Taking the GRE at home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynne8832

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody taken the GRE at home? I was going to take it in-person, but there closest testing center to me is 100 miles away. Has anybody taken it online and if so, how was it? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody taken the GRE at home? I was going to take it in-person, but there closest testing center to me is 100 miles away. Has anybody taken it online and if so, how was it? :)
It was completely fine. You’re allowed a mini whiteboard and they ask you to show the camera your surroundings. Other than that I believe it’s a 15 minute break and you’re allowed to leave the room during that time. I took it last summer and felt better taking it at home than being distracted by others.

Reactions: 1 user
I took it at home last August and thought it went great! It felt less stressful than having to go to a testing location. Just make sure you have a good reliable wifi connection prior to starting and have your laptop fully charged or plugged into a charger!

Reactions: 1 user
I took it at home in January and it was great! I recommend taking practice tests in the exact environment you’ll be in (white board and all) to get used to the set up. Other than that it was definitely a more comfortable testing environment for me because I was already familiar with the ambient noise so I knew I wouldn’t get distracted. The whole proctor set up process and test station verification was a bit confusing but overall I loved having the option!