Taking classes online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postponemastudentloan

Reaction score
I’ve been told that taking pre-requisite classes online is a big no no, but I was wondering if it matters that I take a neurology class online over the summer. I know it’s not a prerequisite for medical school but it is a science class so I thought I’d double check if online classes are looked down upon in general. Also, if non pre-reqs are fine to take online, should I limit the number I take online or it doesn’t really matter as far as admissions committees are concerned?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve been told that taking pre-requisite classes online is a big no no, but I was wondering if it matters that I take a neurology class online over the summer. I know it’s not a prerequisite for medical school but it is a science class so I thought I’d double check if online classes are looked down upon in general. Also, if non pre-reqs are fine to take online, should I limit the number I take online or it doesn’t really matter as far as admissions committees are concerned?

Thanks in advance!
I took a physiology course online over the summer and orgo 2 online as well. Neither of the 2 DO schools I interviewed at had a problem with either. 1 school still has orgo 2 as a prereq requirement. I emailed and ensured it was ok, they were fine with it. For what its worth the MD school I interviewed with didn't say anything about them either. However, neither class was a prereq there. I think you don't want too many online classes in general. How many is too many? I don't know but I don't think 1 is a problem.

Don't expect, inspect. Look at the school's FAQS, if its not stated there, email and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few online classes are fine. As long as your degree isn't online, the majority of course work is not online, and none of the pre-reqs are online. A few schools will consider online pre-reqs, but even those schools limit how many. The most I'm aware of is 8 credits of pre-reqs online, and some of those programs are situation-based (i.e. you were in the military or something). You want to avoid taking them online anyway because even though some schools allow it, it will limit options, and you don't want that.

Anyway, yes a summer online non-pre-req class is fine.

A few online classes are fine. As long as your degree isn't online, the majority of course work is not online, and none of the pre-reqs are online. A few schools will consider online pre-reqs, but even those schools limit how many. The most I'm aware of is 8 credits of pre-reqs online, and some of those programs are situation-based (i.e. you were in the military or something). You want to avoid taking them online anyway because even though some schools allow it, it will limit options, and you don't want that.

Anyway, yes a summer online non-pre-req class is fine.
That’s not true. I’m a non trad and all the DO schools except two said pre reqs can be online from any regionally accredited school.

That’s not true. I’m a non trad and all the DO schools except two said pre reqs can be online from any regionally accredited school.

I was a non-trad myself, and after speaking with different schools, that was the consensus, including the school I attended having taken 2 pre-reqs online myself.

This is good to know, as I would like to take one or two online if possible. I assume something like sociology or maybe Physics would be okay?

This is good to know, as I would like to take one or two online if possible. I assume something like sociology or maybe Physics would be okay?
Not every school accepts them though, so taking even one may limit some of the schools to which you can apply.

It doesn’t matter which course(s) You’d take online though.

Thanks in advance!
I had taken several courses online and didn't have an issue with them, but I did take all science courses on campus.

Thanks in advance!

It should not be an issue. I would consider it an "enrichment" course and not a "pre-requisite" course.

Given everything that was just said, I wanted to bounce some ideas off with you guys

I have planned to take online Biochem (no lab needed) Summer I & Physics II (Online) & Physics II Lab (in person) during summer II
I am aiming to take the September MCAT so I wanted to finish off those courses before the date of the exam while preparing for the test starting early May to provide ample prep time.

Would schools be okay with the lecture being online if the lab was taken in person? I am hoping to apply next cycle as a 3rd year UG trying to avoid any gaps years but given that my Public Health Bachelor doesn't include most pre-reqs it's been hard to fit them all under 3 years.

In total the only courses (science / pre-req that would have online components)
- physics I (hybrid online lecture but recitations and exams in person)
- physics II (fully online lectures, in person exams) -this summer-
- Biochem (online, not sure of exam structure)

Fair to note, my university does not denote courses online with different course codes, taught by in-person faculty just available online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and above all stay safe during these testing times :)

Given everything that was just said, I wanted to bounce some ideas off with you guys

I have planned to take online Biochem (no lab needed) Summer I & Physics II (Online) & Physics II Lab (in person) during summer II
I am aiming to take the September MCAT so I wanted to finish off those courses before the date of the exam while preparing for the test starting early May to provide ample prep time.

Would schools be okay with the lecture being online if the lab was taken in person? I am hoping to apply next cycle as a 3rd year UG trying to avoid any gaps years but given that my Public Health Bachelor doesn't include most pre-reqs it's been hard to fit them all under 3 years.

In total the only courses (science / pre-req that would have online components)
- physics I (hybrid online lecture but recitations and exams in person)
- physics II (fully online lectures, in person exams) -this summer-
- Biochem (online, not sure of exam structure)

Fair to note, my university does not denote courses online with different course codes, taught by in-person faculty just available online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and above all stay safe during these testing times :)

It looks reasonable. However, I should mention that studying for the MCAT usually takes longer than anticipated, especially when doing summer school classes. Years ago, I used to tutor the physical and biological sciences section of the MCAT and I would often hear students say "I will spend 3 months intensively studying for the MCAT." In reality, it took about 6 months.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks reasonable. However, I should mention that studying for the MCAT usually takes longer than anticipated, especially when doing summer school classes. Years ago, I used to tutor the physical and biological sciences section of the MCAT and I would often hear students say "I will spend 3 months intensively studying for the MCAT." In reality, it took about 6 months.

I agree with you! I have already started looking over the biological sciences, social sciences (psych), and CARS sections doing a content review on the weekends prior to dedicating full time studying over the summer. Trying to ease into it the best way I could.

By the looks of things, should be at / around 6 months of review in total (should)

Thank you again, I do appreciate the input

I agree, I only studied for 4 months but in reality it was probably 3 because I got burned out by how intense my studying was, 6 months would have been more appropriate.

So I would be fine taking Biology 1 lecture and lab online at a different 4 year university? It's only online because of COVID-19 and I am taking it at Butler University because it is a lot cheaper than my out-of-state state school.

So I would be fine taking Biology 1 lecture and lab online at a different 4 year university? It's only online because of COVID-19 and I am taking it at Butler University because it is a lot cheaper than my out-of-state state school.
For DO yes.