TALK to the admissions people (or, why being an introvert may have screwed me again)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtreese

Caramel Gollum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A buddy convinced me to go talk to the admissions people at UofL today -- not too big a deal since they're 3 blocks from my office. I hadn't gotten a secondary from them & was thinking, "WTF?" Good thing I went there. They emailed me secondary info last week & I never got it. Yet another app. to fill out...

Members don't see this ad.

There seems to be a delicate balance with keeping in touch and becoming a pain. I am all for keeping in touch with the admissions office, showing sincere interest...but being over bearing will definately not be good.

My advice would be to try and find a friend in the admissions office...and b/s with...and you can call and speak with them.

I had many "friends" in the various offices of the schools I was applying...and it really ended up working well...as I had a plethora (hey...gotta love that MCAT verbal score) of acceptances..and contacts at the schools to boot.

Best of Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain...

I received an e-mail from XXX school saying my application was incomplete. I'm like great, I don't want to fill out any more paper work, I'm tired of the med school process, etc. etc. etc.

Turns out they had all the letters of recommendation and everything from me, but they weren't of the right substinance. Tey want 2 science LORs, and 1 anything else. I was told they will also use last year's (and the prior's LORs) too.

So I figured I don't want to send them repeat letters so I sent a LOR from two psychology professors that worked on my thesis with me and a LOR from a doctor I finally had the chacne to work with this summer.

Turns out those letters don't count :rolleyes:. She was very adament about getting 2 science LORs. Sorry but I've been away from my undergrad school for a couple years, and have no clue where one of them is at right now (overseas somewhere) and besides the science LORs I used in the past are outstanding.

Turns out they'll now be happy with one LOR from a science professor this year, so I called up my former prof and it's on it's way.

Hey at least they let me know my ap was incomplete...

Applying to med school is honestly like a full time you...you have to keep on top of EVERYONE...while at the same time not pissing them off...while you are all stressed out..

What a delicate balance indeed...

I am collecting letters of rec for internship/residency...and sadly its the same story...but now being on rotations...trying to get all this done...

Ahhh...how quickly it all came back to me...

Here I go...again...

:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:

how can you get past being an introvert?
part of me wants to call my school of choice and ask them why they've interviewed me two years running, but haven't let me in yet....but i have no idea what to say, who to talk to, etc....and am just too shy and too afraid to screw things up.......so any advice on how to get past the shyness thing?

Originally posted by camstah
part of me wants to call my school of choice and ask them why they've interviewed me two years running, but haven't let me in yet....but i have no idea what to say, who to talk to, etc....and am just too shy and too afraid to screw things up.......so any advice on how to get past the shyness thing?

I am also an introvert. It's difficult to call, I know. What I did before I called the school is that I would imagine what I would say in order to prevent myself from stuttering or being oncoherent. I also wrote down key ideas and words that I had in front of me to remind me what the next logical idea or question should have been.

Good luck and as my other extroverted friends tell me, "Just do it! You'll have to be much more assertive once you're a doctor...so suck it up and deal!" Yes, that's coming from my friends, but it worked to get get me to call.

Originally posted by dtreese
A buddy convinced me to go talk to the admissions people at UofL today -- not too big a deal since they're 3 blocks from my office. I hadn't gotten a secondary from them & was thinking, "WTF?" Good thing I went there. They emailed me secondary info last week & I never got it. Yet another app. to fill out...

That happened to me too. I'm glad you called. By the time I called, my secondary was way behind all of the other secondaries and now they finally offered me an interview. The sad part is that now that I have been accepted to all of the other schools that were in the original batch, now I can't really go check out this other school because I wanted to have all of my acceptances first, and THEN decide which school I would attend. This school was behind because I was too scared to call and ask about a secondary. It got lost, and I KNOW my neighbors HAD it :mad: .

Just remember to keep following up on those applications. That's tough for me to do since I am also an introvert. Good luck! I know you'll get into school this year!

I agree with Scubadiva...being a doctor....the "introvert" deal will work against you in many instances..and calling the schools will be a first of many steps in learning to asset yourself and deal with people.
I am very extroverted...and love talking to new people...but in med school....one of my closest friends was a total intravert...and talked to maybe 4 out of the 193 people in our class....
I can't imagine the pain and fear of talking to strangers...but I feel for you...

Make the call...and keep the ball rolling...

yosh!

I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full. email me at my school account..

Arnold

I did the school and yahoo...

Thanks!

Originally posted by camstah

You're not an introvert, you're just shy. This is a pet peeve of mine. In my very strongly-held opinion, "introvert" and "shy" are two very different things. I'm the Lord of Introverts... I speak to nobody, I have no friends in my class, and I have gone for two weeks before without uttering a single word to another human being. But I'm not the least bit shy. I don't get nervous around other people or anything like that. If the circumstances demand it, I can hold a perfectly normal conversation about any topic. Shy people want to be extroverts but can't, while real introverts have no desire to be extroverts.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, please carry on. :)

Kim, from the Med Student Diaries, got a fairly low MCAT score. But she had been in touch with TCOM from the beginning. When her score arrived she contacted the school and talked to some people. They were familiar with her because she had been communicating proactively since the beginning.... they accepted her (early admission even) despite her low MCAT.

I am sure this is not always the case, but I imagine that proactive communication might be a good thing.

Originally posted by Chrisobean
so how do we get over this shyness??

I have a natural tendency toward shyness, and what irritates me the most is when people who initially meet me comment on my outgoing personality :mad: . It upsets me because I am NOT extroverted or outgoing by any standards, and I don't believe that I am.

How did I get over the shyness? I didn't, but I think that I've learned hot to present myself as outgoing and assertive. I still believe I am shy :( .

What allowed me to become assertive since that is what a doctor needs to be, not necessarily extroverted or outgoing, was getting older and being forced into an environment that fostered and required assertiveness. It wasn't until I became a teacher where I had to fully take charge of these kids and direct them. It was either I was eaten alive due to my shyness OR I had to assert myself and prevent myself from becoming insane.

Getting over shyness overnight does not happen. It took a few years of aging and maturing to be able to assert myself. I recommend that you expose yourself to an environment where you are forced to be assertive, where being shy is NOT an option (i.e. high school kiddies for me :eek:)! It is uncomfortable at first, but until you face your fear, which is what shyness is, then you will not be able to go over it. I think being in a situation that requires assertiveness in order to get the job done will help you become more assertive. It automatically rolls over into your personal life. Yes, the sad part is that it takes time. It didn't happen overnight for me, but maybe you're a quick study :) .

Good luck! I know how tough it still is for me, despite how others perceive me as being anything BUT shy :mad: . Yes, it deeply upsets me to be perceived as outgoing!

Upsets you to be perseved as outgoing??

Here is a question...has there ever been a episode of emesis in your backseat??

Originally posted by Yosh
Upsets you to be perseved as outgoing??

Here is a question...has there ever been a episode of emesis in your backseat??

:confused:

Yes, there has been, but I'm always prepared for those instances. Yup, it's pathetic, but I have plastic bags in the trunk, just in case.

well, after reading this thread i finally gathered up the courage to try and call the admissions offices of the schools i applied to...only to realize that they are closed for two weeks.....
but hey, at least i tried!!! and, when they reopen, i will call again.......:thumbup: