Taking step 3 around when you take step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

renox9

Registered Boozer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask for opinions here. I'm currently doing rotations and alot of the interns I've worked with have been studying for their step 3 exams. Many of them have mentioned to me that they feel the material is very similar to step 2, and that they wish they had just taken it when they took step 2 to take care of it early. What do you think of this?

Thanks!
Renox

Members don't see this ad.

I just looked at the FSMB's website and you're right. Strange, I thought CT (among others) used to allow you to take Step 3 without finishing intern year?

That is impossible. You have to have your medical degree to take step 3.
Most IMGs already have their degree when they take the USMLE, so they could take Step 3 before starting residency. For some who need a certain type of visa, it is required. Not all states allow you to do this, but there are a handful that do.

I have recently passed Step 2 CK and applying for the 07 match...I was wondering the same thing, if I should prepare for Step 3 NOW when I have all the time, OR... wait till residency when I have first-hand knowledge of clinical mgmt, BUT much less time to study.

I just looked at the FSMB's website and you're right. Strange, I thought CT (among others) used to allow you to take Step 3 without finishing intern year?

I know ...that website is confusing......Although it lists post graduate training years required for the state of Connecticut when you call FSMB they will clarify that you still do not need any postgraduate years of training to sit for usmle step 3, but that you do need Step 3 and X pgy training (referring to the chart) for initial licensure for that particular state.

As far as doing better if you take them in rapid succession; I know some IMGs ( who have their medical degrees) who have studied for a year and then took all of their steps (1-3) in anticipation of the match. Some of their scores are off the charts because they were able to allow for blocks of time spent only focusing on USMLE and review courses. The downside they state is after having practiced in their country or some with no experience at all, is: language and learning the US way of things. Some even learned that their 99 was not even considered at some programs who want a certain amount of US clinical experience for them to be considered for the interview.