for third year students (in a variety of fields).

Does any one know anything about the University of Iowa's rural track (family medicine residency) in Pella, Iowa? Thats located real close to where I grew up and where most of my family lives. I'd love to go back there...

Money...

The interesting thinge is how many med students/physicians reflexively believe that the care at urban academic centers must be better than that of rural centers. It's a bias that is perpetuated because it is perpetuated, not necessarily because it has any truth to it. Dare I call it "Metrocentrism"?